Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wonderrn

Rustic Kitchen

wonderrn
11 years ago

My husband and I started our kitchen reno. last March. Mostly a DIY project, we still have some finishing touches. We knocked down the wall between the kitchen and dining room, moved the back door to provide some more storage/counter space, replaced large window in dining room with slider leading out to new deck, converted to gas, replaced window, new lighting, the list goes on and on. Alder cabinets by Starmark, Soapstone counters, slate backsplash, copper sink and vinyl flooring by Metroflor. I love viewing everyone's kitchens and thought I would share my own. Modest in its own right, we love it and couldn't be happier.

Comments (25)

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

adding photos one at a time...not sure how to post multiples on same post.

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

additional photo

• grlwprls
    11 years ago

It looks very cozy and I like the over sink lantern!

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Warm and lovely. Congrats!

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

I love your up to the ceiling cabinets and it was so smart to put in the sliding doors. The backsplash over the window is lovely. Good luck in your beautiful new space and Happy New Year.

• dutchaccent
    11 years ago

I love your new kitchen. Your lay-out is very much like ours, except your kitchen is bigger. We are just about to order our cabinets and I hope our kitchen will be as inviting as yours is. That is a vinyl floor? Did you install it yourself? It looks fabulous!!

• springroz
    11 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen!! I adore those alder cabinets, and the copper sink is great!

Good work!!

Nancy

• taggie
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! I too love that lantern over the sink - where did you get it? And the backsplash is gorgeous too. Love the cabinets and counters and how the whole works together. And it was a great choice to pull out the fridge surround to house the deeper fridge, it's such a polished look.

You also need to post a picture in the 'does your kitchen match your dog' thread ... your pooch is the perfect accessory to your wonderful new kitchen!!

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

Quite beautiful. Those alder cabinets are stunning!

• rovo
    11 years ago

Such a warm and inviting space. I especially like the backsplash and window lantern. Truly lovely!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Congratulations! Love that copper sink (I am having sink envy these days even though ours is only a few months old0
    Love all of your lighting.
    Your backsplash pulls it all together!
    Have fun cooking in this new year!
    When you master photo 101 - would love to see how you stored things in your drawers!

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

You achieved the look with beautiful selections. The backsplash is phenomenal. Are the cabs knotty alder? they are gorgeous. Tell us about the BS!!!!

• kellienoelle
    11 years ago

Really pretty! I always marvel at the talent of the DIYer's. I love the way your cabinets are to the ceiling and backsplash frames the window. It makes the entire kitchen look very warm. Congrats to you!

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Gorgeous! Everything is great--cabs, copper sink, counter, sn BX, and the lantern over the sink is a cool feature.

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

"Modest in its own right, " HUH ?
    "Alder cabinets by Starmark, Soapstone counters, slate backsplash, copper sink and vinyl flooring by Metroflor"
    Not "modest" BEAUTIFUL !
    I had to go back to look for the copper sink--lovely
    The Alder cabinets & Soapstone look great together and I too like the lantern light.

• twingle
    11 years ago

lovely, thanks for sharing.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

I love how the black chairs tie it all together. Great backsplash. I've gone rustic as well, so I was wondering what kind of window treatments you are planning for your sliding doors.

Great reno! Enjoy.

• Yvonne B
    11 years ago

Very nice - warm and welcoming.

• calimama
    11 years ago

Love it! Your kitchen has similar finishes as mine, I think we even have the same backsplash. Love the lantern also and have been looking for something similar. Really nice job!

• prospect711
    11 years ago

Great looking kitchen! I really like that sink. I think we have the same backsplash. I recommend undercabinet lighting if you don't already have it.
    Our cabs are natural cherry, but the look is quite similar.

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,
    Thankyou everyone for the lovely comments. To answer some of your questions:
    The floor is vinyl-metroflor-solidity 30, appalachian stone series. 16 inch squares that my husband offset(?proper terminology). Love the floor, so easy to keep clean, especially with 2 boys and 2 dogs. Also, has lifetime residential warranty.
    Backsplash is copper rust corrinth from tile shop-looks like others have also used it. We still need to seal and grout it.
    The lantern is an outdoor lantern that I purchased from a local lighting store in MA where we are from. I searched for months before I found exactly what I was looking for.
    Yes, we do have under cabinet lighting...I don't use them that often, prefer to just put the lantern on at night.
    I've posted a couple additional photos of living room curtains and dining room...in the dining room, my husband actually took a piece of black iron pipe,3/4 inch, we painted and put decorative end pieces. We wanted to be able to push curtains all the way back during the day and then close at night for privacy. The pipe is sturdy enough that it doesn't sag without having center support. Allows us to not have a curtain on the side of the slider that we enter/exit from.
    Thanks again for the great comments.

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

another photo of curtains

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a little dark picture-but kitchen curtains closed

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

picture of curtains opened up

• wonderrn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Last year my husband put in a woodstove firplace insert and replaced the paneling on that wall with knotty pine, stone fireplace, slate hearth and new mantle. This served as our inspiration for the rustic kitchen. Wanted to create a no frills, comfortable, warm inviting space. Great place to relax, especially cold winter nights.