Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stacked 30 inch uppers with a 10 ft. ceiling?

Posted by heidia (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 16:22

So...I will have 10 ft. ceilings and I want uppers to touch ceiling or come really close. So far, the plan is to use custom cabs. So, the basic look is a tall cab with a shorter cab on top, crown molding to finish and touch ceiling. But...the cost is alot. I am considering going with a ready made cab and just stacking them for a similar look. But...I really only have the option of stacking 30 inch long uppers. Or 30 and 36. Anyone do this? if so, can I see pics? I am afraid that it will not look right since the cabs are roughly the same size. All examples I am seeing of stacked cabs involve one long one and a shorter one on top.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stacked 30 inch uppers with a 10 ft. ceiling?

There are plenty of semi custom cabinets available that offer a standard "stacked" wall cabinet- with one long and one short section- typical 45 and 48" total height-top opening of 12"
48 brings you to 9 1/2 ft nominal, leaving 6" for molding which is nice for a stack of molding.
For instance looking at Showplace a stacked 3648 is about $215 more than a simple 3636 wall.

Many brands that don't have a standard stack will "combine" cabinets - you pick the sizes(which will be available from 12-42" high in 3" increments) and they make them as a single cabinet. Costs doing it that way vary from brand to brand--from slightly more to quite a bit.

o

A friend just did this with 36" and 18" stacked on top. It looks very good.

o

Thank you all. :)

o

Oops sorry 48 puts you at 8' 6" not 9'6". That's what iget for posting on my way out the door.

o

Okay, so with 10 feet ceilings, do you think I can stack two 30 inches-so the upper cabs will be 60 inches total-think it would work? With maybe none or a teeny bit of room for molding?

o

What style is your home? Personally, I prefer the look of 2/3 topped with 1/3, which is more typical of the inset panel built-ins and doors in our 1911 Craftsman. The 1/2 and 1/2 is a great look for a more modern design with slab fronts, etc. I don't think 1/2 and 1/2 would fit into a more traditional home. Go to Houzz and search on "stacked cabinets," then filter by "traditional" or "modern" and you'll see examples of both. Good luck!

o

Mizinformation...the house is transitional. Everything is very simple, clean lines, but there are craftsman elements. The cabinet faces will be shaker profile. Counter is luce de luna quartzite. I was going to mix a walnut stain with white for the cabs as well. I have searched houzz and can find very very few examples of what I want to do...which may tell me something. lol :) I can do 36 with 18 on top, but it would not work all the way around the kitchen as the stock cabs do not offer that for the corner or the narrow cabs on either side of sink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here