Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookncarpenter

last time around

cookncarpenter
11 years ago

Fairly new here, but visited often in research for upcoming kitchen re do. Last time we re did it was in 1986! Faithful cooktop/downdraft will be replaced by range/hood. Ceramic tile counters and low backsplash will be soapstone. Upper tile bar top counters will be a thick wood, probably Mesquite.
Knotty pine cabinetry, oak floors, and layout will remain the basically the same, not too many options in this 10"x10-8" 1953 rancher kitchen.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 11:48

Comments (13)

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The 36" BlueStar range will sit replacing the existing 43" cooktop base cabinet. This will give me a 7" opening on the right side where I will put a narrow open cabinet for trays, cutting boards etc.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 14:08

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will replace existing combo wall oven with Micro above, and three or four drawers below, haven't decided weather to replace warming drawer or not...
    The trusty o'l (still working fine) 1984 Amana 32" built in refer to be replaced by a Liebherr 30" fully integrated. (hope it even lasts half as long)
    Thinking about removing doors on upper above butcher block counter and leave as open shelves. And will be swapping out doors/pull outs below butcher block for two drawers.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Dec 24, 12 at 0:25

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Built a plywood hood moc up (Modern Aire dimensions) to see how it will look in the space before committing to a range.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 13:54

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Modified hood dimensions a bit, to lighten the bulkiness. Changed angle of slope and lengthened chimney 3". This will be custom made in seamless stainless, with a remote 1000 cfm blower.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 14:01

• Bunny
    11 years ago

Wow, your skill making hood mockups is nothing short of amazing. I would have hung cardboard boxes and/or balloons. It looks great as it is.

Edited to fix typo

This post was edited by linelle on Sat, Dec 1, 12 at 20:21

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Linelle, thanks for the chuckle! I have to agree with you.
    Ctycdm, how much work did you do yourself on your house? Will this be a DIY project?
    I would love to see more of your house. The kitchen has a cabin feel to it. Are you in a country setting?

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have done almost everything myself on this house, and the kitchen re-do will also be a DYI. However, I am a builder (GC) and finish carpenter, ...and if you haven't already guessed, I'm also the cook!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 17:14

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Yours will be a fun project to follow:)

• cardamon
    11 years ago

I'm impressed already! I like the feel of the kitchen now. It will be interesting to see it with what you are planning to do. Thanks for giving the before and I look forward to seeing the after. You do great work. And it is only a mock up!

• lyfia
    11 years ago

Great mock up and I like the feel of your current kitchen too. Seems like you have some great natural light in there too, based on the windows and the sky light.

I'm wondering though if you could benefit from some improvement in the sink/dw placement or maybe it is just the pictures not showing it, but do you have room to stand by the sink and also have the dw open?

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

For a small kitchen, it works great right now, but our trusty appliances are beginning to show their age. Standing at the sink and loading the dishwasher is actually quite convenient, but definitely only room for one.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 17:18

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Great job mocking up the range hood.

I'm not a fan of them, so to me, the smaller the better, the more disguised, the better....unless they are very cool ones that make a distinct statement. But those hoods tend to be very modern which I'm not sure will work well in your space.

To post more than one pic in a post, you can copy the image address and paste it as follows, replacing the parentheses with pointy brackets (less than and greater than signs) and the xxx with the image address (usually starts with an http: and ends with .jpg)

(img src="xxx")

If the image is too wide, then you can make it smaller by adding a width parameter as follows

(img src="xxx" width="500")

• cookncarpenter
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks!

This post was edited by ctycdm on Mon, Dec 17, 12 at 17:20