Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Just removed popcorn ceiling - what texture or no texture?

Posted by yorkiemiki (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 15:49

Hi so I just removed my popcorn ceiling and I'm wondering what texture would make the ceiling look taller.

I have just an 8 ft tall ceiling. The living/kitchen/dining is all one room about 550 sq ft (it's just a condo)

Should I texture, orange peel or leave it flat?

What type of pain finish is best for making it look like more height? -flat, semi gloss, egg shell satin?

I want the illusion of higher ceilings

Also would crown molding help the space seem larger or taller?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Just removed popcorn ceiling - what texture or no texture?

No pattern and high gloss.
Another tip is to have crown moulding inwards onto the ceiling, like this:

or this tip:
Make the ceiling smaller by extending wall paint well past the architectural line where both meet. "Choose a point anywhere from five to eight inches from where ceiling meets wall. Measure, then tape off, a running border along the ceiling diameter. Paint the taped-in area with a lighter color; choose a darker hue for walls. Frank Lloyd Wright did this all the time. It tricks the eye into seeing a higher ceiling and taller walls," says Flynn.

Also, check out these tips below.

Here is a link that might be useful: making ceiling appear higher

o

High gloss ceilings require a boatload of extra prep if you want them to look good. They will show every little droop in the drywall and nail bump and bowed joist. The reason people do texture is to hide the crappy drywall and framing work. It can be out of level, have nail pops, and all kinds of issues and the texture disguises all of that.

o

We recently removed our popcorn ceilings also. Fortunately, we had vaulted ceilings in the great room, but not in the kitchen. The one thing that really made the ceilings seem higher to me was removing the light fixtures and installing can lights. I think it is fantastic.

o

I prefer no texture on the ceiling. We're mid-reno right now. Tore out the plaster ceiling because we were running so much lighting that it made sense. Our plaster has a very random figure-8-ish texture. Very random. I know because I spent a ton of time when we first moved in patching small areas that needed attention. But, I digress.

We have 8 foot ceilings and we are keeping the ceiling untextured. The rest of the walls (now a mixture of original plaster walls and some drywall) are going to have texture. We are having discussions with our guy right now trying to get him to get the texture right...did I mention that we have a random figure-8?

Anyway, do you have texture on the rest of the walls? If you do and you're trying to match it, it might be difficult to do so.

You don't want to go with a high-gloss paint for the ceiling - you'll see every variation of the ceiling. We opted for a satin finish for the ceiling...it's still got a bit of sheen, but not really glossy...I've found satin easy to clean (unlike a flat or even in some cases, an eggshell) if I wind up with a tomato sauce pop up on the ceiling.

We're doing cabinets to the ceiling and we're hoping that gives a illusion of higher ceilings.

We're thinking of doing a glass tile that has long thin strips, and if we run it vertical instead of horizontal, it will also help with the illusion of higher ceilings.

Another thing that I think helps, is keeping simpler lines. I think that the more ornate things are (fancy countertop edges, complex cabinet door styles, etc) from the floor to eye level, the more your eye gets drawn to them and gets stuck from traveling upward.

o

Wouldn't painting the ceiling the same colors as the walls help, too? (As long as the color isn't too dark)

o

Hands down, no texture.

o

Where I live, the standard texture is knock-down. I'm not crazy about it, but it does cover myriad flaws. It's really not noticeable on the ceiling.

I have 9-ft. ceilings (plus vaulted in the living and dining rooms). No crown molding. My ceiling is the same color as the walls (rich vanilla) and it makes the ceilings disappear at times.

I hate sheen on a wall or ceiling so it's all matte for me. It's soft and doesn't call attention to itself, thus disappearing or appearing higher.

o

We used kind of mix between smooth and textured on our ceiling ... I think they called it "cloud texture". If you run your hand over it, it feels very smooth, but if you look closely, you will see that the surface has imperfections. The areas of "texture" are random and do not cover the entire surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here