Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salmon_slayer

99.5% Complete - Wife says we are done!

salmon_slayer
15 years ago

Just a few things left but it was time for pictures ï Need to seal the tile/grout and change a few light switches but IT IS DONE! We started in November and took about two weeks off to get it done) We were installing the handles Christmas eve.

Details:

Cabinets: Natural Cherry with burnt umber highlights www.customcraftcabinets.com

Counter: White & Gold Quartzite

Cabinet Glass: New German

Oven: Meile

Mural: Sarah McAnerny from Tre Sorelle: http://www.tresorellehomedesigns.com/index.html

Rangetop: Wolf

Warming Drawer: Wolf

Hood Liner: Abbaka

Hood: www. Metastone.com

Refrigerator: Thermador

Sink Faucet: Grohe

Potfiller: Grohe

Dishwasher: Bosch

Under counter Lights: Xenon Counterattack (Expo)

In cabinet Lights: Halogen pucks (Expo)

Over Cabinet Lights: still deciding

Pendants: Expo

O/H Lights: Juno cans w/ bronze trim; Ushio CFL lamps

Sink: Rohl Allia (EBAY- "Plumbing Deals" - very good seller! Supplied the faucet, sink, sink support, stainless grate and airswitch)

Paint: Sherwin Williams August Moon & Crabby Apple

Bar Stools: www.Overstock.com

Floors: Br111 Amendium (sp?)

Was Picture:

{{!gwi}}From 14 Dec

Today:

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

{{!gwi}}From Drop Box

Comments (50)

• plllog
    15 years ago

Lovely! Very classic. Very well proportioned. And VERY pretty!

• nutbunch
    15 years ago

Wow. What a transformation!

The only trouble I see is that it is far to beautiful to eat in. Wow.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Great job! Your counters are beautiful. Your kitchen is so very warm and inviting.

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love the mural over the range, the hood and the quarzite. What a difference it made opening it up and adding island!

Sue

• tsherman
    15 years ago

Wow! You have pulled of what we are only thinking about! I love to see the cherry cabs with the amendium floor and a lighter countertop. It looks wonderful! It is hard to believe your kitchen magically transformed from your "before" to such a breathtaking "after". Enjoy, and thank for sharing!

• suzatwork
    15 years ago

I LOVE it! I'm a sucker for red, so the red knobs, backsplash and red highlights in the granite caught my eye. Love it all! Oh, and I recognized that floor right away. I'm an Amendoim owner myself, and get so many compliments on it. All together, wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Lovely. Ya done good.

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

Beautiful. I love how the colors of your counters tie in perfectly with your mural. Both are showstoppers. I love your pendants too. Enjoy.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Salmon_Slayer, what width are your BR-111 Amendoim floors? Are they solid or engineered? They are beautiful. Are you happy with the floors? Have they darkened much since you installed them? It took so many months for someone to finally install the porcelain tiles I chose for my two foyer areas, that now I have to wait to do the rest of my home after my busy season ends.

I am down to three hardwood floor choices: BR-111 Triangulo Brazilian Cherry, BR-111 Triangulo Amendoim and Mirage Lock Maple Auburn. Hence, I am curious about your floors since I love them!

I love your red knobs also and the red highlights in the granite! I also love your backsplash.

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn2006
    the floor is approx 3" wide and they are solid. We have had the floors in the house approx 4 years and ought a few extra boxes knowing we would be doing the kitchen. It just took us a year or two longer to get started than planned. The floors do darken but when we put the "new" flooring in, it was not to far off. In a few months, I expect it to be the same. I have installed the BR-111 solid Brazilian Cherry in my inlaws house 2 years ago and it was beautiful to install. It really darkened by the way. My experience with BR-111 products was exceptional. All good straight wood and beautifully finished.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

You must be thrilled with this beautiful kitchen!
    It looks like a different house! Your choices are great
    and it all works so nicely! Congrats!
    vic

• User
    15 years ago

WOW ! I love the warm tones and the beautiful tiles and I agree so pretty I would be hard pressed to concentrate on the gorgeous food that you are sure to be making. Please post food pics too ! And love to see the outside...really wonderful transformation. c

• neesie
    15 years ago

Oh, that is such a pretty kitchen! You have so many beautiful features like your granite and mural backsplash, but I must say that I have never seen pendant lights that I like more. Enjoy!

• november
    15 years ago

Beautiful job! I LOVE the pendant lights - they're gorgeous. Enjoy!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Salmon_Slayer, Thanks for letting me know that both BR-111 products were exceptional just like my samples from them are the nicest quality. Thanks for letting me know that you have installed both floors and both are beautiful but the Brazilian Cherry changes color much more so. The grain on both from pictures look so nice and exotic.

Does your floor have many knots since in the pictures I can barely see any? If it has a lot of knots, are they small? I love the color variation and the fact it is a harder wood than Oak.

That floor looks wonderful in your very pretty kitchen. you did a beautiful job in the renovation.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Lovely, bright and beautiful! Congratulations and enjoy your gorgeous new space!

E

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Add another "WOW!" from me. I'm so happy to finally see the whole room after getting little teasing glimpses of it for the last little while. It's even more amazing after seeing the 'before.' You must feel you're in a whole new house. So elegant, luxurious, and spacious!

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn,

there are a few but they are very small, tight and infrequent knot. I can take a picture and email it to you if you want. we installed almost 1,000 sq ft. email direct if you want or if your in the Monterey Bay area of Ca, your welcome to see it yourself.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

salmon_slayer, thank you so much for letting me know since very small, tight and infrequent knots would not bother me. I wish I lived near you since I would love to see this floor in person. I live in NJ so that is not possible at my busy time during the year. Please if you have time, I would love some pictures mailed to me so I can make my final decision.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Wow! What a stunning kitchen. I really, really, like your pendant lights! I think it's just too nice to cook in. You must be thrilled with the results.

Barb

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

What an amazing transformation!!! I love your choices, especially the countertops. You have created a warm, inviting kitchen. Congratulations!

• janran
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! It's warm, bright and functional. I love everything - especially the island and backsplash.

• malhgold
    15 years ago

What an unbelievable change. You must be so happy every time you walk in there. Could you tell me the dimensions of your island and also how far your frig is from the island? Thanks so much. Enjoy!!!

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Wow ,that kitchen is elegant yet warm and inviting .You did a great job its truly a stunning make over I love the whole thing.

• gglks
    15 years ago

looks great!!!!!!!!! nice pick of backsplash too. it goes perfectly with your mural.....much more fitting than the original you had posted! enjoy your "old world" kitchen! i'm envisioning a nice glass of red wine at your island!

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

MAHLGOLD:

Island dimensions are 55" x 105" (LOL my wife panicked when I started measuring it)

Dimension to fridge:44" to bumped out rangetop: 40", otherwise 44" to the counters

Lynn2006: I took pics and will email to you as soon as we find the cable to download them. We found the good camera so they will look better

• charlikin
    15 years ago

*That* is a kitchen out of a magazine! I can't believe it's the same room!! It's just so elegant and yet still homey. I love the red touches, the backsplash, and those pendants!!!

Wow.

• budgeteer_s
    15 years ago

Congrats!!! Such an airy kitchen that you and your DW have. You must be totally absorbing and enjoying the ambiance that you created! Can you tell me where you purchase the amber pendant lights?

• pharaoh
    15 years ago

wow! that stone is stunning!!

beautiful kitchen...

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Salmon_Slayer, Thank you! I will be looking for the pictures since I am home setting up my business files for 2008. I had planned to go to a party but the beautiful home is off of a long winding road that I am sure will be so slippery with the snow we had all day and now the ice everywhere since it is freezing tonight. I can't afford to have another car accident since I am still not recovered from the former accident last year.

I can't wait to get rid of the Linoleum that is ripped in my kitchen and my 18 year old light beige always dirty carpet that is everywhere. So far I love the Porcelain ceramic tiles had installed in my two foyer areas and I know I will love the other changes I plan to make.

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Budgeteer_s

we bought the pendants at expo. regular line voltage

Steve

It was between those and some from Pottery Barn. Pottery Barn ones were clear and a bit wider. We're pleased with the amber ones and they do not show the dust the clear ones can do (at least in our house of constant de/con struction)

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Salmon_Slayer, Thanks for th pictures you sent. You have a beautiful home and the Amendoim Floors are very pretty and look great in all the rooms you showed me.

• chinchette
    15 years ago

I'm late to the party. That is seriously good looking stone. What is the diff between "granite" and "quartzite"?

Great combination of materials and mural.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

hmmm, can't see the pictures?? will try again later. Was the link lost or is it just me?

• 3bebe
    15 years ago

I can't see them either.

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure what happened but here is a link and a few of the pics:

From finished kitchen

From finished kitchen

From finished kitchen

From finished kitchen

Here is a link that might be useful: finished kiched pictures

• maydl
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! That island is a knockout--real eye candy!

• chefkev
    15 years ago

Wow! Elegant, warm and inviting all at the same time.

• busybme
    15 years ago

I have really enjoyed seeing the pictures of your wonderful transformation! You guys did a fantastic job...beautiful!

Sandy

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you, we really like it. It didn't look like the pictures very long. This website was great, we learned or saw many features from others that we love. We had never heard of an airswitch, we like the large fireclay sink vs the double stainless we had (its quieter and doesn't show water marks compared to what we had) and the the lid holders in the drawers. We had great advise from many of you along the way on the layout, back splash selection and most of all - appliances/ventilation. We are very happy and it worked perfect for when our family arrived in mass.

One potential regret: We went back and forth on plugmolds and am not sure we went the right way (did not use them)

• mpwdmom
    15 years ago

Looks absolutely fantastic, congrats on a gorgeous kitchen! :)

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

I think your kitchen is one big WOW!!! I love all your choices and the tile behind the range really brought a nice pop of color into the kitchen. I have enjoyed seeing your photos earlier on and I'm glad to see the finished kitchen.

Congratutions!

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The mural is the reason its 99.5% done. It certainly "pops" which is what DW wanted and brings color into the kitchen. I confess to making a mistake installing the tile. One is installed incorrectly. I never noticed it until my daughter said, is this suppose to be like......? $%^&*
    {{!gwi}}From 31 Dec Mural

Fortunately, the artist that provided the mural is painting another tile for us. She has been fantastic. We found her on the internet and has come though with every request we had - I would highly recommend her. Sarah McAnerny: s.mcanerny@yahoo.com www.tresorellehomedesigns.com

Steve

• PRO
    15 years ago

ok - now you are going to have to share which tile is wrong!!!! I keep looking at the photo and am not sure I see anything out of place. So I am guessing here - is it the top right corner?

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't feel so bad - its less than obvious until its been pointed out. Here's a close up of my trajedy. Look at the handle on the jug.

• PRO
    15 years ago

Now I see it! Isn't it amazing that you never noticed it until your daughter pointed it out??? Thankfully you can repair it!

Its good to see a close up of the tiles - They are nicely done!

• marthavila
    15 years ago

This is one really beautiful kitchen. Every bit of congratulations you are receiving is seriously deserved!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

You have one of the quartzites I almost chose for my kitchen. It is stunning! What a beautiful kitchen. Great transformation. Congrats on a gorgeous kitchen. Really, really pretty!

• Circus Peanut
    15 years ago

hey there,

Just saw this thread - wow!

LOL -- I love the tile out of place. It's like those incredibly complex Japanese paintings where they deliberately make one "smear" in the paint, just to demonstrate the humility of all human pursuit.

If you really wanted to, could you use the tile bit on the Dremel (or xbit on the rotozip) to cut the grout around and remove just that one tile? Probably not doable without causing damage to it or other tiles?

I had the same plugmold dilemma and am ultimately glad I didn't use them either -- it would be something of an eyesore to have all those black appliance cords going UP across the backsplash, no?

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

circuspeanut

i'm not sure whether or not I would like the plugmolds. I do know I do not like the existing plus and plates and plan on replacing them. Lutron makes a "stone" finish that blends better so I might go that way. I also want to experiment machining the marble (its fairly soft) and making plug covers. Probably too much time on my hands.... and avoiding the next project(s) windows, deck, siding, master bathroom. The order may be different if you ask my wife.

"We" caught the mistake before grouting. The company that supplied the mural has been fantastic and is going to make another one. I sent a hi res photo she will use to lay out out and paint another tile. She really has been great to work with.

No problem removing the one tile using a punch and chisel but that will destroy it. I want to be sure I have a replacement before doing that. Unless Bill or someone has some secret they can share, that's the way it will come out