Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's talk switch plates

Posted by peridot44 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 16:36

What's the general consensus regarding switch plates in the kitchen? I've looked at some pictures and most of what I see seems to be white.

We are not having a back splash. (GASP) So, I was thinking about getting a little decorative with the switch plates. But, I may not be that courageous. On the bright side, they're easy to change if I don't like them.

We're doing the dime-a-dozen modern day style: White cabinets, soapstone counter, butcher block counter, and hw floors. Wall paint is pale, pale, butter yellow.

Any thoughts? Anyone have photos of their switch plates?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's talk switch plates

My thoughts are that Switchhits.com is a great place to start, if you haven't been there already. Tons of switch plates. I've ordered from there a few times now and have been very happy with the quality of my items. Seems like they have a decent selection of about everything.

o

We used Arnev.com for the wood switchplates; unfinished cherry that we had finished by the cabinet manufacturer, and natural maple (birch?) that was finished, but not stained (they were used inside the cabinets):

Pics:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We also had stone switchplates made for our bathrooms by Columbia Gorge Stoneworks. Pricey, but we felt they'd add a nice finishing touch to the bathrooms (we saved "here" so we could splurge "there").

Pics:

o

We used something to compliment our black granite and stainless steel appliances. They are called Aspire and come in different colors. Very similar to the Lutron brand which are more expensive but much easier to find.

Jodi-

o

Jodi, your cabinets and backsplash are gorgeous and the switch plate is a great accent!

o

Catmom: where did that divine circle tile come from?

o

Catmom and jodi_in_socal - what pulls are those? That's the type of shape I want but have been too busy to hunt down.

o

I have Mulberry "wrinkled" switch plates planned. They're paintable. I don't have a backsplash and haven't really worried about it. It's so far in the future for me, after I change my countertops to soapstone!

Anyway, they're nice. They're a bit wider and paint does adhere.

There are also some very cute and fun switchplates. You're right, that if you don't like them, they're very easy to [ahem] switch out.

o

Circle tile is from Porcelanosa (~2 1/2 years ago?), but we purchased it through a local tile place (they give us a very good discount).

Handles on the cabs are from Valli&Valli. We used all three sizes in our kitchen (mostly the middle size, but used the largest size on the DW, trash cab, and cab over the fridge, and used the smallest one on our smallest width drawer which is to the left of the range). We got an excellent price on them as well! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Valli&Valli A 230 Handles

This post was edited by cat_mom on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 11:41

o

Thank you all for your replies.

o

Thanks Fishymom.

Cabinet pulls are Kraftmaid Satin Chrome 5" (Style 205). They were just under $7 a piece back in late 2007 when we purchased them.

Jodi-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here