Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graciepunkin

Anyone heard of Crystal Pearl granite? Pics

graciepunkin
15 years ago

Has anyone heard of Crystal Pearl granite or know this granite by another name? The granite yard told us they just received this granite for the first time. I forget the country of origin. They also told us it is exotic (of course it isÂugh!) I googled it but didnÂt have any luck. These pictures do not do this granite justice. Thanks!

Does not have blue tones in person...

Comments (29)

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Oh my!! Never heard of it, but it is breathtaking!!

• vrjames
    15 years ago

graciemay,

Thank you for visiting our showroom, Crystal Pearl is actually a true quartzite from Brazil. It is harder than a granite.

Blessings
    James

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Now that looks like a jewel!

Stunning with your cabinets!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

well... I was going to guess a quartzite but our resident granite expert chimed in with the facts so I'll just add another BEAUTIFUL comment! Go for it!!

• graciepunkin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

James,

This is your showroom? Small world! Can you explain what 'true quartzite' is and how it compares to granite (or where I can find additional information)? Is this indeed an exotic?

Thanks for your help!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

That is stunning!

• paulines
    15 years ago

I think for the next picture James should be doing a vanna white (you know, pointing at the stone along with a few sweeping motions).

That slab is fabulous!

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

That is a stunning slab!!! I can see the depth of that stone, even in the pictures. Are you getting that one?? You should....it is breathtaking!!

• vrjames
    15 years ago

OK, graciemay, I shall try to be brief.

I am not a geologistbut I do play with rocks all day. It is a great job.

Quartzites are a fairly new material on the market. And tend to be quite pricey. Here is why.

They are substantially harder and denser than granites. Therefore the tradititional gang saws could not cut them properly. They were first introduced about 6 years ago and were terrible. The material always had serious issues.

Over the past few years new diamond wire technology has improved to the point that the materials can be processed to a very high quality.

Just for example, a typical block of granite takes 12 to 24 hours on a gang saw to cut. A block of quartzite on a high speed wire saw takes 2 to 4 days. The material is that hard.

Now, I referred to this as a "true quartzite" because there have been quite a few materials brought onto the market and sold as quartzites to get a higher price, when in fact they are not. A material that shows up on the GW regularly is called Super White, Andromeda White, we call it Cypress, and there are a few other names for it.
    It is not a quartzite, although it has some hard quartzite tendencies, it has soft spots that scratch and etch like a marble.

The other major plus about quartzites is they have marble type appearances. Azul do mar, Blue Macubus, Sienna Pearl, Apollo, Capolovora, Kalahari, Bamboo Yellow, Bamboo Green are all prime examples of the vivid colors available.

Hope that helps.

James

• somanychoices
    15 years ago

Hi, James -

Is White Fantasy a true quartzite? I have also heard that it is called Palisades White or White America. It is white and gray and comes from Brazil, I think.

graciemay, the Crystal Pearl is really beautiful!

• vrjames
    15 years ago

White Fantasy is the material I referred to, that has quartzite tendencies, but in our experience has the potential for scratching and etching. It is what we call Cypress and we sell it as a marble.

• somanychoices
    15 years ago

Thanks, James. Is there anything that can be done, besides sealing, to protect against etching/scratching of White Fantasy? Or ways to buff out any scratching/etching if the White Fantasy is polished?

graciemay, sorry to hijack your post, but I've been searching for anwers to these questions for a while:).

• vrjames
    15 years ago

Choices,
    Sealing does not deter etching or scratching.

Any etches or scratches can be professionally repaired by an expert. It is not a DIY project.

Our experience with this material when it was introduced as a quartzite about 3 years ago was bad. We bought it polished and had to pay to have 2 kitchens honed in place due to the scratching and etching.

Now we sell it honed only as a marble. It is a perfectly good material as long as you treat it as such.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

so, james, are you saying that the quartzite stains and etches?

(and by the way-- it is GORGEOUS!! wow!)

• ptyles
    15 years ago

Oh wow, I love that stone!! You are going with the same color scheme that I think we are leaning toward.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

True quartzites Do Not stain or etch.

White Fantasy aka all the other names mentioned are not quartzites, but are sometimes sold as such.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

so, james, (and sorry to hijack), how does one know if a stone yard is selling true quartzite. I've seen a lot of serpentine marketed as soapstone, so I'm wondering if there's a way to tell for sure with quartzite.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

there is not a way. Even from a supplier side, we can only do our best. And the information does not always get out to all employees within a company well enough. Some employees remember facts differently as well. This is not a simple business for those of us in it.

As a customer, doing your homework and finding people you can trust is crucial.

• vrjames
    15 years ago

there is not a way. Even from a supplier side, we can only do our best. And the information does not always get out to all employees within a company well enough. Some employees remember facts differently as well. This is not a simple business for those of us in it.

As a customer, doing your homework and finding people you can trust is crucial.

• graciepunkin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information James! And thanks to everyone for the nice comments and validating my love for this stone! WeÂve been searching awhile now for a white granite but really havenÂt found the one until we stumbled upon the Crystal Pearl quartzite.

• tanem
    15 years ago

I love this quartzite. Where did you find it? Thanks

• megradek
    15 years ago

this looks just like slabs I found under the name "mother of pearl" quartzite (in chicago). stunning, gorgeous, and beyond expensive. If someone can afford this I would love to come over and see it installed since I had to pass on it...sniff, sniff :(

• clg7067
    15 years ago

I was going to say it looks like a Quartzite. I have a silver quartzite tile in my foyer and I'd LOVE some of that in a 12 inch tile for my powder room! I'll have to keep looking around.

It really is beautiful!

• graciepunkin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bump for MrsStormy...

• Elaine _M
    2 years ago

I have to bump this the informaion on quartz is the best I have seen! I tried to see where @vrjames is located!

• vrjames
    2 years ago

Elaine

i was with G&L Marble for 8 yrs

and in the industry for 15 years

unfortunatelt G&L went out of business in 2011

• Elaine _M
    2 years ago

@vrjames You have so much knowledge. I have saved this to read thoroughly. Ga or NC?

• Elaine _M
    2 years ago

@vrjames, I love Italian! I am thinking about doing Cambria Quartz. I am not sure I will love it in the kitchen but I like white. Someone just told me they saw a pretty gray. I am researching grays now. 🤷‍♀️