Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethany4455

Sad about sink position.....pics

Beth
15 years ago

I am on this site often trying to absorb as much as possible. It has been a big help! But I still messed up. I went with a 33' extra deep sink base but at the same time wanted the big Blanco single Silgranite sink. I have no idea what I was thinking. The sink is great and the santa ceceila is beautiful but I can hardly reach into the sink. I am 7mos pregnant now so I am hoping that the 6-8 inches of belly will make a diference when gone. I didn't account for the granite edge to be so thick. I know I had read about a similar problem from another post and should have learned from that. When they came to measure for granite I thought the sink would be forward another inch or so. I should have went with a 36" regular base. But too late as we already paid the plumber and we would have to buy another slab of granite.

Also the single lever faucet we wanted with soap dispencer didn't work b/c of the thick backslpash so we should have tiled a backsplash b/c I only had 2 holes put in granite and now won't get to use my never MT. But I love my Delta facet with seperate handle. We will call to see if granite installers can drill another hole.

One more complaint---Why is it so hard to find a decent plumber?! Finally washed a bunch of dishes for first time today which is when I realized how hard it is to reach sink and went to drain water it leaked out top of disposal...just one of many plumbing problems we have had.

Just venting! sorry so long.

Comments (20)

• craigbass1976
    15 years ago

Is the lip consistent, as in, is there an inch or so along ALL of the front of the cabinets? I can't tell from the picture.

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

Lily, you have given me pause to worry. I'm also going with a Silgranite 33" sink. My KD ordered a 39" base corner cabinet and she said that the distance to the interior of the bowl will be further away than I'm used to. I'm only 5' 4'' and now I'm wondering if I, too, will have a problem. Would you mind telling me what is the measurement from the front edge of your granite (where you lean against) to the inside of the sink. It looks like 6 inches. I might be able to make adjustments which won't happen for at least a month. Thanks
    Maureen

• juliet3
    15 years ago

It looks like the top picture shows some kind of bump-out of the granite. Why is that? That bump-out is the source of your problem. Can those front inches of the granite be cut off to be even with the rest of the counters so that there is no granite bump-out?

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

Juliet - the OP said she has an extra-deep sink base, so the granite actually follows the bump-out of the cabinet.

I hate when stuff like this happens. You'd think the professionals installing it would give the homeowner a heads up, before its not changeable.

• jb1176
    15 years ago

The problem with the water draining out of the disposal may be due to the height of the waste drain in the back of the cabinet. Because the Blanco sink is so deep and there is a disposal attached to the sink, the waste drain may be too high to allow the disposal to drain properly. The plumber should have realized this immediately when he assessed the situation and alerted you that there might be a problem. If this is the cause of the water not draining properly the only solution is lowering the waste drain or getting rid of the disposal.

Let us know what the plumber decides is the problem. Good luck! By the way it shouldn't be a problem to drill another hole for your soap dispenser. Your fabricator should be able to do that easily.

• golddust
    15 years ago

I'm hoping in two months your beautiful sink will work better for you.

Wish I could lend you our plumber. He's amazing!

• morton5
    15 years ago

Oh, that is too bad. I wonder if you could get a deeper (front to back) sink and recut the front edge of the sink cut-out?

Your view looks gorgeous, BTW.

• jax1723
    15 years ago

Not really going to solve the problem but maybe you could put in a sink/drain rack in the sink to raise it up a bit so it's more comfortable.

• Fori
    15 years ago

Just got over the pregnant thing and it makes a huge difference. A sink rack will help tons, even after you get narrower. Cheer up--it's gonna work!

• Beth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am 5'6". The distance from granite to sink is 6.25".
    The lip is 1.25" --it sure seems bigger. The granite is 3cm thick. I don't think the lip can be cut down because I think it can only be polished at fabrication place which means taking out granite. Hopefully it won't be to bad after belly shrinks but if so I will think about spending the money to fix it.
    Thanks for the plumbing advice. The plumber is supposedely the supervisor of the biggest plumbing company in our small town. But I am not sure of the quality of work. Our drain fitting in sink is crooked and we are afraid to run dishwasher tomorrow when electrician puts power to it because he may have crimped the drain pipe. Aren't kitchen remodels pretty common and disposal and diswasher installation fairly routine for busy plumbers? We'll see what happens.

• melanie1121
    15 years ago

I had a similar problem. The granite fabricator, in my opinion, made the cut out for the sink too far back...I would have liked it a little closer since I'm 5' 2". However, I have to say I truly adjusted. Once you have the baby I'm sure you will adjust as well. By the way, your kitchen looks beautiful, best of luck with the baby and happy holidays.
    Melanie1121

I asked the fabricator to cut out that purplish "dot" and bring the sink closer...however he forgot during the counter fabrication! I named the purple spot "Johnny Granite" after the granite guy. "Don't worry, be happy".

• mbarstow
    15 years ago

Thanks Lily. The distance that I have right now is 5" from the edge of counter to the sink's opening, and maybe that's why I get such a backache when I am standing at the sink for an extended length of time. I have an overhang (lip) of 1.75" in front, so maybe that's something I need to consider when having the granite fabricated for our new kitchen. My son's Silgranite sink is also installed in a corner base cabinet and his measurement is only 3 inches. But he said he cut the cabinet to accommodate the sink. Lordy, have a learned a lot on this forum. Now if I can just remember it all.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Unless there is a reason I can't see, that sink was placed too far back. I have a bumped out sink base and only have about 3" in front of the sink. I did ask them to put the sink as far forward as possible, but what from I understood from those "in the biz" here on the forum, that is standard. You should have had to have signed off on it, and especially anything that was outside the norm, and over 6" is way outside the norm. I think they goofed.

Sue

• merimom
    15 years ago

Lily....I have the same size sink base cabinet (not installed yet). We are still trying to pick out a sink. So, is the problem that the sink is too wide to pull forward into the clipped corners of the cabinet? Would a slightly smaller sink have worked better? What size is your sink? What dimensions would have worked better? I too want a big sink, but maybe I should go with something a little smaller?

Our KD suggested the extra deep sink cabinet so that we would have more room in back to clean around our faucet, but I guess I never thought about the space in the front. I'm sure your problem will dimish greatly once you get that bouncing baby out of the way. :-) (congrats!)

What does everyone think is an optimal distance from front of counter to sink?

• kitchen1921
    15 years ago

The sink IS too far back -- it doesn't look evenly framed by the granite, it's not centered. That said, as far as function goes, once you have that baby you should be good to go. I remember when I was hugely pregnant (both times) not being able to use my very regular sink!

I actually think you'll find the 5" in front might come in handy for things like balancing hot pots for draining, having a convenient place to temporarily rest your sponge while washing dishes, and keeping splashy water off the cabinets (which are lovely!). Best of luck with the sink and the BABY! :)

• azstoneconsulting
    15 years ago

Lilly-

Do you have a "tip out" drawer in front of the sink?

This may explain why the sink is set back as far as it is.....

Otherwise - there's no excuse in my opinion - Sink placement is critical
    when it comes to customer satisfaction, because if a guy puts the sink in the
    wrong position (too far back) - everything else that he did "right" will get
    cancelled out EVERY TIME the customer "bellies up" to the sink! They'll get
    reminded of the goof up.

Sink placement and "set back" (typically around 4" from the front edge of the
    stone) should be finalized BEFORE the sink is cut - not after. I know that this
    is kind of like talking about the steers AFTER they got out of the corral...

But - IF you are not happy - NOW is the time to express it to your fabricator -
    while you still (hopefully) have some of what you owe him (dollars that is)

hope that helps

kevin

• Beth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of the responses--It sure does make the situation better to have you all out there to help. Hopefully I can help someone else prevent this from happening to them. The sink is made to just fit a 33" cabinet. Most sinks fit for a 33" cabinet are smaller. We thought about sending it back at first but shipping would have been outrageous because it is HEAVY and I really like it. We bought an extra sink from the local store (just a regular ss)in case the granite measure people thought it was too big but they didn't see a problem with it. Looking under the cabinet there is about an inch or so that it could have been forward and I am sure they could have given me the option to shorten the lip in this case but I didn't think about. But because it is an unusual distance you would have thought that the granite fabricators would have addressed it. It should have been obvious to them. The guys who came to measure were well aware that the sink needed to be as far forward as possible. I would have went with the alternate sink if they mentioned anything about a 6.25" sink edge. If only we could go back in time. They already have all of our money.

Is there any way they could shave off some of the lip w/o destroying the cabinet and polish it somewhat? I do not have a tip out drawer. I guess I could call and ask but am assuming it is impossible.
    Here is a link to the sink--which is awesome!
    http://blancocanada.com/frames/BlancoStart.htm?/pages/Catalog.htm
    Melanie1121: My favorite color is purple so I like Johnny the dot.
    Also the plumber may come this evening to address the disposal problem if he has time. The dishwasher does not leak--we just ran it b/c the electrician is here---yay!!!
    Thanks again everyone! HAPPY HOLIDAYS...

• davidro1
    15 years ago

I have cut stone myself and lived to tell the tale. Someone experienced can make a straight cut and you can spray water on the blade and on the cut to keep the dust down. In the Spring when you can air out the house you can plan to cut a straight line in the granite and get rid of the dust in the air and the water on the floor. Polishing it afterwards is another smaller amount of dust and another type of job, more attention to detail than strength. My saying this is not a strong recommendation to do this; it is information that is intended to be neutral. What you do next is up to you and I won't be posting again to keep on saying "yes you can" since it really is up to you, your comfort level, your helpers with saws, etc.

HTH
    -david

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'd get a new sink base face that is straight across. 6.25 inches is going to cost you far more in resale...it's WAY WAY off of normal, and while you might get used to it, it's wrong, which most consumers are going to figure out when they see it.

3 to 4" is normal, typically closer to 3, but NEVER six. Three and a half allows a standard tip out (I have this on one sink). 3" on inset cabs does not allow for a tip out (I also have this). I went for the 3" because I do care about the long term issues, and I like my back. Pregnant or not...it's going to be a long term problem.

If you change the front, you can then have the granite folks shave off the lip and make your kitchen functional.

• Beth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the advice igloochic. After reading your post I decided to forward a link to this post to the granite company. We are planning on selling in a couple of years, which was a big reason to remodel in the first place. Your right--it may hold up the sale of the house. Hopefully between the KD, and the granite company we can come up with a happy solution.