Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

One small step for kitchen-kind!

lazy_gardens
11 years ago

Finally, one countertop replaced!

This is the after. It's alder with multiple coats of Waterlox on it.

Sink was reused, faucet was replaced, cabinets refinished a while back with gel stain.

We'll patch the wall and paint in a bit, and I have 4 more sections to replace, but I'm so happy to see even one of those !#$%!$ laminate countertops leave that I'm posting this.

Comments (14)

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the before ... 1980s tan laminate with ugly end blocking to compensate for their inability to cut to the right dimensions.

• localeater
    11 years ago

Looks great, the wood is really a beautiful color.

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was happily surprised when I started testing stains on the bottom of that piece, because it was very pale, almost like white birch. But it turned that color with the first bit of Waterlox, so I cancelled the stain testing.

Cost about $200 for this section of the kitchen, because we changed out a lot of the under the sink stuff that was elderly, and good valves and supply lines aren't cheap.

Counter from http://www.perfectplank.com/

• deedles
    11 years ago

Ooo. That's really pretty!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Looks great! I like the unstained color, very rich and warm.

• springroz
    11 years ago

I think that looks great, and the cabinets look really good with the new gei stain!!

Nancy

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

Looks great! Love the wood! It is so warm, and timeless. I'm going to be changing out some mid '80s white ceramic tile tops with some thick wood soon, will post some befores and afters...

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

the new counter top is beautiful - that's a great new look for 202$s - and new guts to go with it!

what gel stain did you use on the cabinet?

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The cabinets are walnut "builder standard" from the 1980s. They had faded badly. (left)

So I stained them (right) with a mix of General Finishes "Java" (2/3) and "Georgian Cherry" (1/3). We wanted a warm walnut brown: Java alone was too brown, Georgian cherry alone was way too red, so we blended.

Scrubbed cabinets with soap and water to remove crud, then with mineral spirits and steel wool to remove grime and oils. No sanding! I wiped stain on with a rag in a very thin layer because I wanted the grain to show, then topped it with General finishes wipe-on poly gel top coat.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Love the counters and great job on the cabinet stain! What a nice update!

• ghostlyvision
    11 years ago

Love the counter top, and how you handled gel staining the cabinets, I've been struggling with what to do with mine and your method sounds workable and came out really pretty.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Geeze!
    It's amazing what you've done with so little $$!!!!!

The shades of the wood are gorgeous together. I've got a ton of unfinished maple that I want to be a warm brown -- no red or yellow -- but I hesitate since I don't want to screw it up!

You've given me courage! [LOL]

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Love it! The cabs and counter are beautiful.

• User
    11 years ago

It may be slow but it sure is coming along great...really beautiful !! c