Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broston2

Cabinets + moulding that goes to 9 ft. ceiling

broston2
9 years ago

I've seen pictures before, but didn't save them. I am wanting my cabinets to go to 8 ft. and then add around 1 ft. of moulding to make them go to the ceiling. I don't like the smaller cabinet stacked on a medium sized cabinet, and I don't want space above my cabinets. Any other ideas, I'm open to!

We are doing white shaker full overlay cabinets. I'm also concerned the moulding will look too ornate?

Comments (18)

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

I'd do 48" cabinets with 6" of molding. 12" is a bit much for 42" cabinets to handle well unless the overall design is pretty hefty on the frou frou.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

Here is a nice option. Dropped soffit with band of molding and crown molding.

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here it is! Too ornate?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2142153}}

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

That's not really ''molding''. It's just a soffit in disguise with a bit of a cap molding at the bottom and crown at the top.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Redlover's 12" molding with 42" cabinets, 9 ft. ceilings. Notice how her crown does not project out onto the ceiling. Not ornate looking at all.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here is another example of 12" of crown molding in a kitchen with a 9 ft ceiling & 42" cabinets. This is a huge kitchen. It could be overwhelming in a smaller kitchen.

• romy718
    9 years ago

This is my kitchen with 45" cabinets, 9 ft ceilings & a little over 8" of crown. My crown projects out onto the ceiling so 12" would have been overwhelming as my kitchen is not as large as the previous post.
    12" In something similar to Redlover's would have worked for my kitchen.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

In a compound crown molding, it's generally only the "crown" piece that has significant projection. Redlover's crown probalby projects 2 1/2"-3" from the vertical. It has to have some projection. Note that it's not just one tall blank filler piece with crown at the top. Yes, it uses a tall filler, but it has additional molding added. As does Romy's. Both would be much less attractive and more of a "soffit" look without the additional molding pieces.

Remember that a built up multi piece molding that is that tall may actually cost more than using taller cabinets would cost.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the ideas and letting us know that taller cabinets may cost less than extra crown molding. I love all the pictures and ideas. I had so many medical set backs and other problems with the rest of my home that I only managed to install new recessed lighting and new fixtures in the downstairs rooms and new flooring last year. I will revisit my kitchen with even more knowledge after my next tax season. But I am feeling hopeful and seeing it is how everything goes together that makes a gorgeous kitchen.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Another possibility is an open shelf below the cabinets and less molding at the top. I like open shelves for items that get frequent use.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz example of shelf below cabinet[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/rie-eclectic-kitchen-phvw-vp~89692)

• broston2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! My kitchen isn't huge, but it is open to the family room. I'll attach part of the floorplan. The kitchen itself is about 15x15. Fridge is on the side by the dining room. There are 2 large pantry cabinets on the other side of the L shape. I'd love anyones advice! I don't like the shelf idea because it seems like one more thing to keep clean.

• crl_
    9 years ago

Obviously your call on an open shelf. But I have had them and if the items are frequently used then there really isn't any extra cleaning involved.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

There's a better layout to be had here. :) One that lets you face into the home rather than keeping your back to everyone. In your design, the prep will occur between the fridge and sink because there isn't enough room to the side of the cooktop for a prep zone. The island would have to be much larger for you to prep on the island. Since cooking is only 10% of the time spent in the kitchen, and prep is 70%, arrange things so that you spend most of your time facing into the room.

Do a breakfast hutch/china cabinet in the dining area, and add another window. Also, the rooms could benefit from a bit of architectural separation. That would let you do an interesting ceiling treatment in the dining area or living area, as it would give you a line of demarcation between the two. It wouldn't take much of a wing wall and cased opening to create that separation either. Nothing that would close you in.

This post was edited by GreenDesigns on Fri, Jan 2, 15 at 10:09

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Here's some visuals.

42" of cabinets with about 6" of molding. This only works because the ceiling is absent. IRL it would leave an awkward gap.

[Transitional Coffee Station[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Memphis Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

A mix of 36"H and a 42" corner cabinet. The wing wall is 108".

[Traditional Wine Bar[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-wine-cellar-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_755~s_2107) by Memphis Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

Here is a 48" "prestacked" transom cabinet with a simple cove molding. It uses a 30" bottom and 18" top, joined in one single cabinet.

[Transitional Alder Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Memphis Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

48" corner cabinets with 42"H wall cabinets and 6" of molding.

[White Inset Kitchen by Dynasty/Omega[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/transitional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2112) by Memphis Metro Kitchen & Bath Designers ProSource Memphis

• student_loans
    9 years ago

I like the pics above with the soffit and crown molding......

But I read somewhere online that soffits are considered dated. Is that still true?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

I tried to date my soffits back to ca. 1906. 9' 9" ceiling, BTW.

• miruca
    9 years ago

We have tall cabinets and six inches of moulding to the 9 ft ceiling. One KD said we couldn't do that ( obviously that KD was not very with it). From reading GW I knew we could - and we just needed to find the manufacturer that made the tall cabinets. They look awesome!!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living