Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_kitchen_gw

Plase help me choose a backsplash

Melissa-Kitchen
11 years ago

I went to Lowes today and came home with three backsplash options. I'm not sure if I am 100% on any of them but I'd love everyone's opinion. I'd rather not be in the ABB club for long. (It's going in on December 29th.)

The granite is typhoon bordeaux so it's quite busy so I'm trying to keep it simple.

This is option 1

Comments (19)

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Option 2

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Option 3

Options 1 and 3 are almost the same. One is just a darker color.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Options 1 & 3 side by side to show difference in color. #1 is on the left.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just in case you are windering why the other half of my granite isn't in...they cut the sink hole in the wrong place! :( The replacement slab arrived today so I will hopefully have all of my granite and running water by Monday, Christmas Eve.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wondering, not windering...it's been a long week. :)

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And PLEASE, not plase. How do you edit posts? I'm rushing off to a Christmas party so I was hurrying. I guess I should be reading them over before I click submit. Sorry for the typos.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I suspect the light and color in your last photo is more accurate. I prefer #1 (on the left). The other one looks pink/peach to me, neither of which I care for.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Of those I like #1; do they have anything that would pick up the grey tones in the granite? That could be interesting, too.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I know, I know, I am boring but with Typhoon, I would go even simpler and do a cream ceramic.
    I also like Pal's idea of something with a slight grey, if indeed there is grey in there.
    If these samples are travertine, I would beware. Depending on the lot you get, they can run entirely different then these samples. Also, travertine is currently out of favor. Not saying this is a reason not to get it, just be aware that it has run it's course.

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hmm...good to know about the travertine. I was at Lowes so these were the only tiles that they had that weren't super busy. I tried to find a simpler porcelain tile but they had white or a beigy color that looked good against the granite but awful on the display on the wall (almost like a mustard or something along the wall.) So far the lightest tile is the front runner but I don't know if it's a winner. I am going to keep on looking this week. I just thought that my fellow GWers would steer me in a better direction.

I do have gray in the granite but I'd prefer to stay away from grays. I have oak floors, a coffee colored maple table and dark brown parsons chairs in the room so I would like something more in the brown/beige family, rather than gray.

Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate knowing what is in and out of favor since I have no clue. So if travertine and mosaics are out, what is in? I'd like to stay away from borders or something different behind the stove because I did not replace my appliances and my stove is an older style.

Melissa

• momto3kiddos
    11 years ago

I like #1, too!

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

ditto on #1 ...

• Linda
    11 years ago

What color is your floor? Do you have a picture of the whole kitchen to see how much area the backsplash will be versus windows, appliances, cabinets, etc?

• springroz
    11 years ago

Is that #1 Crema Marfil marble? If it is, be aware that it is not evenly spaced on the mesh, and so impossible to get even grout lines, and it cracks VERY easily, so allow for a lot of waste.

Last week I had this installed, and this was my experience. I didn't fuss about it, because I bought most of it for $1 at Lowe's!! My tile guy griped, though!!

Nancy

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is one view of the kitchen. There isn't a ton of backsplash. Is the backsplash supposed to go in the desk area too?

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, Nancy it is crema marfil marble. No, I didn't get it for $1...it was full price here. I wish it was $1, I think it was $12. As far as the cracking goes, I have already learned that the hard way. All three of my samples have broken and all I did was bring them home and take the pictures of them.

Also, please excuse the toy on the ground. It kind of looks like dog poop, but it's not....we don't have pets and DH has been potty trained for a while now. :)

Close up of area that will have most of the backsplash

• Melissa-Kitchen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Desk area

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

Have you looked what they have on line? If you see something you may like they can order a sample in to the local store. Also you can check with tile stores to see if they have the tile in stock.

Long story short. Found our tile at a tile store and had a sample. Found it "online only" at home depot (much lower price). Ordered it and it came quick. HD has also offered to order in samples of any tile we requested. Our Lowes works the same.

I'll leave the voting to the experts here, I like them all.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Try visiting tile stores for inspiration. They are not necessarily more expensive than HD.
    You can tile the desk area, leave it painted or do something fun like a quilted board.
    Looking at these new pictures of your kitchen, I still feel that a simple cream tile would blend in nicely with the cabinets and granite.
    Many GW members have used your granite. Start googling to see what they have done.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!