Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3ilovepie

Duelling views on range hoods. To cover or to not.

3ilovepie
9 years ago

That is the question.

Seems as we get to the point of no return (without consequences) in our build - we have doubt and questions galore.

This time we are debating if we should box in the range hood or have the stainless steel look of the exposed hood.

Our layout will have an L shape with a long island in it. The refrigerator is on the short side of the L and our double ovens at the tip of the long side. Our sink is in the island and our range top along the long side of the L - but not centred. I think a covered hood wool look better as it isn't centred. DH disagrees and likes the look of all the stainless.

Thoughts?

Comments (9)

• rmtdoug
    9 years ago

No matter how well-intentioned, we have all seen some very ugly covered hoods. It's hard to get just right. On the other hand, stainless is stainless. You know exactly what you are getting.

If there is a stainless hood in a shape that you like, how about painting the outside of it? That might be a good compromise.

• crl_
    9 years ago

I think part of the equation is what look are you going for? A wood covered hood may suit a traditional kitchen better, while a stainless hood may suit a transitional kitchen better, and so on. Not that those are hard and fast, but something worth considering.

Personally I tend to prefer that hoods either be real focal points over gorgeous ranges, or that they be as unobtrusive as possible. I can be a bit bothered by things being asymetrical depending on the overall layout, so I would personally probably be inclined to go with as unobtrusive as possible given what you describe.

Have you both pulled some inspiration pictures? We find it easier to communicate with pictures.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Post your layout.

• Mrs_Nyefnyef
    9 years ago

I just think a stainless hood is easier to clean on the outside than a hood enclosed in a wood cabinet. I also agree with rmtdoug that it can be tricky to get a wood enclosure to look gorgeous unless you spend a lot. Also, I am never sure if a wood enclosed hood says more traditional or more American-contemporary. If you look at real kitchens from pre-'1970's, the exhaust cover might be copper or zinc or some other metal. I think a wood-enclosed hood is a design that has come about in the last few decades, but I am the first to admit I could be wrong!

Me, I would rather choose a good-quality stainless steel hood, and take the money it would cost for the wood enclosure and put it toward a better DW or fridge or backsplash, or the other tons of things that cost $$ in a kitchen reno. Just my $.02.

• Gooster
    9 years ago

A barrel or other full width shape could address your issue with the symmetry while providing a stainless finish. Or, you could get powdercoated or any number of other finishes that people have used. .

• 3ilovepie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

first off - picture not exact but close - it was made by fellow GW user.

if we go with the stainless it will likely be VAH NPR18.

• avntgardnr
    9 years ago

I love both covered and non-covered hoods...we are way more traditional, and ended up doing a covered hood. I actually wanted steel look but it really wouldn't have gone with what we did.

I think if your cabinet guy is clever, and you have other sizes of cabinet to work with - he can trick the eye into the space looking more symmetrical. That is what we had to do - but we did a custom built cabinet so we had more "play". I do think a wood covered hood would make any non-symmetry less apparent.

It also depends on your design aesthetic. Are you more modern or traditional?

• kingtutt10
    9 years ago

It would help if we knew your style and budget for your kitchen.

Being of center won't look out of place with most hoods it will just be the way it is.

• imageshark
    9 years ago

it's subjective. It depends on what you like. I personally like the built in hood - I think it looks more custom.