Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Super White Granite Seam Issue & Crack

Posted by superwhite2014 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 15:38

Hi Folks,

Just had some super white quartzite installed. After the installer left I noticed two issues

1. There's a crack running down the length of the slab

2. There's an odd 1cm mark at the miter seam (see pic).

I'd love it if a fabricator/installer could weigh in on the the seam mark. I'm being told it's natural and not a big deal (obviously not true). I'd also like some advice on the crack. Ideally, I don't want to have the whole thing ripped out and reinstalled, so if the mortar will prevent the crack from spreading, I'm fine with it.

The bigger issue for me is the weird mark. I'd love to know what it is and if there's a way a to get rid of it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Super White Granite Seam Issue & Crack

I see 3 marks: 1) a small one in the corner, 2) one above and to the left of it, 3) one in the lower corner of the photo.

The stone itself is gorgeous and what I dream of having one day.

o

@ linelle

You're correct, there are three marks in the photo. I'm mainly interested in getting an explanation on the bigger one. I can live with the others.

o

Superwhite 2014:

Pull out a drawer and see if there is mesh adhered to the back of your stone. If so, I wouldn't worry about the crack, it shouldn't spread. It is natural. Those who don't like fissures should get estone or solid surface countertops.

I'd grind those black blotches out with a Dremel, fill and polish them in about 15 minutes, especially if they bothered a customer so much.

o

The big black mark looks like filler...

o

Can you show a picture from further away? The 2 big black marks look bad, but it's hard to tell in relation to the rest of the stone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here