Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shellyg_gw

Looking for custom cabinet maker in SF Bay Area

shellyg
13 years ago

I'm looking for a reasonably priced custom cabinet maker in the SF Bay Area (I'm in San Jose). I've been reading on some of the other threads that people have found custom cabinet makers that cost as little as $250 a linear foot, but I haven't found anyone anywhere near this pricing.

The other option I'm considering is getting most of the cabinets from a semi-custom line, and having a few important and non-standard pieces made custom. Of course, even the semi-custom cabinets seem to be pretty pricey.

I checked out Ikea cabinets, which would run around $5k, but they just don't have enough sizes. And the Costco cabinets seem great as well, but they don't carry white.

I've worked out exactly what cabinets I need, and it comes out to:

10 base cabinets

5 wall cabinets

2 full height cabinets (wall oven & pantry)

Is it crazy to hope to get this done for $10k or less?

Comments (10)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Our cabinetmaker is in Redwood City, and is wonderful---I'll email you the info. His work is beautiful, and incredibly affordable for the quality, I think. We had the same budget and he was able to work with it while still getting me my Blum full extension slides, plywood boxes, and wood doors and drawers, plus a few bells and whistles my husband wanted. :)

• artemis78
    13 years ago

(Whoops, looks like your email isn't turned on---but if you drop me a note, I'll send his email on!)

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Check out Millbrea Cabinets -- They do full custom cabinets and also offer Aristocratic Cabinets. We were planning on going full custom, but ended up using Aristocratic as they offer lots of flexibility in their line. We worked with a number of cabinetry shops trying to come up with a plan that met our budget/plan and they were by far the best to work with. (We just placed the order on Christmas Eve!)

Anyway, ask for Mike -- he's great.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Millbrea Cabinet Shop

• salmon_slayer
    13 years ago

Custom Cabinet Works built the cabinets and island for our Pebble Beach house. They were competitive and came with very high evaluations. I can honestly say they were fantastic and worked with us for the solution we wanted at a reasonable price. They also pointed out a couple concerns with our design and provided solutions that made the final product better and installation much easier. They will install or just sell the cabinets. Talk to John. Email me is you want more info. I have no affiliation with them other than buying cabinets from them.

P.S. wherever you buy them from, make sure they can shoot conversion varnish finishes. The others do not hold up nearly as well. Calif EPA requirements dictate they have stringent controls that not all shops have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Cabinets

• marbles
    13 years ago

Bumping up, I'm also interested.

Does anyone have a recommendation a bit more in the South Bay (San Jose)? TIA!

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Hi Marbles,
    I used Niviya (in Cupertino) in our last home (around 2006)& at that time it was 16k for Alder wood with a stain. Our kitchen was over 100 sq ft but they put in a lot of cabinets. We were all set to use them again but our quote this time around was a lot higher.
    After shopping around at Lowes, HD and tons of independent mid-range cabinet shops, we found a place that sells Medallion cabinets. After reading on here it seems like most are very happy with the cabinets and the price was right!
    I haven't had any luck finding a resonable priced "custom" shop in bay area. I qot quotes from Rawson cabinets (in Campbell) but they were pricey, and a few others that were 25k-30k range. (and my kitchen is small!).

Anyway, our cabinets will be installed in a few weeks. You can look at them once they are in--fingers crossed everything will go ok, I'm nervous lol!
    Send me an email & I'll get the info to you.
    Have you checked yelp too?

• marbles
    13 years ago

Jillsee - Thank you!!! No laminate?! I'm interested and will definitely look. I have checked yelp, but some of the companies only have a few reviews and I always wonder how "objective" they are. I've looked at a few chinese RTA (KW and ZMC), but they are not what I'm looking for. Tried the "custom" route and got a $30K estimate - and my kitchen is small! I'm also planning on going to Signature Kitchen & Bath this week or next. It looks like they carry Medallion, Ultra and Dynasty.

• jtkaybean
    13 years ago

Oh, that's who we are using "Signature Kitchen & Bath" in Saratoga lol! Tell Patty Jill said "hi"! Those are all good cabinets, and have various promos going on so I'm sure something will fit into your budget!

Patty drove us to one of her job sites, and that's how we decided to go with the Medallion Cherry cabinet with Pecan glaze.
    Good luck and let me know once you made your decision!

• marbles
    13 years ago

No way!! Small world, funny! I've been so disappointed about my cabinet options, but now you have me looking forward to going to SK&B, thanks!

• Fori
    13 years ago

I used a guy in Fremont who was pretty good and was open to weird GW-inspired ideas. Price can range enormously based on materials you select but he is reasonable and does his own install--a huge plus in my book. (By "he" I mean his shop, which is actually a decent sized operation.)

If you want info let me know.