Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toddimt

Show me your Blum Spacecorner Drawers

toddimt
13 years ago

Looking to see pics of the drawers closed and opened as well as some dimension info for the drawers. Also, curious if you use the syncromotion feature for tight reveals. Not to mention feedback.

I am planning to incorporate these into my project and want to know how you like them.

Comments (8)

• chrisa62401
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We have a kornerking, I didn't even see the blum version.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I've seen them in operation. They are way more useful than I thought. They are sturdier than I thought they could be, too. I have other Blum products, from Blum and from Ikea.

• plllog
    13 years ago

I don't know what "spacecorners" are, but my hardware is Blum.

Here is one of my corners. Flatware in the top, then plastics, then tea towels.

Here's the middle drawer open when it had dishes in it. I'm not a dishes in drawers type, but I gave it a good try.

Here's a detail showing the beveled edge. That doesn't work with veneer because the veneer would be all on its own at the pointy part. With the bevel there's no need for the pullout drawer fronts.

This is the middle drawer with the plastics now, so you can get a better idea of space by the comparison. It's a bit stuffed because I cleaned out the freezer when I moved into the new kitchen. I used this as an opportunity to shove the old, odd plastics (like the pickle keeper, which is left from buying bulk pickles and will come in handy if I ever make my own) into the back of a less accessible cupboard.

These utensils are between the stove and the baking. You can see in the back that my bowl of my big ladle fits in the back point beautifully.

The top part of this drawing shows the plan in the Blum PDF. The second one is what I envisioned from looking at the actual drawers in the photos on the site. Those have the pointy backs.

This is a dreadful sketch, but shows what my cabinetmaker's guy figured out. There are pins at the backs of the rails that are supposed to fit into the end of the wood sides of the drawers. In my plan I, above, the side of the drawer is the same size. It just changes the back. What the cabinetmaker did is extend the sides of the drawers to go all the way back, and gouge out a place on the bottom for the pin to lock into. I don't have a picture of that, though. This makes the drawers a lot longer. They're not full extension (you can see in the pictures above, which are pulled out all the way, that there's a part under the overhang. I think the Blum plan has them the same size front to back as for regular drawers, but because of the angle, there are inches more that they could go back. Since my aisles are wide, my cabinetmaker give me the whole length (subject to my (enthusiastic) approval). He first made them according to the Blum plan, but without the triangles. That's the first time I learned that the Blum plan was dumb. As I said, in the photos, the drawers are pointy at the back.

I love these drawers! My canisters are in the drawers under the utensils (and yes, I have five whisks. They're all different and have different uses, but mostly were accumulated over 30 years). I just love opening the drawer, pulling the top off the canister, and dipping out a little sugar if I'm cooking, or standing on the other side, and dipping out my staples for baking. I do lift out the bread flour from the bottom drawer, however, because I use so much of it at once. I had pie cut super susans in the old kitchen. They were fine, but I hated them anyway. I LOVE the drawers. And I did the math. There's at least as much storage space.

• toddimt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Plllog,

Thanks. So your bottom most corner drawer has your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, etc). I see you have a pullout to the on the right of your corner drawers, what do you keep there? Is that al a pullout or is there a drawer behind the door face? It also looks like you have a filler strip next to that. Curious as to why or is tat just for aesthetic purposes.

• plllog
    13 years ago

Hi, Todds, I'm not awake enough to figure out exactly what you need to know so I'll just tell all.

I have two sets of corner drawers. Most of the pictures above are from the West, with flatware, plastics and tea towels. On the East are the utensils with two staples drawers underneath. My 11" tall canisters, including the bread flour, and specialty flours, are in the bottom drawer. The sugar, all purpose flour, confectioner's sugar, baking soda, baking powder, etc., are in the middle drawer. On the left of that are my baking drawers with baking tools on top (measuring spoons, scrapers, thermometers, etc.), baking dishes and my bread bowl in the middle, and pans and mixing bowls in the bottom. Directly to the right of the East corner are my pot drawers, with a vestigial upper drawer that has wooden spoons and stirrers, grill pans, spatter screens and other flat items. Next to the pots is the sink, then the trash pullout you can see in the picture with drawer over, then the West corner.

It's the pullout you asked about that comes next that's the filler! :D The corner size was pretty much set by having to have a square there. (There was an extra part of an inch between the corner and sink which was absorbed into the trash pullout). On the other side of the pullout is the cooler wall. Starting from the other side is a doorway, then there's the freezer, fridge, and Advantium with cupboard above and warming drawer and other drawers below. They stick out from the uppers, as usual. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it. Around this whole bank, as well as around the pantry cabinets, and the oven stack, and the butler's pantry, too, are these wide trim pieces, that coordinate with a very narrow top molding. Yes, this was an aesthetic choice. I went round and round on it, because I was trolling for every inch, but finally decided that 3/4" wouldn't look good in the bamboo. Sacrificing an inch and a half, or whatever it was, turned out to be worth it in the end. I love the look. It makes nice frames around the various sections, and works as "posts" on the corners of the island.

So...Given the corner as it had to be, and the coolers/Advantium as far to the door as they could go, there was just room for that pullout. It's whatever was left. There's a full height back to keep things from falling off behind, and two trays. It holds cereal (muesli, oatmeal, farina), bread, cookies, and other snacky, breakfasty things. It started as "what do you want here" and has become an essential part of the kitchen. In the house I grew up in, the same things were separated from the pantry (in a cupboard in the breakfast room) because they might come from the store with bugs, and this kept the clean out manageable, so it feels right to me, but it's also handy to have them there next to the dishes and the microwave.

• kitchen_angst
    13 years ago

Here are mine, open. I don't have much to add to all of the info Pllog provided, except to say that I love the corner drawers and think they were a much better option for my space than having a piano hinge door and lazy susans, which is what was in the old kitchen. The drawers are so easy to use, easy to see everything. Mine are adjacent to the sink cabinet, so I had the sink cabinet made to include the triangular space abutting the corner drawers, giving some extra room in that cabinet.

• sammiecanada
    13 years ago

Geesh...I love those corner drawers-wish I had of done that instead of a lazy susan which I'm finding very annoying....sigh...

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

I needed to maximize space so went with Magic Corner units

Closed it takes up the space of one cabinet door which I know looks like a bank of draws but is really a single panel as you can see on the next picture.

Open shows what's inside and it extends back into otherwise dead space

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!