Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtkitchengirl

slate countertops

vtkitchengirl
13 years ago

Hi- does anyone have pics of slate countertops they could share? We are torn between soapstone and slate and am wondering if anyone has any experience in terms of pros and cons I've seen lots of soapstone pics but not many of slate. We are leaning toward antique white maple cabinets and I'm a little worried that the soapstone will be too dark. Thanks!

Comments (18)

• adel97
    13 years ago

Take a look here: http://www.vermontstructuralslate.com/applications/counter-tops.

We seriously considered slate for countertops also (only New England slate though, as the Brazilian "slates" are a different animal altogether). The grey/blue and the purple structural slate is beautiful and bulletproof but it is a very particular "look" as the color options are minimal. The white is beautiful as well, but it is more like a marble (it etches).

Are you in Vermont or does the "vt" in your name mean something else? If you are, you may want to go to one of the VT queries and check out slabs. Or you can order samples online.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: VT slate countertop gallery

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Whenever this company is mentioned, I am immediately ready to consider Unfading Red.

If I had it available locally and if it were affordable, I'd design a room around it. Disclaimer: I have no experience with this product.

• vtkitchengirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the link. Yes, the vt does stand for Vermont and that's why I've been considering slate - it is local to the state. I love the mottled purple and green and you are right it is a particular "look." I would really like something a little different from all the granite I see - as long as it can stand the wear and tear of daily kitchen life.

I wish I had the guts for the unfading red! Wow!

• darbuka
    13 years ago

Actually, it's New York and New England slate that is the best for kitchen
    applications. Upstate NY has huge slate deposits of the same kind as
    Vt and Maine. DH and I visited the Sheldon Slate Co., in Middle Granville,
    NY a few years ago, and were greatly impressed. I took home a book of
    samples, and threw everything at them. The only color that showed
    porosity was the black. And, any scratches I made disappeared w/a drop
    of mineral oil, much like soapstone. Oh, and the colors were gorgeous!

Check out Sheldon Slate's new website, and look at the gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sheldon Slate

• thusie
    13 years ago

A lurker but here goes:-)

I have 2 slabs of the purple green on each side of my range and we got them from VT SS, joy to deal with.
    I LOVE them!!! Hot pan no problem, oil, tomato, nada wipe up with a wet rag. Yes it will get minor surface scratches. I used STT's CE to enhance the color a bit, not the high shine wet look just richer color, a wipe with a wet cloth takes care of the lighter look of scratches. The honed finish feels very sensual, only way I can describe it. No I'm not careful with it. It is slate so dropping something heavy on a corner wouldn't be good, or taking a pan and smacking it willfully could do some damage.

Yes it is a different look, but it is also rather neutral, I want more of it!!!! Our kitchen face lift on a budget was done in such a way we can replace counter tops as money allows, so there will be more.

Will it stand up to heavy kitchen use, absolutely. The salivation factor of folks who see/feel it, priceless.

• lakeaffect
    13 years ago

vtkitchengirl-

We have VT/NY slate on either side of our range as well, it looks great and as stated upthread, it takes oil, red wine, tomato sauce, vinegar, lime juice, etc., in stride. It will scratch though, small, light scratches that can be oiled out, but if you are a perfectionist and can't stand the thought of a patina, slate might not be for you.

We have found all true VT/NY slate colors to be true neutrals, we have the mottled grey/green/purple paired with bright yellow, red, blue and wood cabs in our unfitted kitchen and it looks great. And while I love the mottled we have, if I had the $$, I would have the biggest, honking slab of unfading red that I could find, it is absolutely stunning, but, as you noted, not for the faint of heart.

Here are a few pics:

Good luck-

sandyponder

• thusie
    13 years ago

I should note mine is also the purple /green, a bit different mix than sandyponders, more swirled.

BTW sandyp you are the one that got me going on that:-) Big thanks!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

OT Sandyponder: Thanks for posting your photos.

Am looking with great interest at your knife slits to right of range. We're planning to put slit(s) into our countertop next to range.

Am I correct in thinking that you have a series of slits about 4 inches long? How do you like your slit pattern? Does it allow you the kind of use you would prefer? Would you do it differently if you were to redesign it?

We've wondered if this plan would work:
    If we can reinforce it on bottom to prevent warping of the butcherblock, make a long slit with the grain about 3 or 3.5 inches from wall with the rule that small knives go to one side, larger ones to the other. The drawers directly under the butcherblock were made short, in anticipation of this. My hope is that I can grab many knives from dishwasher simultaneously in two hands and put them in slits relatively quickly in a general movement, no drawer pulling and minimal eye-hand effort. No compulsive "each knife in its place" either. Nearby is the chopping station pull-out cutting board and a sink. Knives will be far enough back to allow the space in front to be a plunk space that serves the range and the space behind to give knuckle clearance and dodge the undercounter light above, even for my longest broadest big knife. (Bread knives and a couple paring knives go to the sandwich station drawer, which is farther away.)
    Reaction?

___

Would love anyone who has an example of unfading red countertops to make a posting, to feed an addict's craving.

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

Mmm, I know, I'd love to see Unfading Red in person some day...

Sandy, as always I adore your droolworthy kitchen.

Below I've linked an older thread on slate with some gorgeous photos of Edlakin's slate countertops, plus a few resource reviews (ignore the grumpy members and just read for the information):

Here is a link that might be useful: older slate thread

• lakeaffect
    13 years ago

Oh, thusie, how kind of you to tell me that we got you going on VT/NY slate, very cool! I don't recall seeing any pics of your kitchen, would love to, if you feel like posting.

florantha-

Yikes, you found one of those unfinished parts of my kitchen, the knife slot, I still need to stain and oil it, but have I do so? No, I have not, nor have we finished the 3 stinking pieces of trim, the paint touch ups or the toe kick, but we did get the new light fixture hung (see the pics at the "steampunk" thread). Anyway, despite it's unstained, unoiled state, we love the knife storage. It's one long slit, about 1/16th of an inch wide and the entire length of the counter, from about 2" in on both sides. It works great for the large knives, but the shortie knives (and the very light boning knives) kind of fall over (see the pic above). They don't fall out, so no safety issues, but they wobble a little to one side or the other.

It's a piece of black walnut about 1/2" thick, glued to the slate and screwed to the paneling in the wall. There is no warping or distortion of any kind, and we have, ahem, been known to put knives in there wet or semi dry. Would I do the same thing again, well, a series of smaller slits might make the small paring type knives not fall over so much, but then again, maybe not, so I would have to say no, I would not change anything. We wanted to maximize storage, so we chose one long opening, and it works out well, I can stand at the butcher block and reach for a knife, but they're out of the way and corraled in one place, and like you, we wanted plunk space on the slate, no worries about burning or warping that puppy. Much more convenient than a drawer for us, and safer IMO, blades are always down and covered. We thought about getting one of those boxes that goes underneath (the Edlund company in Burlington, VT, my hometown, makes a nice one), but were typically not organized enough to get it here when our contractor was installing the surround and I honestly think it would have been a waste of money, we really don't need it (if the storage was at the open end of a BB, totally would get the enclosure).

Do you really think you need to reinforce the BB? Cuz as I said, we haven't had any warping or movement at all and our contractor is a super careful guy (who I challenge *all the time* with my wacky ideas) and he didn't even mention it.

And circuspeanut, thank you for the kind words about my kitchen, that is high praise coming from you! Someday my kitchen will actually be finished, and then I will probably want to change it again, maybe to something with, hmmm, copper counters...

Sorry for hijacking, vtkitchengirl, and let us know what you decide to do.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• vtkitchengirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thanks for all the great info everyone. Sandyponder, I love the way slate looks in your kitchen. It seems to have a real warmth to it. Thanks to everyone for the info on how well slate holds up too. I'll let you know where I land - I'm looking at slabs this week...but I tend to be a slow decision maker!

BTW, sandyponder- that corner stove is so cool!

• never_ending
    13 years ago

Yes vtkitchen keep us posted and post what you find! I thought the same thing about light cabinets and soapstone, at least for my design plan, but think I would love the feel and qualities of soapstone and slate.

I always thought I would jump at granite (I can be crow like with shiny objects!) but now that I'm in the planning stage I just can't get excited about it. I must admit I am positively smitten with some of the wood countertops I have seen here, but want to make sure I consider all stone types before I commit.

A colleague has slate countertops and he loves them still after many years with them. Scratches buff out easily and he maintains they have antibacterial properties. I don't know if that is true, but... =)

Here is a link that might be useful: Slate test

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hi Vtkitchengirl,

Slate is the unassuming, quietly classic and extremely
    beautiful player in the kitchen. I have seen slate
    backsplashes, floors and even slate chalkboards in kitchen
    spaces. Slate countertops are not as common but they are
    there. As you know VT has some great options along with
    canadian sources of slate.

Here are a few images for you.
    ~boxerpups

VT Structural Slate Co.

VT Structural Slate Co.

VT Structural Slate Co.

Slate from Homeportfolio

Sheldon Slate Products

Plum Slate

VT Structural Slate Co.

Honed VT. Slate google image

Home Portfolio Slate

VT Structural Slate Co.

Black Slate Stone

Slate Sink by JBusteed typepad

Chalkboard Slate by Kitchendesigner

New Prarie Conrstruction Slate

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

An old teacher here--I assume slate surface remains cold to the touch, yes? as much as granite?

• davidro1
    13 years ago

like all tile, stone, steel etc.
    as cold to the touch as the others.

• thusie
    13 years ago

That sink made out of the purple green is stunning! Great pictures.

As to the feel? Nothing quite like the visual of 3 grown men fondling your honed slate counter tops:-)

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Sandyponder--I always am an admirer of your kitchen...and there are so many details to...ponder. Never saw the closeup of your counters before. Wowza!

Boxer--Love that blue green slate counter you posted!

Vtkitch-just saw pics of a slate countertop in a firehouse reno in Philly posted in NYTimes. I am linking it below. I don't know if it will take you to the exact pic or if you have to flip through. Originally the slate was in the firehouse bathroom but the owner repurposed it as kitchen countertops.

Here is a link that might be useful: $600,000 homes