Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbarstow_gw

Software that helps to design tile configuration

mbarstow
15 years ago

We have settled on our cabinets,(Decora) the design for the new layout, the floor and appliances. Pretty sure of the type of granite too. Now, for the backsplash! I have spent countless hours online and in several stores and am overwhelmed by the thousand of choices and combinations you could come up with. Does anyone know of a software program that would allow me to "visually" esperiment with the design and colors I want. Tile stores just don't allow for "playing" with various tiles to experiment.

Comments (11)

• dd70
    15 years ago

bumping for you..I would love find out about this too.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

This might sound dumb but I had this idea from something another poster did. This would only work if you were thinking of larger 4x4 or bigger type tile. Cut out papers/tag board in the size tiles you want. Color as close as you can come to the combinations you want. Tape them up on a display board or use double stick tape to see how they'd look vertically on your backsplash. Might be alot fo work but might be worth it.

• mbarstow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm a quilter, so cutting pieces of fabric (instead of paper) did occur to me and then lay them out to the desired design. However, a software program would be soooo much easier and less time consuming.

• crazyhouse6
    15 years ago

I'm having the same problem with my floor tile design for our bathroom (and will be in the same boat as you with the backsplash soon). I would like to see how the different sized tiles will fit the space without it taking forever to put together. What does everyone else do?

Thanks!

• clg7067
    15 years ago

Have you looked at this? It's a free download.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tile Gem

• fabian_sd
    15 years ago

I used Excel to layout my tile backsplash behind my stove. I downloaded a graph paper template from the Microsoft Office website and assumed the grid was 1 inch square. I then outlined the tile and even added color and pattern to mimic my tile. It's not great for visualizing what it's really going to look like but it worked great for the layout. I added a legend and gave it to my installer since the plan from the tile store wasn't very clear. This probably wouldn't work with diagonal patterns.

• mbarstow
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Fabian, I use EXCEL everyday at work! I never thought of that-what a fabulous idea. I will definitely give it a try.
    Clg -thanks for the suggestion about Tile Gem and
    Paige - your backsplash is exactly what hubby would like to do, but I'm a "color" person and must work it in somehow, even if it's subtle.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

mbarstow,
    funny... I am a color person too and imagined lots of vavoom for my backsplash. What we have is what dh wanted. you win some , you lose some.

• Rob_Sic
    10 years ago

Fabian,

I wanted to let you know how brilliant and helpful your suggestion about the EXCEL template was for me. I logged in just to let you know. I use MS word templates all of the time but EXCEL never occurred to me. I can't tell you how many time I wanted exactly this. That you so much.
    Even though you posted this years ago I wanted to thank you know that I am seeing it.

Ciao,

• gwlolo
    10 years ago

Sometimes just seeing withing the screen real estate is not enough. See what Oldbat did. She printed it out and actually mocked up the backsplash. Really fabulous backsplash but even smarter idea to mockup IRL

Here is a link that might be useful: A couple ink cartridges and a new tile sample later

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!