Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

I want to try something a little different... :)

lavender_lass
13 years ago

Okay, here's my new kitchen design, with dining area on one end and sitting area on the other. There's also a little sunporch off the dining room. (Don't worry about the rest of the plan, but I didn't want to draw it again! LOL)

Anyway, I'm trying to find inspiration pictures for the kitchen, dining area and sitting area...and maybe the sunporch.

I have included a few but if ANYONE has any pics that they think would fit my cottage/french country/farmhouse look (can we say eclectic) I'd love to see them!

Here's the plan. Feel free to comment on anything, but I am mainly looking for pictures. I'd like cream cabinets with the tile backsplash and I like blues, greens, yellow and purple/lavender, but anything that seems to be even close...is more than welcome.

Thank you!

{{gwi:618189}}

{{gwi:1518828}}

{{gwi:617005}}

Comments (14)

• home4all6
    13 years ago

I love following all your variations and ideas--so fun to be a part of the journey that I will be embarking on myself next year. I have no suggestions on your layout, nor do I have pics saved that seem to fit your style. I do, however, love this table from Crate and Barrel that just happens to be called "French Kitchen Table" AND it's available as a table or an island (which I think has been something you've questioned?). Just throwing it out there for you...
    Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: C and B French Kitchen Table

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Home- Beautiful table! Thanks for the link :)

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does anyone else have a picture they think might fit my space? I'm looking for more pictures, to try to get a better idea of cabinet and countertop choices, as well as the overall look of the spaces :)

• judydel
    13 years ago

lavendar_lass I love your ideas. I'm going to be following the evolution of your spaces closely : ) Are you building a new home? Putting on an addition?
    Good luck, I know the process can be daunting. We've done both. We have a farm house style kitchen. You've probably seen pictures already. We have a raised bar on one side. That side also has a dining area with full bay windows. We don't have a sitting area on the other side but we have a space available for a soapstone heater (check THOSE out!) but need to save up the money first.

Here are a couple of photos I found by googling.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I think the room arrangement looks nice, but is this to scale? Do you have the right amount of space around the furniture? As drawn, I don't think it all fits, but that might be an artifact of the sketching rather than the reality of the space.

If you don't want to use a computer program, graph paper works really well! You can get 2'x3' sheets at an art or drafting store. Draw all the permanent walls on the background sheet. Use another sheet to make paper dolls--um--furniture, counters and appliances, plus thick, colored lines for new walls, that you can cut out. Use a repositionable glue stick, or just a tiny dab of regular glue stick, to put them on the background page. That way you can put them at nice angles, and the space you need between the appliances and cabinets, for instance, gives you the wiggle room you need. It also lets you easily see and adjust the amount of space between chairs and tables, etc.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

This is a good book for giving a point of view or frame of mind from which to make choices. You may want to search inside on Amazon. Another idea is to search French chateaux or country rentals online--ones that show the kitchens. What you want is the real French deal, not the American version of the French idea. Another person whose work transports one to France is Michel Biehn, who does fabrics, cookbooks, interior design, etc. Here's a photo:

Search around for his stuff, including a phenomenal restoration of a medieval castle in France featured on the cover of Veranda magazine last,oh, maybe July, or so.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jan de Luz

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

For tiles, try Country Floors.

For limestone hearth surrounds, try François & Co. or Tortuga or Stone Concepts.

For stoves, try Lacanche.

For beams, look to barn salvage, etc.

For floors, think limestone, antique pavers, or herringbone wood (more in the North, than South).

Think about plaster or tile that comes down the face of your cabinets a bit.

Hang some lavender to dry, of course.

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Floors

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Judy- Thanks for the photos, but I'd love to see your kitchen, too. I don't know if I've seen pictures, but it sounds very nice!

Plllog- I always draw my furniture too small! LOL It should all fit, because I plan to use a settee and a smaller chair in the fireplace area, with an ottoman or small table and the sun porch will have chairs that are not too big, so I can use them for extra dining chairs. I know my table/island will be pretty narrow, but it's mostly to roll out cookie dough! Thanks for the tips on the furniture, I'm going to have to try that :)

KD- Thanks for the links and the info. Exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for...now I have some things to look up tomorrow!

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

One other thing:
    While it's not French, Dunis Tiles will glaze their animal tiles to look like your animals for an upcharge, if you want to incorporate any likenesses of your ponies into your tile work, for instance, or special roosters, or the like. If you send them a photo, they'll copy markings and coloration. Unfortunately, their "Animals" concept boards aren't updated, but I was there a couple of weeks ago, discussing the elephants and zebras (unbelievably cool, to my eye), of all things. Some people around here have exotics preserves and incorporate tiles of their animals into their decor. I think I want the proverbial "elephant in the room," LOL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dunis

• judydel
    13 years ago

lavender there are photos of my kitchen in this thread
    http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg111409411142.html

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Think about some Souleiado fabrics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Provençal colorways

• lyvia
    13 years ago

I don't have pictures, but I just wanted to say I am with you on comfortable seating in the kitchen. I plan to reach the age of 70 in this house, and that is much too old for these short legs to be climbing tippy barstools. (Although I will ride horses forever because the risk is worth it). Meals will be in the dining room, but an upholstered coffee lounging nook will squeeze into the kitchen!

• txpepper
    13 years ago

L-Lass.....

This is not really responding to this particular post, but I came across a site that had a couple of 'french country' kitchens and thought I would share with you.

Go forward to see to kitchens. Go backward to see some Tuscany-themed kitchens which for some reason made me think of french-country...which makes me think I don't know what french-country looks like. lol

Pepper

Here is a link that might be useful: Wm Ohs Kitchens

• info_euroantiquemarket_com
    13 years ago

You might want to search my blog. I have lots of photos of Country French homes that might inspire you with some ideas.
    Good Luck...I love your floor plan!

Here is a link that might be useful: Country French Antiques