Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wi_sailorgirl

Amazing new Sarah Richardson Ikea kitchen

wi-sailorgirl
13 years ago

Sarah Richardson just posted this picture on her Facebook page. It's the kitchen for the new season of "Sarah's House" that they are taping. All cabinetry is Ikea.

The backsplash, which Sarah says is her new go-to backsplash tile is honeycomb marble. Pretty great looking, I think.

I think this just goes to show that less expensive kitchens can look truly amazing.

Comments (28)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Don't know Sarah Richardson but getting Ikea cabinets to look really good in a kitchen is a bit of a no-brainer. They have been a favorite of design- and budget-conscious people for years for that very reason.

She appears to be using very nice looking tile for that range guard and smart to see it going all the way up as a SS hood or even a white one will look great against it.

Wonder if she'll add a library ladder to the kitchen to get to that top row of cabinets?

• deeageaux
    13 years ago

With those ultra high ceilings and cathedral window(s) it is hard to make that kitchen look bad.

Potato sack meet Marlyn. LOL

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Hey, Sarah Richardson STOLE MY BACKSPLASH!!! jk

• donna murphy
    13 years ago

Can anyone tell what those countertops are?? Love the backsplash. Yum!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

What is that backsplash? Love!

• morton5
    13 years ago

Is it my monitor, or does the paint on the cabinet mouldings and side panels not match the doors? Also, in the pic it looks like the door jamb on the left will interfere with the cabinet doors.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Those appear to be IKEA cabinet doors, and are probably IKEA cabinets. But there is also some custom work there. IKEA is a frameless cabinet, full overlay. The way this kitchen has been done makes it appear, in a way, to be inset. All of those panels that cover the sides of the cabinets as well as the sides doors are probably custom. And if you look at the front of the island, there are spacers, or something, that you wouldn't ordinarily see in a standard IKEA kitchen. I'm not sure what's going on there. It does appear to me, too, that the trim and doors are different colors, and maybe the center panel of the door is a different color than the stiles?

The upper cabs on the far left appear to have a spacer of some kind to pull them slightly away from the door trim. But it still looks like there could be a problem with clearance.

As for IKEA cabinets being good only when you want something to look pretty, but not when you want it to function . . . I have to disagree with that assessment. My kitchen looks good and functions well.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>All of those panels that cover the sides of the cabinets as well as the sides doors are probably custom. And if you look at the front of the island, there are spacers, or something, that you wouldn't ordinarily see in a standard IKEA kitchen. I'm not sure what's going on there. It does appear to me, too, that the trim and doors are different colors, and maybe the center panel of the door is a different color than the stiles?

People have been using cover panel to wrap ikea cabs for a more high-end look for a long time now (although the long panel to the left of the sink must be something else since you couldn't score those beadboardish grooves into ikea panel) . As for the difference in color, my guess would be that those are the new Ramsjo doors (a sort of pinkish-white lime wash finish), which for some reason don't have any matching panels.

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I don't think its finished, but it looks like the trim is wood - maybe ultra white maple or birch. It's too hard to tell in the poorly lighting.

The trim or the doors or both may not yet be painted the final color.

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"As for IKEA cabinets being good only when you want something to look pretty, but not when you want it to function . . . I have to disagree with that assessment. My kitchen looks good and functions well."

I just want to clarify that I'm not saying that Ikea kitchens don't function well. I have no idea if they do as I've never been in one or even looked at Ikea cabinets in person. I do know, however, that this is a question that is frequently asked on this board so whether it's true or not, there is a certain segment of the cabinet-shopping public who at least wonder about it. And there have been several comments to this extent when talking about Sarah Richardson's kitchens before.

I'm glad you love your kitchen jakeabedy.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

Thanks for sharing! I've been thinking about that same tile, since seeing it in this kitchen. I looked and looked and couldn't find any other inspiration pics. I'm excited to see Sarah's finished product!

{{!gwi}}

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

Who is Sarah Richardson? Is she on cable tv?

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

young-gardener, that inspiration picture is awesome and makes me love that backsplash (and I'm not really a marble person) even more than in Sarah's kitchen.

Florantha, Sarah Richardson is a Canadian designer who you can catch occasionally on HGTV (cable). She's got a very classic, not overdone style that a lot of people like.

• morton5
    13 years ago

Young-gardener, I love the charcoal-grey uppers with white lowers in your inspiration pick. But that pilaster to the left of the range-- courageous to put it there, but I think I would have opted for tray storage.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I keep thinking about the fabulous backsplash! I'm drawn to it so much. Unfortunately, I don't see how it would work with the Bianco Antico and other granites of similar colors that I am drawn to for the new kitchen. Oh well. Maybe in the masterbath!!

I'm curious to see this kitchen completed.

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

Shanghai mom-I have to laugh because that's what I thought when I saw that kitchen: she stole your backsplash! ;)

I TIVO'ed the 2010 season of her show "Sarah's House" on HGTV where she was adding on to/remodeling an old farmhouse. I didn't actually find the kitchen episode very helpful, but I loved (and watched multiple times) the two different episodes she did on remodeling the two bathrooms and took away many pointers on how/where/why to incorporate marble while still accomplishing a budget friendly bath remodel.

A good tip she passed along is that she pretty much always chooses a fabric for a jumping off point to design a room-even the bathroom. Now that said, I have to say I personally don't love a lot of the fabrics she picks, but how she pulls together a room is still instructive even if I don't love her whole design aesthetic. She and her assistant are likable/fun to watch and they share a lot of helpful tips.

• amysrq
    13 years ago

Donnaclover, I think SR tends to use quartz a lot. I have never seen her show, but have perused her website a number of times and quartz shows up repeatedly.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's some of her thoughts....

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

young-gardener, where did you find that inspiration photo? It's lovely!

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Mine is Calcutta 3" hex tile similar to what's in young-gardeners gawgeous photo. The Sarah kitchen looks like there are more beige tones sprinkled in the pattern. Sarah's is very pretty!

• wi-sailorgirl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shanghaimom ... that is utterly gorgeous! Wow ... I never thought I'd be totally head over heels for a marble backsplash but something about this one is just awesome.

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

do you think "honeycomb" is Canadian-speak for hex tile, or is it the marble color?

• shanghaimom
    13 years ago

Thank you, sailorgirl.(-8 ...wi as in WI?

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Shanghai--I think you're correct. Honeycomb is a term I heard before hex tile for that shape. I'm not Canadian though, but live close. I knew I'd seen Sarah's BS before--it was your gorgeous kitchen that I love so much! I wish I could make that tile work with the granite I want.

• burghmom
    13 years ago

shanghaimom--that backsplash is gorgeous! Exactly what is it? What color/stone is your countertop?? So pretty! Really in line with the look I am after...still in the beginning/planning stage right now:-)

• kac5653
    13 years ago

i need a source for that beautiful backsplash. Struggling to find a 3in hex in marble like shown. Any suggestions?

• senator13
    13 years ago

It looks like you can get it here maybe.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

If you haven't seen shanghaimom's finished kitchen, you really should search it...while her backsplash is really pretty in and of itself, it's the whole package that makes her kitchen totally amazingly fabulous! It's definitely one of my favorites :)