Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carybk

tension curtain rods as tray dividers?

carybk
12 years ago

I was reading Better Homes and Gardens at the gym (can't remember which issue, sometime in the past few months) and saw a short article on kitchen organization tips. One suggestion was that short tension curtain rods, placed vertically in a cupboard, could work as tray dividers for muffin tins, cookie trays, etc. Has anyone tried this? I think I'd rather have a tray divider that could be screwed in, but I'm curious.

Comments (12)

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

I'd think that it would be too easy to bump the tension rods (you'd need more than one to work at all) out of place in normal usage. It might be fine for evaluating how much space you want for trays, etc.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

I've seen that idea on Pinterest for drawers like this:

{{!gwi}}

Source: imperfecthomemaking.com via Jen on Pinterest

and dividers for baking dishes:

{{!gwi}}

Source: marthastewart.com via Jen on Pinterest

and even for holding bottles under the sink:

{{!gwi}}

Source: via Jen on Pinterest

Our kitchen is 3 days from getting cabinet installed (!!) so I haven't been able to try them yet, but in my current kitchen drawers (I only have a few), I picked up these bamboo dividers at Tuesday Morning and I LOVE them.

{{!gwi}}

Source: amazon.com via Jen on Pinterest

• carybk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, those Pinterest photos were interesting. I wonder how often the rods get knocked loose. Thanks very much to you both.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Wow.
    Those ideas are brilliant! The sides of the cabinets and drawers are sturdy, so you could put the rods in tightly and they'd stay pretty well. I mean, how much pressure do pot tops or hanging a spray bottle give on a rod?

I have those bamboo expanding drawer thingies. I'm hot really hip to them. I'm planning on taking the sideways expanding parts off because they wiggle. I'll probably screw the center part into the drawers so they don't shift.

I also bought these from Lowe's

and am not too thrilled with them for the same reasons. Will probably screw them to the drawers, to.

I also bought these boxes at The Container Store

But the smaller boxes are too small for even my teaspoons. They're also a bit narrow for knives.

I think I'm on a search for the best dividers and might have to make my own with these. These are adjustable and you cut them to the size you want:

But I really like the tension rod idea! I have some medium sized rods I've been moving around and think I'll dig them out today and see how it goes.

Thx for the ideas! :)

Christine

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I absolutely love the spray bottle rod for under the sink. That is brilliant! It would keep them handy and easy to reach. I like how they won't tip over or get disorganized.
    Thanks for posting that!

• carybk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Christine-- for small drawer dividers, I completely recommend the Lee Valley brass channels. They are periodically recommended on this site. They are not very expensive, you knock the tacks into the sides of the drawers, and you can get wood cut inexpensively (we got ours at Lowe's) to exactly your drawer sizes. The dividers slide out (not the tacks) for cleaning. I am not very handy and I installed ours myself.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lee Valley drawer divider channels

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Love the spray bottle idea. I'm totally doing that! Wow- pintrest to the rescue AGAIN! Thanks.

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Waterdamage, I just checked out the other thread and am thrilled. I'm going to buy this weekend when I get paid.

Your name is ironic to me. I have continually new water damage in this house every time I turn around. Currently, it's raining under my porch after new gutter installation. They'll fix it, tho.

I digress.

ICFgreen, if you're local to me (DC/MD/VA you can have my bamboo dividers after I get my LV dividers!

Christine

• carybk
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My name was a mistake. At the time (middle of an emergency renovation) I was sure I wouldn't stay on this forum for long, felt I could not remember any additional logins in my life at all, and decided, with a self-pitying bitter ironic smile, that I could remember the phrase "water damage" for sure as I was using it so regularly in arguments with the insurance company. Now it just feels stupid. But hey. I love the forum.

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

Christine, ah man, I'm in Ohio. Do you have a paypal account? Maybe I could cover shipping?

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

I do have paypal, but that would require me packing them up! (LOL)

Let me get my LV thingies purchased and I'll let you know. Do you just want that bamboo expanding thing? I have two. And the boxes...

Christine

• dejongdreamhouse
    12 years ago

No worries. My cabs just went in today so I have about six weeks before we're in. And yes, just the expanding thing, please. You should be able to email me directly when you're ready.