Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
niki_friedman

Help with my first ever "walk-in" pantry design!

Niki Friedman
9 years ago

Hi all-
My kitchen/mudroom/laundry remodel is moving along really well. Cabinetry install is Monday!!!

I now have a lovely stand-in pantry in our mudroom and I'd like to maximize the space (flooring goes in tomorrow!). I'm calling it a stand in because once the shelves are up you will barely be able to take a step! I don't want it to feel like a coffin but i want to cram as much in there as I can! We have a pullout pantry in the kitchen for everyday items so this will hold bulk items from costco like soda, water, beer, paper towels and stuff we don't use everyday (cans, baking items).

What are your suggestions on shelving? We have shelving included in our design build contract and it will be basic adjustable shelving. Need suggestions on depth of shelves and how deep I can go without making it a non-walk in.

I measured it as 64" wide x36" deep. 14" on each side to the door casing. 8ft ceilings. I can also use the inside of the door for storage... i like the elfa options.

Thank you so much!

Comments (10)

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

My walk in pantry is a bit different in dimensions, but it was already built in when we moved in.

The shelves are in a U layout, utilizing the full sides, then a bit deeper shelf on the back wall. So that's what I would suggest to you, utilize that full 14 inches on the sides, and perhaps a 20-24 inch shelf on the back side?

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks BeesNeeds. That's exactly what I was thinking but wanted to hear from others first. Do you feel claustrophobic in your pantry at all? Again, it's not like I'll be hanging out in there but still.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

There are dozens of old threads on pantries to search.

• Buehl
    9 years ago

Check out the Pantry thread in the Gallery...linked below.

FWIW...12" seems to be the best shelf depth. Deep enough for just about anything but not too deep that things get lost on the shelves. With a 12" depth, you can see everything without having to move anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantry photos/ pics of pantries

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

I know you want to use Elpha shelving, but that limits you to 12,16, or 20 inch deep shelves.
    I would do permanent built in shelves 12 to 14 inches deep on the sides and 14 to 16 on the back if you have a lot of large items. I have 11 inches on one side of my walkin and I really like it, but 12 to 14 inches would be better. Copco makes a nice canned good holder 12 inches deep. I have 24 inches on the back wall, but I only use the front half and the corners are hard to access because they are so deep.
    I noticed that you are planning on storing large items like soda and paper towels. Perhaps the back shelf should be as deep as the soda (bottle, cans that you buy)
    We installed our own shelves in our last kitchen and I put the shelves closer together in the middle section (for aluminum foil, etc.. and spaghetti boxes and small items) and then spaced the shelves further apart above and below.
    If it's not too late have an electrician put in a door activated light for the pantry.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Our pantry shelves are 14" and 18" deep. The 14" could be reduced to 11" or 12" and still function well. I like the 18" for large and bulky items.

Here's the 14" deep shelves (to be reorganized today - we waited almost a year to get our sprinkler permit signed off but now it is, as is the final permit, so we're done!).

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Here's the 18". P.S. I would have preferred wood shelving, but my DH really really wanted this metro-shelving. We just got plastic shelf liners and the difference is night and day (very difficult to use without them).

This post was edited by sjhockeyfan on Sun, Dec 7, 14 at 14:07

• theresa2
    9 years ago

The white melamine Elfa shelving is a nice option. My daughter has a similar size pantry as you do. She used 9" shelving on the back wall and deeper shelving on one of the side walls. The 4" shelving on the other side wall was already there--she painted those shelves white and sealed it with poly for durability. The 9" back wall shelving preserved floor space which was ideal in her situation and may work well for you too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Daughter's pantry

• Niki Friedman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi all- thank you for the awesome suggestions!!!

I should clarify that I want to use elfa on the door only. The shelving on the walls will be wood.

I spoke with the project manager and he suggested 12' on the sides and I'm blanking on what he suggested on the back wall. Maybe 18?

Let me go back now and take a good look at all of these great pantry photos you've linked. What would I do without this place?!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Elfa door storage