Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kcremodeler_gw

Blanco silgranit sink - does WHITE look cheap?

KCRemodeler
12 years ago

Looking for some advice....

I just sent my cabinet maker off with a contract to start building my cabs (yeay!) and I'm off to finalize some items. I'm installing an undermount 60/40 sink in a walnut countertop (dover white cabs) and am trying to decide between stainless and silgranit.

I'm drawn to the silgranit sink with the hopes of less 'dink' sounds than sstl, and ease of cleaning and care (my old stainless scratched....i'm hard on sinks). I've seen the anthracite and dark silgranit sinks in person and really like the look w/ flecks of stone look. However, I can't find the white to see in person and I'm afraid that it will look cheap (since there are no flecks like the anthracite, it'll just look like white plastic). Are my concerns valid? Does the white silgranit look...cheap?

Appreciate any opinions as I try to find my sink. BTW, going with antique nickel....hence I've been thinking white and sstl are my only sink finish options. TIA!

Comments (9)

• advanced
    12 years ago

I wasn't even aware that they actually made a white. I have seen every other color, just not white.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

There have been multiple threads about whether white Silgranite stains, or whether that's another brand, or whether it's an old/new formulation, etc. You might want to search for them.

You could also do an enamel over cast iron sink.

• davidro1
    12 years ago

the upshot of it all is that a nonwhite color is better because you can leave the sink floor alone when it's good enough instead of bleaching the whole sink floor. Good enough means you could might see some residual gunk on a light surface but not on a gray or dark surface.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

I love my white! It doesn't stain at all. It will show marks from pans, but that comes off with Softscrub. Mine is Blanco white silgranite. I don't think it looks cheap or plastic at all.

• neesie
    12 years ago

I love Deb52899's white sink. My blanco silgranit is an off-white called biscuit because it better matches my cupboards and granite. Love this sink and was initially worried about stains but now going on 4 years with no issues whatsoever!

• KCRemodeler
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gah! I had not thought of the metallic grey, but that would have been a good option!! I ended up going with low divide SST sink. Countertops are being installed on Monday, so hopefully will get my finished kitchen pics up end of next week!! So excited to see everything done...and nervous....
    Thanks for your input!

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Just a quick follow up, last night I drained a can of beets into the sink. Some ran down the side and I left it purposely to see if it stained. Left for about a 1/2 hour or so. Not a stain at all. Just rinsed it off and it was gone!

Breezey - I love your remodel! It's gorgeous! I love the fireplace! Love your marble (getting marble on my island soon and I'm scared but excited!) and the wood is so warm and beautiful!

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

This is too late for the OP, but for anyone else wondering: the white does not look at all plastic-y or cheap. It has _very_ subtle flecks of grey, and a matte finish.

I have a super single that has been here for almost exactly a year now, and it looks as it did when installed. I cook a lot, and we drink coffee and red wine. No bleach is used in this kitchen, and nothing has stained it; a little scrub with baking soda takes care of anything. It helps that I use the Blanco sink grid (minimizes pots banging on base and sides), and that the faucet has a pull-down sprayer.

You the cook are the person who's going to experience the sink up close and personal, as much as or more than any other appliance in the kitchen, and about a bazillion times more than any guest. So if white is the right color for you, Silgranit is a much more forgiving (and easier to install) surface than enameled cast iron.

Will upload a pic of my sink soon. It's a drop-in / overmount, exactly fitting the cutout of the horrible, ancient, chipped enamel double sink that it replaced. Maybe the fact that it's surrounded by 1963 red Formica countertop with stainless edging makes it look less cheap by comparison . But in this kitchen, beauty is as beauty does, and the white Silgranit is a pure pleasure to work with.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022