Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

I also need the stainless steel sink cleaning trick

TxMarti
11 years ago

I can't remember who posted it. I've searched here and on google and can't find it. Someone told what they do to keep their SS sinks looking great and on an old SS sink that made it look like new.

Mine has a rust spot from something sitting in it. I usually use Zud on rust spots but thought I'd check that advice first, and now I can't find it.

Edited to add: I just checked my Clippings and someone recommended Bayes, but I don't think that's the post I remember.

This post was edited by marti8a on Sat, Dec 22, 12 at 16:21

Comments (20)

• Bunny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Ajax. It isn't sexy, but it makes the sink (and grid) sparkle. I'm also unconcerned if it scratches, which hasn't really happened in the year I've had it.

• Fori
    11 years ago

I always used Comet, which I'm pretty sure is the same as Ajax or I use Ajax, which is awfully similar to Comet.

Once I cleaned a SS fridge door with Ajax. Hard to rinse bu it sure looked good.

For stubborn rust spots, try Bar Keeper's Friend maybe.

• Honu3421
    11 years ago

I'm not sure if this is the answer you are looking for because I never posted on this topic, but DH and I cleaned up my 25-year old stainless (Elkay Lustertone) sink which suffered from neglect during the years I worked full time. We used 0000steel wool and water. We may have used barkeepers friend with it, can't remember. But you must use water with the steel wool. We did a section at a time and it really came back to life.

I now keep it up with barkeepers friend several times per week and it really does look like almost-new. When I get really KSO (kitchen sink obessed) I finish it off by wiping with a paper towel. Sparkle.Sparkle.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing as we are always looking for new and better products.

Honu

• joshuasamah
    11 years ago

Try glass cook top cleaner. A house I bought a long time ago had a stainless sink with rust in it. We were going to replace the sink eventually and one day when I was cleaning the stove top I decided to try cleaning the rust with the same cleaner. Looked as good as new and never replaced it. I still use cook top cleaner on my stainless sink. After scrubbing with a paper towel I just rinse and dry.

• jejvtr
    11 years ago

Magic eraser & bar Keepers friend or Softscrub

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

Fine wet/dry sand paper used for final layer of auto paint. I use it to remove scratches and is far kinder to the metal than steel wool. Although I have used it too. Get the finest wet/dry sand paper at a HW store. Wet it and the sink, move in direction of metal. Very easy to use.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I tried the Pledge method and have never had a shinier sink in my life.
    Once you get the rust out try it.

• Fori
    11 years ago

Yeah the fridge turned out not to be a great thing to tackle with scouring powder . :) Clean? yes, rinse? not so easy.

It's hard to hurt stainless steel unless you have a mirror finish in which case I suggest making it a brushed finish as part of the cleaning effort.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Comet works for me.

Also, I have soaked dishes in clorox in the past and the clorox water cleans the stainless sink beautifully.

• dretutz
    11 years ago

I use barkeepers friend. For extra sparkle (when company is coming), I finish it with a spritz of alcohol, water and lavender oil. Zing.

The grid is a different story. Occasionally I plug the sink, run hot water, add a couple scoops of oxiclean and let soak. Rinse and sparkle.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

dretutz, great idea for cleaning the grid. It's all those little crossings that can be difficult.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

I have an old builder grade SS sink and BKF takes the rust right off.

• kaijutokusatsu
    11 years ago

This is my clipping from sherrilynn:
    about any stainless steel sink. I recently had a huge compliment from my brother, a builder of high end homes. He was very impressed at how good my sink always looks. He is not a fan at ALL with SS. He prefers porcelain, which chips.

I asked him why he was so impressed with my sink and hates SS? It was because he has had to replace multiple high end sinks before closing because a workman or someone would have used a new homeowners SS sink and caused a 'scratch' in the bottom of the sink. The new homeowners would insist on a brand new sink before they would close.We all know that we can tolerate the damage that we do to our stuff, but not anyone else! When you spend well over a $1,000 to $1,800 for a sink, of COURSE you want it to be unblemished!

Well, I told him my 'secret' to keeping my 12" deep single basin Franke sink looking good. I've used this 'method' on ALL of my sinks and I just love it! My sink glows because of the 'patina' that it now has...and yours can, too. The finish looks better each time you use my method, too.

I use my sink! I also have a large family that I cook for and use some commercial size, heavy pans. Guests sometimes want to help in the kitchen, or teens, and they bang up the bottom, scratching the sink, and it will look just awful when they're done. They always apologize because they think they've ruined my sink. Never fear. I can 'fix' it in as little as 3 minutes from start to finish.

I've now trained my teens on how to help me maintain a good looking sink. AND if they scratch it, they restore it! It's that simple.

Here's what I do. About every other day, I use Bar Keepers Friend and one of the green scrubby pads that you can buy just about anywhere. It will keep average use to your sink 'maintained' between 'restoration' cleanings.

When there are scuffs and deeper scratches in the sink, I use sandpaper to wet-sand the metal in different grades of paper to restore the sinks. I prefer the black 'wet or dry' sandpaper by Norton that you buy at HD. I already have about 3" squares in multiple grades already cut out and in a baggy under my sink, so I'm ready when I need to 'do this'.

I start with about 150 grit working on the problem areas when I get to them, then work up to at least a 400 grit. I use small circular pattern and overlap all of my work. I never just 'rub' a scuff or scratch in a straight pattern; I always blend my work.

I start in the furthest back left corner and work across the back of the sink moving left to right, just as you would work if you were writing on lined paper. I do the entire sink bottom, then move to the sides. I start with 150 grit paper, then change to 220, then 320, then 400. I rinse the sink after each grit paper is used. Sometimes I use a little soap or BKF depending on my needs so I can move faster with the paper. Once you try it, you will understand what I mean.

I finish off with a good soapy rinse with a rag, then apply a 'finish' of Franke Inox cleaner or a wiping coat of vegetable oil. I have even used Rain-X to help repel spots. I'm just out of it right now and have been using up products I have under the sink. I use 'whatever' to just help the sink repel water right down the drain a.s.a.p..

My brother now had one of his guys using my method on their Franke sinks before final walk thru before closing on a new home. Guess what? They're not having to replace sinks anymore.

After you clean your sink a few times, your sink will start to gain a beautiful patina and smoothness to the finish and you will start to love stainless steel. I also use this method on my $10,000 Thermador Range top. It glows. I just love it.

• LMM170
    11 years ago

I have found Bayes stainless steel cleaner to be nothing short of miraculous. It will not take scratches out however it will make your stainless appliances and sinks look like new.

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

I had been searching my local stores for Bar keepers friend for my stainless cookware and sink but couldn't find it. I found "Cameo" a aluminum and stainless steel cleaner from wal-mart works great and only $1.38 it is a fine powder and worked fantastic!

• crampon
    11 years ago

A few months ago, we had a rust ring on our stainless countertop from an empty can (that should not have been left there!). It came out with some scrubbing with vinegar and baking powder -- this combination will not scratch your sink (unlike Magic Eraser and Comet) and you probably have both in the kitchen already.

• crampon
    11 years ago

Sorry, that should be "baking SODA and vinegar", not "baking powder and vinegar". What can I say, I'm not much of a baker.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

�Posted by kaijutokusatsu
    "This is my clipping from sherrilynn:"

That's the one! Thank you, and everyone for your advice. My sink isn't bad yet, at least not enough to use sandpaper on it. I'll start with Ajax or Comet and go from there.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. My computer crashed and it has taken me awhile to get a new one and learn how to use it.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Stay away from SOS pads and regular steel wool.

It will smear enough carbon steel on the stainless surface to then cause surface rust.

Use a stainless steel scouring pad or abrasives (Ajax, etc) or non-woven abrasives (as on one side of some sponges).

A polished stainless sink is GOING to start looking 'brushed' after a time.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company