Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kateskouros

for all the marble subway haters

kateskouros
12 years ago

seeing this kitchen reminded me how much i like marble subways. i must admit i was beginning to follow the trend and think otherwise, but no. i don't care what you think.

Here is a link that might be useful: marble subways rock. if you don't like them, so what?

Comments (31)

• mamadadapaige
    12 years ago

WOW! absolutely gorgeous. love the black paint in combo wit the other stuff going on.

• lala girl
    12 years ago

Oh, I love that kitchen! I love the black windows, the light fixture, and those cabinets with the metal detailing are stunning. It is a really interesting but still quite classic space. (BTW, I must have missed all those threads, not sure what there is to hate about marble subway tile...?) Thanks for sharing.

• young-gardener
    12 years ago

oh, wow!

• anne7
    12 years ago

Agreed. It's classic for a reason. Of course the 15K SZ and Italo-whatever range don't hurt. Much.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

What about brass haters :)

That kitchen is on crack, I would like the way it looked with Pink Daltile subways.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Don't like. How can something be "classic" if it didn't even exist until 10 years ago?

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Oooooohhhhhhhhhhh Kate,
    I have to laugh out loud, I was fixin for a fight.
    Thinking what happend to Katie? I thought she loved
    marble like me.
    : )

Love that kitchen thanks for sharing. A classic beauty
    that reminds me that Marble is great.
    ~boxer

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

So Kate, did that picture convince you to go with marble subways? Or are you still trying to decide?

• thepaintedlady_gw
    12 years ago

I think marble subway tile is nice enough - though these seem kinda busy for me. My fear with marble subway is that it will be the black granite / stainless / maple of the 00s and or the harvest gold and green of the 70s.

Few things are as timeless as shaker furniture.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Ugh. I'd rather have the most tedious edition of the OTK than that.

• shanghaimom
    12 years ago

Love the shiny black paint on the trim and windows. Love the cool minimalist island. I *sometimes* like marble subways and like the full wall treatment in this kitchen. The chevron behind-the-range detail is overkill for me, though. And even though I am a brass lover and used it all over my kitchen, that hood made me wince. Wowza.

• MIssyV
    12 years ago

drool-ish-es!

• jtkaybean
    12 years ago

I like the marble subway tiles too. :-)
    Not a fan of that monster of a hood though!

• nini804
    12 years ago

That is a really cool and different kitchen! The marble subways are gorgeous...perhaps a tad busy for me when laid in the herringbone pattern, but lovely nonetheless. For the poster who said they would be like the black granite, stainless, maple of the 00s...I don't see how on earth that could happen. For designs to become "dated", I think they first need to be widely used. There is no way those calacatta tiles will ever be builder grade and used by the masses.

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Marble lover, br*ss hater.

• thepaintedlady_gw
    12 years ago

I don't see how on earth that could happen. For designs to become "dated", I think they first need to be widely used.

At the midrange - I disagree. This look (above) has been around for at least 10 years at the really high end and has been trickling down toward the "less high end" and "higher middle range" in my area.

So maybe it will lack the ubiquitousness of less expensive items because of its inherent cost - but in certain markets I think it will reach saturation point, eventually.

• athensmomof3
    12 years ago

Brass is definitely back in the uber high end kitchens. I am not using brass in my kitchen but am using unlacquered brass on hinges and knobs throughout the house. It is beautiful, beautiful, beautiful :) Doesn't have the shiny glaring brass of my current spec house lacquered brass - it is soft and old looking already and we aren't even in the house yet :)

• katieob
    12 years ago

Kate~ Are you in ????? Pics ???

I LOVE that kitchen. It makes me wonder~Can you do just the sink window in glossy black if the other windows in the house have white trim? I'd love to.....

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

This look (above) has been around for at least 10 years at the really high end and has been trickling down toward the "less high end" and "higher middle range" in my area.

Right. And even if 70% of the American population never uses this combo, it's seen more and more in magazines and blogs. So for those of us who look at a lot of kitchen or other design articles, it will be more of a visual fatigue phenomenon than something widely used getting dated, a la the infamous builder-grade oak cabinets.

Calacatta marble tiles will never be as ubiquitous, but I do think the herringbone pattern over the range will be associated with a certain era of kitchen design. "Dated"? Well, what won't be, eventually?

• User
    12 years ago

Obviously a super-expensive kitchen (paid for most likely by DH or parents?) but I do think it is very nice and would take it over my own kitchen in a heartbeat ;-). I also have a hard time imagining that marble of that quality will become "builder grade" and ubiquitous. Add that to the fact that most in my circle that can afford marble are too scared to buy it because they are afraid of the 'Patina'. I love 'patina' personally. And honestly, so what if this look "didn't exist" before now? New inventions, scientific discoveries, artistic styles, etc are born all the time!

• mudhouse_gw
    12 years ago

I don't hate brass, but that hood scares me.

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

I love brass and still think that hood is awful. Love those black windows, OTOH.

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

Love the transoms!

I don't know why folks would want to make a large echoing space even more so with cold stone and white cabinetry -- but apparently this kitchen is in the South, so it won't curl toes with chill as much as it would elsewhere. This kitchen would be a mausoleum up here in the North.

• kateskouros
    Original Author
    12 years ago

hi katie, unfortunately we are not in. it seems our GC stole our money. but we are not alone as i have learned half the town is looking for him. he sends one worker every day (i know, i should be counting my lucky stars) but none of the subs will come back to the job. but i don't want to talk about it. i'm just hoping there is a special place in hell for contractors.

i am however looking forward to the day i get to post my finally finished, white, "tedious edition of the OTK." i know i shouldn't take comments like this personally but it's getting old, folks.

• mmhmmgood
    12 years ago

Love marble, generally indifferent to subways (closer to a like when they're marble though!) , definitely dislike ginormous brass hoods.
    But a nice kitchen in spite of the hood. I wouldn't complain if I were forced to be in such a space!

• annachosaknj6b
    12 years ago

Kate, your kitchen is anything but tedious. It's stunning and one of my all-time favorites.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

Yes, I didn't mean that all white kitchens are tedious--I'm a white kitchen person myself. I meant that I'd prefer even the most boring and uninteresting white kitchen to that, and I still mean it. The stress of living in the midst of all that mad striving to be clever would drive me over the edge.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Very striking, but it feels more like a stage set than an actual kitchen...but I'm still in love with Marcolo's white and turquoise kitchen, from the last design exercise :)

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I think it's pretty, but when I look at that kitchen, all I can think of is how hard it would be to keep that floor looking clean. It's so dark that it would show every speck of dust!

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

kateskouros, I am so sorry that your GC stole your money. Is there anyway to share his name or company or email me it since I also live in NJ and want to make sure I avoid him. I hope there is a special place in hell for contractors and evil brothers like mine who is a contractor himself and can't even help me with my floors or kitchen since he is a selfish person. I did so much free work for him and he can't even put the tile in the utility room for me since the floor was damaged in 2008! He stopped by tonight since he was in the area but then again told me he had no time since he spent hours at Campmor and did not want to be late for his sister-in-laws dinner. He is a contractor and his job is floors so the 5" X 9" tiny utility room with the stick on tiles I bought should be easy for him! I am beginning to think most contractors are terrible except a few good ones.

We are ALL looking forward to the day you get to post your finally finished, white, "tedious edition of the OTK." I know it is going to be beautiful from the pictures that you already posted.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think that kitchen is nice, but that hood is tacky. You can like brass and not like that in such a large way. It looks like what a pimp would put in their kitchen.....