Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
queenofmycastle0221

Pros and Cons of Sink in Island

It is probably going to be a year or so before I can really do my "dream" kitchen but after much deliberations I am thinking I will flip flop my master bedroom and kitchen when I do. (It was what the floor plans called for but folks who built home changed it!) It will put the kitchen in the rear of the house near the patio, outdoor kitchen and hot tub. I have talked to a friend who is a contractor and he thinks the best route would be to change the current double window (centered on the only exterior wall)to a set of french doors that opens out onto the patio. If I did this the sink would have to face an interior wall I have that setup now!:UNLESS I put the sink in the island facing the french doors. I was hoping you could share some pros and cons of placing it there. I would rather close in the majority of the space to have a smaller window over the sink but I can see his point since my back view is beautiful!

Thanks

Comments (26)

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

I don't have that configuration myself but I've often thought about how an island sink would work in my home. I have a few inspiration pics for you! Some of these are GIS grabs for "sink in island", some are from mags and some are from GWers (if anyone recognizes any of these kitchens and can give me the name of the owner/s, I'd like to change the tags in my Photobucket to "Whoever on GW Kitchen"-thanks!).

{{!gwi}}

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I thought about that idea--very briefly. But then I thought about the dirty dishes sitting out on the island all the time. Even when I'm keeping up on the dishes, there's usually something dirty sitting around. I decided I wouldn't want dirty dishes so visible to me and to anyone else who walked in. Those pics look great. Think about how they would look after a meal. If you are fanatical about keeping dirty dishes/utensils/glasses off the counter, then go for it. I think a wall-facing sink is better than island sink, but you might be different.

Is there any other way to reconfigure your space to get the sink somewhere else? If you post a detailed floor plan with measurements as described in the "Read Me" post, you'll get lots of good ideas.

BTW, on that second pic from bottom--I think that is just a prep sink, not cleanup sink.

• inthehollow
    13 years ago

I have this set-up and love it! I love working at the island - either at the sink or chopping or whatever - and looking outside. My table and a rocking chair are also in that direction, so I'm talking, too.

I just snapped a couple pictures - not really a GW-approved layout, but I really love it and it works so well for me.

So a picture with dishes drying and my husband's lunch bag and coffee mug sitting on the island. I also just finished a batch of Christmas cookies, which was great to spread out on the island before they went in the oven. While I wouldn't be thrilled if a visitor dropped in now, I can't imagine it would be a lot different if the sink were on the other wall. And hopefully they'd be distracted by the smell of fresh-baked cookies!

• hsw_sc
    13 years ago

The pic with the purple flowers or the aqua cabinet kitchen? Purple flowers is the "Something's Gotta Give" kitchen and aqua cabs is the 2000-something Coastal Living Idea House kitchen which is also a main sink.

• fiveunderfive
    13 years ago

If any one knows who the first pic belongs to, I'd love the info. It has an open floor plan that is very similar to our design, and I'd love to see more pics or more info.

Thanks!

• corgi_mom
    13 years ago

We are building a new home and the kitchen sink will be in the island. We are closely following a layout we found in a model home so, since I have seen it already, I know I will like it. This one has a raised "breakfast bar", for lack of a better name, that will hide a lot of clutter. My view from the sink will be into the family room. I think it'll be good. But time will tell!

We are also doing a raised dishwasher next to the sink. [The bar is same height. All one piece of granite.] It's kind of hard to describe. That'll be different from the model home so I am keeping my fingers crossed that looks good and functions better. The dishwashers in the stores all look so low these days. My back can't take all the bending down.

I am looking forward to the countertop over the dishwasher being a nice display area for a vase of fresh flowers. I don't have that now.

• holligator
    13 years ago

The first pic is from jaymielo's kitchen--one of my favorites! (link below)

As for the OP's question, I think it depends on the size of your island. If you have room for a really big island, like some of those pictured, I think an island sink can be a great choice. For a more average sized island, a clean-up sink can overwhelm the space and make the island seem perpetually cluttered.

Do you have the option of having a clean-up sink and a prep sink? If so, you could put your clean-up sink on the perimeter and the prep sink in the island. The prep sink takes up less room, tends to have less accumulation of clutter, and will splash others less than a main clean-up sink, making it more suitable for an island. Also, when I'm cleaning up, I don't especially like to linger at the sink, so the view isn't so important. When I'm prepping, that can take much longer, so being able to have a nice view matters more.

Here is a link that might be useful: jaymielo's gorgeous kitchen

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Holli--thanks for posting that link...to die for! Goodness....the tile, the soapstone, the QS oak! Droooooool.

• lindamarie
    13 years ago

They just addressed this issue on This Old House. They said a sink/stove in the island is a waste of usable prep space. And there will be issues of water splashing on books and people. Not a good idea.

I do not like sinks facing a wall either.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I think working at your sink and looking out at a pretty view is a great idea!

If your sink faces the french doors, how many people are going to see if you have a dish or two sitting on the island?

Design your kitchen for how it will work for you and your family...that's who is going to use it every day :)

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

I think a sink with a view is most important if you are lucky enough to have one. It makes work that much more pleasant. It certainly helps if your island is a decent size.

inthehollow...I love your kitchen. Do you have more photos? What color are your cabs?

• momqs
    13 years ago

We have our prep sink in the island an it's a fairly big island (10.5 ft x 3 ft). I love it but I can't imagine the cleanup sink in the island if the island will have stools for sitting. I like my cleanup area out of the main flow of the kitchen.

• sue_b
    13 years ago

I really like my sink in the island facing the outside view. I get most stuff in to the DW after using it and stack stuff in the right side of a the 1 3/4 size sink. With sink grids you can leave handwashed stuff to drip dry in one side of the sink. I also tend to put washed, clean pots over to the far right on the stove to dry. This works well for us and still leaves a lot of island countertop (11 feet x ~ 4 feet) for prep, a seated visitor, or a tray of food during entertaining. I never wish I had placed the sink someplace else.

• pittsburghdweller
    13 years ago

We have a sink in our island that was put in by previous owners. It doesn't bother me one bit, I get to interact with my husband or guests while working at the sink (the dining room is directly in front of the island).

Water does not splash on people or the dining table like I thought it would and I get to look out of the windows that are on the opposite side of the kitchen.

Go for it!!

• isletwoisle
    13 years ago

Another vote in favor of an island sink here! My only other choice was against a wall, and that's just not my idea of a fun way to do dishes. Most of those here have a lot of room on the counter between the sink edge and island edge; we only have 14" -- which I think is about the bare minimum to avoid splashing over (we have no problems with splashing or anything, and the seating is at the other end of the island where there's more room). Having the sink open to the family room keeps me engaged with the activities there, and at the same is a great incentive to keep the area tidy (and to clean-up pretty quickly after each meal)! I like keeping it looking spiffy anyhow, and having a new kitchen has been a terrific incentive in that regard -- helps me keep that "brand new feeling".

• inthehollow
    13 years ago

Hi oldhouse1 - Thanks for the compliment! Our cabinets are sage green. If you search my username, you'll see some other posts/pictures. Still waiting to install the mantle over the fireplace before posting finished pics.

Our island is 83 x 44, and I don't notice any splashing beyond more than 3-4" behind the faucet.

• gaucho_gordo
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Consider dishwasher placement and dish storage, especially glassware. It's most convenient if everyday dishes, flatware, and glassware are stowed within a step of the DW (a pivot without a step is even better). To that end, plates, bowls, and flatware stow great in drawers in an island, but glassware in drawers is more awkward I think, so I'd recommend placing the dishwasher within a step of the glassware storage wall cab.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Although this thread is 5 years old, I wanted to comment on one thing in bantar's post with which I strongly disagree - "Reversing this we're really saying: Try not to put your main sink against a boring flat wall if it can be helped. Pick a more tolerable spot." When I'm washing dishes (which is extremely infrequently - why would anyone be spending time washing dishes in this day and age?), I'm washing dishes, not looking out the window, not watching TV, and not conversing. Washing dishes. Having a "tolerable view" may have made sense before dishwashers, but is no longer relevant.

• Allen Heitz
    7 years ago

As to bantar's statement of "A technical note for any potential home builders. All sinks need a viable air supply, which is typically a vertical vent stack in the wall that protrudes thru your roof. When putting in an island sink, a vent stack is not possible. Search for "kitchen island plumbing loop" to see pictures." I will just say this... As a former Chicago plumber loop vents when done properly are a perfectly viable source of air. There are vent stacks, stack vents, common vents and relief vents in plumbing systems. As long as the vent line on a loop vent can drain any condensation it may collect into the drainage system it is fine. Drainage systems when properly sized only fill 1/3 of the pipe and combined with venting allow for proper drainage. Loop vents do require a little more piping , and depending on the distance needed maybe thicker floor joists to allow for pitch. The only limitation is the allowed horizontal distance of a vent line according to your local plumbing code.

• Allen Heitz
    7 years ago

Also yes those loop vents do go to the closest available wall. Once they transition to a vertical aspect they are called stack vents.

• creatureofchaos
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have an island with a deep farmhouse sink that faces into my main living area. I love it and don't really understand what the "mess" problem is everyone is worried about. Knives and prep bowls get washed as you cook and put back where they belong, or put into the dishwasher as you go. Pots I can't wash up immediately soak during dinner, hidden in the deep sink, and get a quick washup afterwards. And after the meal, dishes just get put into the dishwasher. It seems pretty straightforward. Even when I host very large multi-course dinner parties and use things that aren't dishwasher friendly, like my sterling flatware, I just put things in a dishpan to soak as I clear each course and wash up after. Am I that unusually tidy, or is this a non-problem?

• cpartist
    7 years ago

It's a non problem. I'm not unusually tidy and we've never considered it a problem having the sink in the island.

• amylachney
    7 years ago

I don't have one yet, but am a couple weeks away from moving into my new build with a big farm sink in an island open to the living room, and I can't wait!

I have four small kids (5 years old down to newborn at the moment) and pretty much all I do is wash dishes. I've never found a dishwasher that allows me to just put used stuff in without washing first, so being able to be part of the family (and see what my kids are doing!) while doing dishes is important to me. I can't imagine how it could be a problem unless someone does dishes like once a week and just lets them pile up like crazy.

• vignewood
    6 years ago

I have a sink in my island and I do not like it. Water spatters, it looks messy during a dinner party, I cannot use the island as a food bar to serve dinners. We are going to put a raised eating bar across the island on the living room side to hide the sink, prevent splashing when eating there and give me an area to set out food.

• Connie Bundy
    2 years ago

I do my dishes only when i run out of clean dishes! i have never been interested in doing dishes when there are other things i can do instead at @ 70, i don’t think my hsbits are going to change i am building a ”custom” house, because local builders claim its what sells it is also far cheaper to put in an island than a full wall, and very few cabinets, which are a big part if a kitchen’s cost . they just throw in a pantry with basic shelves and those open shelves are far cheaper than lining the walls with cabinetry, but the price of houses keeps going up!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths