Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beaglesdoitbetter1

Amazing Granite Installation!! (LOTS of pics!)

beaglesdoitbetter1
12 years ago

Our blue bahia installation has just finished!!!!!!!!!

Our granite installers (Sinai Marble and Granite in Baltimore) did an absolutely impeccable job, from the way they lined up the veins to the seam, which really is virtually invisible!! I could NOT be happier with the care they took or with the way the stone turned out!!

Check it out!

In progress/Polishing. The installers were there for several hours making sure every detail was perfect and finishing off with polishing and then sealing:

Can you find the seam? It's there- I promise!

There it is- only with an extreme closeup can you see it:

The fireplace:

Comments (52)

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

Beagles- you must be so happy. Looks great!

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Beagles- It's beautiful! The island is amazing and I can just picture looking across it and seeing the mural, behind the range. Also, the fireplace is so pretty. Just love it with the blue :)

• cjc123
    12 years ago

WOW! Stunning!! Not only is the island a masterpiece but the way the hearth veining flows up and conintues up the fireplace is increadible. Now cover those babies up ;-)and protect till the end.

• debrak_2008
    12 years ago

So beautiful... you made a fantastic choice for your island.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

That is one fantastic looking island! And the rest of your kitchen is not too shabby either! I love the blue and like how you used it on the fireplace too. You must feel like your dreaming when you look at it that amazing granite. I've never seen anything like it at any of the granite yards I've ever been to.
    I can't wait to see your final reveal.

• Linda
    12 years ago

Spectacular!

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

unbelievable stone!!

the bookmatched slabs are gorgeous and the installation looks perfect.

I hope those chandeliers are sapphire blue crystal :)

Stunning everything..

• KBH
    12 years ago

That granite is simply stunning and the seam was almost impossible to see even with the extreme closeup. How happy you must be.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Fantastic!
    You have worked so hard on this with research, searching,
    learning, planning, investigation, analysis, consideration,
    judgement, design, creative reviews... I think it is worth
    all the effort. You must be so proud of the results.
    Fantastic.
    Truly fantastic.
    ~boxerpups

• macybaby
    12 years ago

Even my husband said "wow"

Then he said, "that's not an island, that's the ocean around an island".

• blfenton
    12 years ago

The markings in your granite are stunning.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Wow! Great stone, great seam, great installers. You must feel relieved to have finally found an establishment capable of handling that special rock. Huge sigh of relief! What a huge step towards moving in....

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Just amazing!! Congrats!

• westleyandbuttercup
    12 years ago

That is the most striking counter I have ever seen. Beautiful!

• Jody
    12 years ago

STUNNING!!!! That stone is gorgeous!!! ENJOY ;)

jody

• pors996
    12 years ago

Looks great what size Island is that?

• bahacca
    12 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! I've been MIA for a bit, so a nice treat to have this at the top of the page on my return!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

Holy cow! Absolutely stunning! The stone itself is a marvel and the installation looks absolutely perfect. Your home is coming together beautifully. Thanks for sharing.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

haha macybaby, I like that.

The island is around 13 feet long and 4 1/2 feet deep (a little deeper at the bow-out area).

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

That's a continent ...not an island! It's breathtaking, beyond beautiful. I am so happy for you beagles. I know how much thought you put into this and it's gorgeous. It's so wonderful when things turn out even more spectacular then you pictured in your head. It's a testament to the awesomeness of nature right there in your very own kitchen. Now... since you don't plan on really cooking in there...can I please come over and I'd be more then delighted to prepare you several feasts in that glorious space. That is... after I recovered from my breathlessness over your flowing stone.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Stunning. Beautiful stone and excellent workmanship. Really breathtaking!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

It is so nice to hear a happy story about installing a large element. Too often it is not as good an outcome.
    I hope your kitchen is done soon and equally well for everything still to come!

• clvransom
    12 years ago

Simply stunning! I have never seen stone like that before!

• dragonfly08
    12 years ago

Gorgeous showstopper granite! I absolutely love it and I'm pretty sure you'll be getting plenty of oohs and ahhs over it! How exciting this must all be! Cannot wait to see everything finished!!

• dominos
    12 years ago

Stunning!! Really beautiful job showcasing that stone.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Remodelfla come on over any time! No tomato based sauces for the cooking though ;)

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

What everyone else said but triple on the wow wow wow beautiful.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Awesome. You go, girl.

• fks3
    12 years ago

Beagles

Stunning - Blue Bahia is one of my favorite granites - always wanted to see a large expanse of it in a kitchen (instead of on a bathroom vanity... simply awesome

You will enjoy it every day

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Somewhere, beyond the sea....

I don't know why--that song just popped into my head when I saw your gorgeous island granite! Stunning!

• coastal_modern_love
    12 years ago

WOW beagles talking about blue!!! It looks amazing-all of it. And I'm loving the blue color on the walls!

• plllog
    12 years ago

Hon, you really must learn how to cook. :) Y'know, if you know how to make five things, you can make just about anything.

Do tomatoes affect your stone? I thought it was one of the true granites?

Oh. Need I say? It's totally gorgeous!!!

• bigdoglover
    12 years ago

I didn't even see the seam in the close-up, had to go back up and read what you were talking about! What a gorgeous color. I want to just dive into that island. LOVE the island and its size, so grand.

• springroz
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness! How beautiful! What are you going to use on the perimeter?

I love the sink, too. Could you please tell me about it?

Thanks, and I cannot wait to see the finale!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Just a beautiful as we all imagined!
    It is fun seeing your kitchen emerge.
    I love your sink with the integrated draining board.
    The stone is stunning. Congrats!

• westsider40
    12 years ago

talk about wow. WOW! It is gorgeeeeoso. And about that sink. What is it? Holy shmoly.

You done good.

• fleur222
    12 years ago

I wanted to jump through the monitor and swim in that sea of blue!!!!!!!!!! What beautiful beautiful blue!!!!!

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

Those are some fantastic slabs of blue bahia that you got, even relative to other slabs that I've seen. What a fantastic installation too. Congratulations!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

plllog tomatoes and acids do affect the bahia. I think it's a serpentine or something like that, so I know they said we need to be careful of etching.

The sink is a custom-made concrete sink that was matched to the tans in the bahia. It was made by Paco Originals in Carlisle PA (http://www.mrconcretecountertops.com/aboutus.html) They did an amazing job, they made it exactly the way that I drew it. It is 36 inches long in total including the drain board. If anyone is interested, I thought we got a great deal on it ($800) and it is really a beautiful sink and you could have it made in any color you want.

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

oh and springroz, the perimeter counters are done, they are marble:

More kitchen pics here

• rikerk
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a stunning slab of granite. Enjoy your new kitchen!

• sayde
    12 years ago

Great job! It is a wonderful thing when you find the perfect material and you get a flawless installation. So glad to see this all coming together. Enjoy!

• sjmitch
    12 years ago

Beautiful granite and amazing install job. You'll love working in that area when it's all done.

• tilenut
    12 years ago

It is a true gift to know how to take something so spectacular from nature, and craft it into something even more spectacular yet functional.

• sixtyohno
    12 years ago

It's perfection, spectacular. What a wonderful island. I love the blue. Well done.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

amazing vision you have to pull this all together! congrats and enjoy!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks on all the positive comments. I really do love how the kitchen is coming out. I know it is not everyone's style, but it is exactly what I planned and envisioned. I also could not have done it w/o the education from GW. Everyone in the real world told me to make my island short enough that I wouldn't need a seam, and that was my original plan until I learned about the idea of butterfly seams on here. I had also planned to maybe try to get the sink painted blue until GW talked me out of it :)

• lexington3716
    12 years ago

Simply gorgeous! And what a great job! How did you find the vendor? Am planning for a similar island, although not quite as large as yours and think there will be a seam too. I was not happy when my contractor told me but am relieved and hopeful that it can be done if you find the person to install it.

• scootermom
    12 years ago

I'm with the others who see your island as a beautiful ocean pool to dive into and leisurely float across. Spectacular!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lexington3716 I googled "invisible granite seams" and went through the Google results until I found a company that was (reasonably) close to us. These people came all the way from Baltimore, which was around 2 1/2 - 3 hrs. from us.

We went to see them before committing and they created a sample seam right in front of us, spending over an hour to seam 2 pieces of granite together just as a sample to show us what they can do.

The key is a multi-stop process including top polishing. Special tools are required both for polishing and to get the granite pulled together tightly enough to create the seamless effect. (Gorilla grips maybe?) We tried at least 5-6 places before a company who was able to achieve what we were looking for.

A good place to start looking might be the Stone Fabricator's Alliance, who have links to members in different areas. You might also want to contact NSI Solutions (http://www.nsisolutions.com/testimonials.asp) as they have special seam phantom technology and might be able to refer you to vendors in your area who have it.

Here's a good article on the Pursuit of the Invisible Seam http://www.stoneworld.com/articles/in-pursuit-of-the-invisible-seam
    which explains how some fabricators are able to do it.