Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Is your second sink a prep sink?

lavender_lass
13 years ago

I have a second sink in my 'proposed' kitchen remodel...still in the planning stages, but it's not my prep sink. My prep area is with my larger, main sink. I'm using the second sink for drinks and as part of the snack area.

How about you? How do you use your second sink, if you have one...or do you wish you did?

Here's a picture of my plan...and I also don't have water on the fridge, since we have well water and the hard water blocks those little tubes in no time! LOL

{{gwi:618189}}

And I always try to post a picture of two, so people can see the style of the space. This first picture is what I want the larger sink to be like, but with the opening to the dining room, rather than the window....and a white sink with antique brass faucet and hardware.

{{gwi:1518828}}

Here's an overall theme picture, which I'm sure EVERYONE has seen by now (LOL) but I love it :)

{{gwi:617005}}

Comments (18)

• plllog
    13 years ago

My secondary sink is a prep sink. It's not unheard of to have a secondary sink be a "bar" sink. In your layout the fridge is equally accessible to both, so if you need to use the smaller sink as an extra prep venue (when you have more than one cook), it's not inconvenient, though, obviously, the second sink isn't situated for access to the cooking.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like my big sink by the cooktop. It gives me plenty of room to drain pasta and still have salad stuff draining on the other side.

The smaller sink is going to be perfect for grabbing water or my husband making drinks. Also handy for a second cook to prep salad, etc.

I also like that my big sink is close to my baking area, making it easy to load up the dishwasher as I go, rather than having to walk to the other side of the kitchen :)

• houseful
    13 years ago

My main is a 50/50, 30". My island sink is a single 21". It is a prep, but can also be used for draining pasta, soaking large pans or washing utensils quickly while cooking and baking. My old kitchen had this setup and I loved it so much that I made sure my second sink was still large.

• lavender_lass
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Houseful- That's a good point! I think a lot of prep sinks look small (at least on the plans) and maybe that's why I think they're just for washing veggies.

It sounds like your sinks work really well. How do you have your kitchen laid out? Do you have one dishwasher or two (I'm only going to have one). Do you have any pictures? :)

• zelmar
    13 years ago

Both of our sinks are multi-functional during prep/cooking time and clean up time.

Large Sink: is in the prep/cooking zone. It has a drainboard attached so that items that are draining can be placed there to leave the sink available for other needs. I use this sink the most while prepping/cooking. We use it to wash most of our pots and other hand washables.

Smaller Sink (not too large because I wanted to maximize counter space but it was large enough to serve nicely as our only sink for a couple of months before the other sink was hooked up): is on the opposite side of our kitchen. It's in the main walkway and is near the fridge and closer to the table than the main sink. The dw is located here--giving us 2 clean up areas when the main sink is used for handwashing. It's convenient to both the dirty dishes coming off the table and the dirty dishes on the prep peninsula. The baking area is next to this sink. Dd can have her own source of water if she makes dessert while I cook. This sink is used by anybody helping me prep.

I like having water close by no matte where I am in the kitchen. It also makes it easy for wiping lots of counter space off into the sinks.

This is a really good question. I think the label "prep" sink hinders people from thinking about the true potential of the sink when planning their kitchens.

• Fori
    13 years ago

My second sink is in the bathroom.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Our "prep" sink is in the peninsula and is multifunctional as well. It is by the door to our backyard, so is very convenient for handwashing when coming in from outside (i.e. gardening). Hubby uses it to fill his gallon thermos every morning and also fills the bucket for the bird baths there. The kids use it to wash their hands, to make koolaid or lemonade, and there is also a filtered water dispenser there for drinking water. I use it for emptying and filling my coffee pot and also actual prepping--especially peeling potatoes. Once the dining table is in and we actually USE the space to dine, I will also use that sink as the closest one for cleaning the table. It can also be filled with ice and used as an ice bucket for entertaining.

Lovin' the second sink.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I can see maybe why you were misunderstanding my definition and intended use of a prep sink in your plans and others. I wouldn't put in a 'prep sink' that wouldn't be large enough to fill and drain pots, and truthfully, I wish mine had a little more room for hand-washing my cast iron skillets and stove parts. But bar size sinks (around 12" or less) are useless for actual prep use, in my opinion. I couldn't wash a decent amount of veggies in one of those without banging my knuckles, or fit our colander, so wouldn't want one any smaller than ours, which is 14 x 16" inside. If I ever do another kitchen, the prep sink will be 24" or even 30", if I can fit it, and I'll have a single 36" for the main sink. Malhgold has a prep sink the same size as her main sink...Both 30", and I think that's a great setup.

Some people do like you're planning, though, and have a main sink for both cleanup and prep, and a secondary or bar sink for hands and beverages. It's just a whole different concept than having a 'prep' sink. Worldmom even planned all 3...a main sink, an island prep sink across from her stove, and a bar sink in the snack/beverage area. Just right for her family.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

My prep sink is used for prepping and cooking...from washing veggies & fruit to draining pasta to washing up utensils if needed. I love that I don't have to compete w/dirty dishes in the sink OR dirty dishes sitting around the sink getting in the way of prepping.

Having a separate prep sink also allows you to separate the Cleanup Zone from the Prep & Cooking Zones...a much more functional setup. No competing for sink space w/someone cleaning up while you're trying to prep and cook. No DW in the way. It increases the functionality of a kitchen so much and gives you multi-functional space when needed (like when you have several people working in the kitchen at one time.)

My prep sink is 15-3/4" square and is fine for most things. Occasionally, I wish it were a couple of inches wider, but not that often. However, like RHome410, if I ever do another kitchen I will aim for a prep sink a bit wider...21" to 24". I'll still stick w/my double-bowl sink, though. (Maybe make that wider as well if there's room.)

Most people who find their prep sinks "useless" for much more than an "ice bucket" at parties or as a "drinking fountain" either have a sink that's too small (width/depth/deep) OR it's not located properly.

I'm not saying that your particular layout is "bad", but I do think you are going to run into the "competing" issues at the main/cleanup sink...competing for floor space (especially since it's so close to a corner), competing for counterspace w/dirty dishes, and competing for sink space with, again, dirty dishes. If you plan on using just one side for dirty dishes and the other for prepping and only putting dirty dishes on the counter on the DW side of the sink...well, good luck with that! I tried that in my old 1-sink kitchen and it never worked! Maybe your family is very disciplined & will follow your plans, but mine family is not! Plus, w/only 25.5" on the DW side, it's not much if you have substantial overflow of dirty dishes (or if you have to take the dirty dishes out of the sink so you can prep in the sink).

If you've already lived with this and know that it works for your family, great! Bottom line...this is your kitchen and you should design it for your family and how your family works. We just offer you our experiences as well as mentioning the experiences others have reported.

• lyvia
    13 years ago

This is a great discussion. I'm planning a prep sink, but DH keeps thinking that because of that name it has to be less than ten inches across, but not so! I should call it the clean sink- my main goal is to keep edibles/potables away from dirty dishes. It will be next to the stove, so it will be the pot filler and draining sink. Actual size to be determined. The kitchen designer started asking me how I use the sink now, and revealed that I mostly sit in the corner and watch DH. We will see what size she thinks I need for that! lol DH is against change, and can't imagine how a second sink might be nice. But he is willing to let me plan.

• houseful
    13 years ago

Here is a shot giving you perspective of the whole kitchen, and then some with sinks installed.

In case you are wondering, I spent 15 years with the clean-up sink on the peninsula, pretty much like you have yours. I knew I wanted my clean-up zone off where we didn't have to stare at it all the time. At the same time, I never had a DW, so as you can imagine, there was ALWAYS something sitting waiting to be washed. Plus, I did not have a raised bar. Many people questioned my floorplan, but I am more than happy with it.

Your space looks like it's going to be beautiful and charming. I look forward to your progress.

• pussuskattus
    13 years ago

I am in the "second sink is large" group. My main sink is a 30" single-bowl in the island right across from my cooktop with the refrigerator to the right and the dishwasher below.

The second sink is a 20" single bowl - it's over in the part of the kitchen I have set aside for my husband and son! That's where we keep the bread and the snacks and there are a couple of pull-out pantries for peanut butter and cans of soup, etc. The microwave is there, too. We also keep the everyday dishes and silverware over there, as well as second dishwasher,so THEY can set the table (and clean up!) while I cook dinner.
    So my second sink is really the clean-up and dishes sink, while my main sink is the food prep and pots-and-pans sink.

Your area to the left of the refrigerator could be used the same way - convenience foods, silverware, bread drawer, everyday dishes, even a second dishwasher - all of the things you don't need for serious cooking. Maybe that's exactly what you had in mind when you called it the "snack area"? Your disadvantage is that it is on the opposite side of the kitchen from the dining table. Mine is right next to it.

I guess you can say I divided my kitchen into "eating and cleanup" and "cooking" instead of several cooking zones.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

My kitchen is split...sort of a wide galley. I put a sink on the cooktop side and planned on it being a prep sink but it is actually used more than the clean-up sink. I am glad I got a nice sized one!

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

My second sink is 30" and on the dining room side. Kitchen is an island galley, with cabs on both sides of island/island open to dining room. We use this sink for washing up and dishes. The dw is next to it.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

*sigh*

I wish we had the space to put in another large sink, but ours isn't too small. It is 18" round, and it fits my big pots, the colander, and I can wash up dishes when someone else is at the clean-up sink or it is full of...stuff. And I love that it is copper.

If I were to ever have another kitchen (uh-huh, keep dreaming) I would want a large secondary sink--oh and a larger kitchen...with a big island...with a marble top...an amazing ceiling like eliz and doonie...need I go on?

• zelmar
    13 years ago

"Having a separate prep sink also allows you to separate the Cleanup Zone from the Prep & Cooking Zones...a much more functional setup."

I really like having our whole kitchen be the clean up zone.

Large sink: located in the prep/cook zone near the range. The large sink allows me to rinse out pots and large bowls while I'm cooking so that I can reuse them to minimize the final clean up. I can also have a pan of sudsy water in the sink so that I can drop items I want to hand wash into it. When I'm waiting for something on the stove, I can get a head start on clean up.

Small sink with dw: located outside of the cooking zone. Someone can start clean up by loading dirty prep items or can use it for helping with prep (usually I want help cooking before dinner and help with clean up after dinner.) Or, as I mentioned above, the small sink can be used with the baking area.

But the best thing about the sink and dw locations is that clean up can be very efficient with enough helpers.. I can be at the main sink washing pots and pans, large bowls and cookie sheets, wooden and plastic items. Dd can be loading the dw at the small sink (close to table and prep area.) Dh can be putting leftovers away (leftover dishes close to table and fridge.) Usually, it's just me. But I love the potential.

The inside dimensions of our prep sink are 13" wide by 18" front to back by 10" deep. I've never wished for anything larger, even when it was our only sink. But that's probably because our main sink is near the range where the large items are washed--no need to carry large pots across the kitchen to the clean up sink.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

LOL, Zelmar...that's what I've been trying to get away from! Usually, I'm in a hurry making dinner, etc. b/c I just got home from work and it's late. So...cleanup is the one thing that can wait until later (or even dishes until the next day)! I do often put the used/dirty pots, etc. at the cleanup sink...and it's nice not to have them in the way as I continue to prepare a meal.

I cook, DH cleans up. DS & DD help if homework and practices permit (homework is huge, though...they get a lot!) (They always help on weekends...they switch off helping cooking & helping clean up.)

Here are a couple of pics showing how our kitchen works with zones...it's wonderfully functional!!! I love it!!! (I told my DH that if we ever move, the kitchen goes with us!)

I had sixteen 13-year old girl scouts work in this kitchen...twice! The parents were all amazed at how well it worked for that many! No, I don't often have that many working at one time, but it provides plenty of space for two or more of us to be doing our own thing w/o getting in each others way!

• eks6426
    13 years ago

I have a prep sink in a very small kitchen with no island. Prep sink is at the end of the counter run that also contains the main sink. It totally defies the logic for being there. When the granite was put in, the granite guys screwed up and cut a hole too big for my prep sink. The only options were go pick out granite again which was not an options because it took me multiple trips to find the granite I had or get a larger prep sink (paid for by granite company). I went with the larger prep sink. In the end, I'm thrilled the granite guys goofed. The larger prep sink is very useful. It's big enough for draining pasta, holds my largest colander

Original Prep sink size: 14"L x 15-3/4"W
    Large Prep sink due to granite issue: 17-7/8"L x 17-7/8"W