Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
denisef05

Help me pick a 30 inch undermount SS sink

denisef05
14 years ago

I have settled on an undermount 30 inch stainless steel sink. However, I don't have a clue about what brand. Can I get some suggestions from you all? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

We love our Julien 30" sink. Ours happens to be 0-radius (90° corners), 17" front-to-back, and 10" deep, but they also make other corner options (ever-so-slightly radiused to radiused), and different f-to-b and depth dimensions. Julien sinks are 16 gauge SS (the lower the gauge, the thicker the metal and the better at resisting dents, and quietness). They also come with their own SS strainer baskets (satin nickel baskets, while similar in look, will tarnish or otherwise react poorly to Barkeeper's Friend--BKF, a popular cleaner for SS sinks).

Other popular SS sinks on this forum are Ticor, Blanco (18 gauge?), as well as others. My parents just had an Artisan sink installed (contractor-supplied) and they are very happy with it. I only found positive reviews about them online.

Good luck with your search!

• denisef05
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, cat mom for the information. Especially helpful to know what gauge means! By baskets, do you meant the grid thing that goes on the bottom?

Denise

• rococogurl
    14 years ago

Like catmom I have a Julien sink. Mine is the classic 30 x 16" and while it's nice and deep I'm not loving it as much as she loves hers. I got a disposal so the basket -- often priced separately -- wasn't a benefit.

Must confess I had to fit this sink into old cabinets so I was very restricted to a 16" front-to-back. Also, I had to have something that was in stock -- we didn't have time to wait.

Otherwise, I can't see that mine is all that much nicer than my sister's Franke quality wise. Those are good sinks and, as catmom said, so are Blanco and Ticor -- a big favorite on this forum, and way less expensive.

The critical prices differences seem to be in the gauge 16 vs 18 (16 is heavier). After that, it seems to be a question of features and shopping.

I don't regret my purchase; it's fine, it's handmade and it's installed -- LOL. I wouldn't go with Julien again though unless I had a very specific reason.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

The basket is the drain basket. It was included with our Julien sink (at no extra cost--which they often are with other sinks). We did get our sink grid from Julien, too (that we did pay for separately)--it is SS as well.

At the time (late '06), Julien had lowered their prices to be more accessible to the US market (it's a Canadian company). The price for our sink was comparable to the similarly sized Blanco, which was 18 gauge.

• buffalotina
    14 years ago

I used the Artisan 30 x 18 sink. No problems so far. It's pretty nice. I chose it over the Ticor because the grid had larger open squares and the Ticor grid looked like narrow spacing on the grid. I thought the larger spacing would let veg peelings etc wash down through the grid to the disposal more easily.

• tntwalter
    14 years ago

It's 18 gauge, 10" deep and just under $250!

Proflo sink

• tengofive
    14 years ago

I got the Ticor from Overstock, but it won't get here until tomorrow. I can't wait to see it!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ticor 30

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I like the Oliveri
    Undermount. 30L, 18W and 10 deep. (with my thick
    granite counters being almost 11.5 inches deep)
    Brushed stainless steel, Some insulation to be quiet.

Oliveri makes sinks with any configuation you like.
    They make industrial size, european style and ....
    grids, cutting boards, sink racks, insert tubs....

This is the sink I chose and love it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!