Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparing Cost of Quartz Countertop Companies

Posted by midnightingale (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 16, 11 at 16:15

Hello,
I'm in the heavy researching phase of my kitchen remodel, having bought the appliances on Black Friday and gone to a dizzying array of kitchen stores. I heard one of the employees mention that Cambria is the most expensive type of quartz countertop... but I can't find any pricing comparisons online. In fact, I can't see anything at all related to cost for one company or another, or between colors. I like Cambria, but at $4000 quoted for one of my small kitchen designs, it seems very pricy. Would it be cheaper to use a different quartz company?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comparing Cost of Quartz Countertop Companies

Quartz is pricy no matter what the brand. You can figure on $80-$100 a square foot as a middle of the road "average".

o

In my experience, Cambria was the least expensive of the Quartz counter makers. It's more expensive than many granites, but if you're only comparing quartz with quartz, Cambria was much lower than the others when I was shopping.

Love my Cambria.

o

Yes, I am trying to compare quartz to quartz. One of my KD helpers did quote granite at about $1500 cheaper, but I'm not sure that I want to give up on Quartz even though it's more expensive. I was told that they are all made with about the same process, however, so I don't want to pay more for one than another when they're essentially the same thing. Although Cambria is made in the USA, I think, which I will take into consideration.

o

We're putting in Hanstone Quartz. We spoke to maybe 7 different places and we were told that all quartz is essentially the same. The main considerations is that Cambria spends the most on advertising (trying to be the "Kleenix" of quartz), so they have to charge more to make up their expenses. Cambria is the only US-based quartz company, but other quartz companies do have plants in the US. Cambria is based in Minnesota, but for us, Ohio, Hanstone was greener because it's made in Ontario. Another consideration with brands is that different stone companies have trade agreements with specific quartz brands. One place we went to said they only worked with Silestone, for example, because they would have to pay a penalty for breaking their agreement if they sold us anything else (which is why other brands were most expensive).

I wouldn't say that all brands are exactly the same, however, because when we were down to Silestone (Stellar Snow) and Hanstone (Specchio White), I brought home samples of each, and while both were stain resistant (I used red white, turmeric, lemon and sharpie), the Hanstone came clean much better.

If you're looking for the best deal on quartz, shop around to find out what brand is the best deal where you live.

If you find a few brands that you like, pick the style you like the best. Between the Silestone and Hanstone, the Silestone looks a little more cementy-white, while the Hanstone looked more pure white (both with recycled glass). Another reason we chose the Hanstone.

o

Has anyone seen a new quartz material called carerra- that looks like carrera?

o

I worked at a local kitchen / bath store. We sold Cambria, Silestone, Caesarstone and Zodiaq.
Here was my explanation:
- all quartz manufacturers use the 93/7 formula (93% quartz chips / 7% resin) - they each have their own method of creating colors / patterns
- they all have sealer IN them
- Cambria's selling points = made in USA, all colors the same price (we sold 2 cm for $66 sf and 3 cm $72 sf)
- Silestone's selling point = in addition to sealer, they put Microban in their product
- Caesarstone = they consider themselves "the original quartz countertop manufacturer" and they advertise that their product is kosher
- Zodiaq = well, not sure that they have a particular unique selling point

Caesarstone, Silestone and Zodiaq ranged from $50-85 sf depending on color price group and thickness

o

I don't think Cambria spends the most on advertising.

I have not seen tv commercials from Cambria but I have from Silestone. I have seen Cambria advertised in magazines and billboards at Dodger stadium,my guess is they advertise at several sporting venues?

In my experience Cambria cost the same as Caesarstone and Silestone "C" colors but Cambria offers far richer and more complex colors. Especially when compared with "C" colors. The only better colors IMO are the ultra premium Caesarstone colors. And those are really really big $$$.

Lowes sells Zodiac. Made by DuPont in Candada.

Home Depot sells Silestone.

If anyone is "Kleenex" it is Silestone as they have the biggest market share in the USA and worldwide.

I think Cambria is positioning itself as the upper middle class or not quite 1%er rich countertop.

If they wanted to be the ultra premium company they would make some of those quartz that cost $200+ per sq ft like Ceasarstone.

And unlike Silestone,Hanstone,LG Hausys,Zodiac et all Cambria is a mid-size company not a huge corporate conglomerate.

It is a family owned American company that makes its quartz right here in the USA. It is the only quartz company that can claim that.

o

Um, does the above price quote include fab ans install? I was told just yesterday that Cambria Praa Sand would be $25/sqft for the slab material. I'm in SF Bar Area. Not sure if I missed anything.

o

In Los Angeles I was told $18/sqft for 2cm and $22/sqft for 3cm Cambria slab material,all colors being the same. Most don't need 3cm.You only need it for certain very thick edges. I have been told you are better off using more plywood underneath. More give to plywood than quartz when house shifts/earthquakes and such.

Bottom line for several quotes I got was $45/sqft including fab,sink/faucet cut outs,2.5" waterfall edge,measuring and prep.

I got even cheaper because I got my cabinets,floor install,and appliance install from the same kitchen reno place.

In my experience Frisco :) is more expensive than Los Angeles.

o

I am a fabricator and buy direct from the suppliers.

1st thing to know is that quartz countertop slabs are all made on the same machines using the same resins so from brand to brand the material is virtually the same. Suppliers try to eke out some differientation (like Silestone with their microban) but for 99% of all the end users a quartz top is a quartz top.

differences arise in the cost of the coloring agents and inclusions and the marketing. Every supplier except Cambria has a tiered pricing structure. Cambria prices every color the same but at a price equivalent to the premium colors from the other brands.

Cambria does have some new colors that are the most "granite like" colors with minor movement that comes closest of any of the quartz colors to real stone. If you want movement your pretty much limited to a few Cambria colors or several hundred natural stone colors.

As pricing goes HanStone is the least expensive, Samsung Radiance, Caesartone and Dupont Zodiac are in the middle, and SileStone is relatively high priced.

Since the slabs are typically only 35% or so of the job cost the charge from the fabricator for measure, fabrication, and installation can easily be a bigger variable than the brand of quartz.

The quality of the work by the fabricator is a more important determinant of the overall quality and success of the project than the brand of material.

my 2 cents

o

We really preferred Cambria because there was a wide variety of choices and they were all the same price. Actually, we were surprised that it was more reasonable then the other brands of quartz. Since quartz is so pricey you just want to make sure you are getting what you love, especially when you are laying out that amount of cash. We purchased ours through a wholesale our contractor does business with. He was kind enough to give us his discount, which saved us some money.

o
About Cambria...

I have grown to like some colors that Cambria offers. It seems that I can get the product for ~$1K/slab (54"x119"), which is comparable to a lot of granite. However, according to their warranty clause, the warranty only applies if you use one of their certified installers. A search with their locator shows very limited few in my area. And I want to choose my own fabricator! So, I guess it means I'll have to forget about Cambria. I'm surprised that they operate in this model that apparently will cause them to lose sale. Is this normal across Quartz manufactures?

Oh, BTW, the one certified installer I did check with quoted me $90/sqft including material and labor plus cut out and seam upcharges. Ugh!

o
Has anyone heard of Quartz manufacturer Belenco?

Today at one stone shop (also a fabricator I like), I saw they carry Quartz slabs under the brand name Belenco. It's a Turkish brand and apparently a young company -- started last year. You need to click on USA flag to see English and some pages are still under contruction. But I was told that their quartz is the 3rd generation (latest technology). For example, they offer honed quartz slabs that do not require sealing and are still stain proof. Apparently, most other quartz cannot claim that. The price is comparable to Cambria and I think one color could work for me.

But... would you feel comfortable with going with such a young company for your countertop material?

o

So the Turks say they have a better product than Americans,Spanish,Koreans and Isrealis?

A warranty is only as good as the company that gives it.

I would stay far away.

As far as certified fabricators goes Yes Silestone and Ceasarstone are the same. You need certified installers to get warranty. How else can a Manufacture be assured it is a material issue and not an installation issue if customer has a problem?

I would call Cambria and ask for an email of all certified installers. On their website they list "preferred" installers I think not all certified installers.

If you go with a non-branded natural stone who will guarantee that? Are you better of warrany wise buying granite vs Cambria and having it installed by non-certified fabricator?

o

I would be careful of any "honed" quartz. The honed finish holds fingerprints negating one of quartz's main advantages which is easiness to clean. Cambria had a honed finish for only a few months before they discontinued it due to customer complaints. We make a customer sign off on fingerprints and ease of cleaning if they order a honed finish quartz.

o

deeageaux, you have a good point, if I understood you correctly. We never ask about brand name of natural stone at the stone yard and do not care about warranty on the stone itself, why should I care so much about having the warranty on Cambria? I have never heard of such thing as granite or quartz falls apart on its own. That brings Cambria back into the picture. Thank you!

As for Belenco... I like to be brave enough to give them the benefit of the doubt. All great companies and products have to have early adopters. Thankfully, I don't think I'll need deal with the dilemma now simply because I still like some Cambria colors better.

o

Local chinese kitchen store sells 8'x2' quartz for about $250. Does anyone have experience with that? I'm in SF bay area.

o

We bought Chroma quartz by Pental.

o

UGH. I just met with my contractor last night about my kitchen renovation/bump out, already we're exceeding budget and haven't broken ground.

I want to do Cambria Praa Sands countertops, will be about 53 square feet needed. My contractor was quoted $160/s.f. for a total of $8,500??!! I just don't see how that can be. He's going to price around some more, but that seems ridiculously high. I live in the Chicago suburbs. I've been reading that quartz is about same price as granite, I know Cambria is considered pricier than others, but they have better color choices.

I'm so depressed now! :-(

o

As a fabricator of natural stone and quartz surfaces, please allow me to put my two cents in.
What I have learned through the years of fabrication of Quartz countertops is that, there is only one major difference between the quartz brands.

The well known companies such as Caesarstone, Silestone and Cambria manufacture their quartz slabs in plants built by an Italian Breton company. Breton is so far the best brand in the world for manufacturing machinery that are used to make quartz slabs. Only the machinery would cost around 60 million dollars from Breton. And as far as I know, there is only one or two quartz companies in each continent with Breton Equipment.

There is also other Quartz companies who uses Chinese machinery to manufacture their quartz slabs. I think, there are many disadvantages of using Quartz coming from Chinese plants. The most important one to me is that they use a lot more chemicals to manufacture their slabs. Their colors fade so easy and if you want to use two or three slabs in the same project, it is very difficult to match the slabs.

Although, the three brands I mentioned above enjoy about 80% of the quartz slab market in the US, they are not the only ones with Breton Equipment. I think, the newest brand in the market with Breton plant is Belenco which means, they have the latest Breton technology. I have been seeing them in the US trade shows lately and their product line is very similar to well known brands in the US. And their prices are very reasonable. So, the market is getting really competitive. This competition of course helps the end users save money on their quartz purchases and have all the brands in the market work harder to keep their market share.

What I have also seen after Belenco started promoting themselves in the US trade shows and do business with some US fabricators is that the major players of Quartz surfaces started offering huge discounts to fabricators like us. So far, Silestone is offering 46% discount and Caesarstone is offering 35%. These are huge discounts. Each quartz slab used to cost us $1200 to $1800. Now, with the discounts they are offering us, our material costs would be almost the half of that. it is great. But my question is why now??? Why have you been charging me $1800 for a slab for years while you can charge me a lot less for it? Let me answer that question; "Because the market is becoming more and more competitive" So, honestly I have no interest in using those brands even though they offer me great discounts. I feel like I have been scammed and have scammed my customers through out all these years by buying and selling the quartz countertops for a lot more.
So, as long as the brand I work with is using a Breton plant, it doesn't matter whether the company is new or not. For the warranty concerns, I think Belenco offers 15 years warranty in their home country and they will most likely start doing the same in the US market soon.
I hope I could be a help for all who is in market for Quartz countertops. Please do not hesitate to contact me via this forum with any questions you may have.

o

I apologize for including this on the thread, but it is relevant to me as I am researching quartzite countertops now too. I am interested in the Caesarstone mocha.

deeageaux, you mentioned that you are in so. Cal. I looked at your page to try & email you, but you do not have email set-up. Would you mind sharing the name of the kitchen reno place you used in Los Angeles?

Much appreciation in advance.

o

I'm in Central Florida and paid $63 a square foot for Cambria. Included fabrication. It is Praa Sands and absolutely beautiful!!! Love it.

This post was edited by beachlily on Sun, Apr 7, 13 at 16:17

o

Hi I just got 2 cambria bids from 2 different vendors and they are literally $1000 apart for a fairly small kitchen. One bid was $5400 and one was $4300 for the same space. One said Cambria won't do 2cm, the other quoted me both 2cm and 3cm.

I'm confused!! I obviously want the lower price, but I don't think they could be THAT different?

o

I am a fabricator.

Lots of good info in the preceding. Pick a color you like and spend your time making sure you get a quality fabricator.

Competitive bids should be within 10-15% if they are truly apples to apples comparisons. (you'll need to read your bids in detail. You'd be surprised how many people never read the entire bid!)

In my area Cambria is consistently the most expensive so there is definite regional variation in pricing.

o

We just put in quartz counter tops. We got several bids. Some charged extra for the sink and cooktop cut outs other places did not. Where I saw the biggest difference in price was if I was paying by the foot such as from Ikea, or HD was less when compared to the fabricator that said we needed two slabs but would not use all of both slabs to do the kitchen. We did not go with the big box store because from the fabricator he also did a lot of extra things that the big stores would have charged for such as window sills, large curves on the island, shower curb, etc.

o

I'm in Florida and a Quartz brand which is very popular here is Compac. I read all the comments and have not heard it mentioned. Is anyone familiar with their product? Down here, the only other big name is Silestone which I'm leaning towards because they have the Jumbo size 128 x 63". That would give us the least and most ideal seam areas. Does anyone know if any of the other mfg. have the jumbo size slab? Also who has the purest / whitest white?

o

Remod12:

The quartz companies don't want you to know this, but they're all the same; Breton machines and process. I don't know of any other manufacturers that make jumbos, but I suppose it's possible. Well made estone seams can be very inconspicuous.

If you want the purest white, go to solid surface. I'd get an acrylic, Corian or Livingstone.

o

Naturalstonefab: How do I find out if Zodiaq quartz is made with Breton equipment? I found information that says it's manufactured in Canada but I haven't found more detail than that. Thanks.

o

gotospaces:

Zodiaq was virtually the first quartz countertop. It has to be Breton.

o

I found Cambria to be more expensive out here in California...not by much though. Unfortunately the Cambria Torquay cracked after 2 weeks after installing and the installers and manufactures are not willing to fix it!! Geeeeerrrrrr...I'm POed to say the least.

Anywho, my parents went the LG (it looks really really good) and my in-laws went with Ceaserstone (they LOVE it), both are happy with the product and both cost less then my Cambria Torquay.

My advice, quartz is quartz and paying more doesn't get a better product. Your paying for customer service, but the more expensive, made in the USA Cambria doesn't have. Stick with Ceaserstone or LG.

o

WHY aren't they willing to fix it if it cracked within two weeks following installation?

o

The raduis on that corner is out of manufacturer specification; there is probably a 3/8" minimum requirement. That's why it failed. Get a copy of their specs and call them back. They can't argue with their own writing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here