Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Just curious, did your granite fabricator give you the cutouts?

TxMarti
11 years ago

From the sink and stovetop? Mine didn't. I paid for square footage used, not the whole slab. I would have liked to have had the cutouts though. I called them not long after the counters were finished and asked about getting a 12"x20" piece for another cabinet, and the lady quoted me the same price per foot I paid for the counters, which made it almost $300. Not worth it to us so we went with something else. I figure she didn't want to mess with us after I insisted they come out and template.

Comments (20)

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

It may be a regional thing. Here in So Cal slabs are usually sold full only. You pay for the whole slab, and pay the fabrication price on the installed sq. ft. , plus lin. ft. of edge detail. Any left over material is yours to keep.

• joyce_6333
    11 years ago

We dug ours out of the dumpster. If we used them for anything else, we'd have to pay for someone to finish the edges, so may not be worth it. But they are sitting in the garage, just in case we want to use them.

• pharaoh
    11 years ago

ctycdm is correct. our slabs purchase was separate from our fabrication. We kept all the extras. Connemara is a semiprecious stone, each sq ft is expensive:)

Now I need to find a way to use it...

• poohpup
    11 years ago

I didn't get mine. Like you, we paid for what we used. I wouldn't have wanted them though. Super heavy and the real cost is in the fabrication so finish the edges. I don't know what I would have done with them.

• debrak_2008
    11 years ago

We did not get the cut out for the sink which was our only one. I don't know what I would do with it if I did have it.

On a side note. Don't forget to pull the protective plastic off the front of your ge spacesaver. I just moved our spacesaver into the kitchen from our temp kitchen in the dining room. Since the lighting in the kitchen is much better than the dining, I just noticed the plastic film and pull it off. I've had this more than 6 months, lol.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks debrak, the film is still on mine. I thought we'd probably move it in and out one more time and I was leaving the film to protect it a little.

I don't know what I'd do with the pieces either, just would have been nice to have one of them to do that top.

• fishymom
    11 years ago

My fabricator made me several trivets with the sink cutout and another leftover piece.

• BerlinGirl
    11 years ago

Yes, I have both. One finished and one not. The finished one was the Blue Austral (laborite) that was "gifted" a few days after the install. I had not had a "real" bedside table for 8 years. I'd used a wrought Iron stand and wished often I could find a suitable top for it. I could not believe my eyes when my fabricator walked through my door with it. It fits my nightstand perfectly and I LOVE It. The other is from the dark green Costa Esmeralda and I have half of it enchanced to see how it changed the color and the other half natural. That's why I have it...they also gave me the material to enhance/seal it should I want to do that down the road. Don't want to at this time, but you never know what I might want to do down the road.

I've taken a picture of my nightstand cutout. Throughly happy with my granite!

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Also in S.CA and we paid for square footage used. I think the difference is that we used a one-stop-shop rather than buy it at A and have it fabricated at B. We didn't get the cut-out, but I suspect if we'd asked, they would have given it to us. They don't really have a use for them other than breaking them up to give out as take-home samples for the remaining slabs.

In my last woodworking class, a woman went to a local granite place and gave her a scrap piece for the night table she built. At the time I had no idea about granite fabrication, but I think now that they must have finished the edges for her.

FYI - I think it's standard to not come out and template for small pieces, and 12 x 20 is pretty small.

• Ilene Perl
    11 years ago

I also paid for the granite used. My fabricator gave me a "gift" of one square hot plate made from the one of the cut outs.

• Cloud Swift
    11 years ago

We sent our sink cut outs to Columbia Gorge Stoneworks where they were used to make wall plates to match our backsplash. The rangetop cut out is in the garage along with a bit of other remnants from our slab. We may use it someday to redo the powder room vanity.

Other remnants were used for the fireplace surround when we redid our family room.

• Donaleen Kohn
    11 years ago

we got all the leftovers from our slab... they cut them into pieces that my dh is going to use to make outdoor table tops

• mxgmom
    11 years ago

Madeine616 - where did you source your Danby slab and which fabricator? Sounds like a great situation.

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi mxgmom,

I live in Southern Louisiana, but I'm from the Northeast, that's why I knew about/wanted Danby. My fabricator is local to me, and the slabs were from North Lousiana.

Please feel free to email me, I"m happy to share all the details!

• Madeline616
    11 years ago

Hi Mgxmom,

I tried replying to yur email, but got a send failure. Hopefully, you'll check the thread again. Here's my response below:

I drove a few hours to check out my slabs in person. They don't photograph well, and I'm glad I made the trip, because they're really gorgeous in person as the salesperson had promised.

There are things (like pits and cracks) that won't show up in pics, so unless you really trust the stone yard, I'd go in person. I looked at a number of slabs, some in pics and some in person, and my fabricator drove 2.5 hours to a stone yard to check out some slabs and make sure they were top quality. He was a totally objective party, and I was grateful that he helped me in my selection. For that reason, I'd suggest finding an excellent fabricator and getting slabs wherever you find the most beautiful ones.

Good luck--Danby is wonderful marble!! Feel free to email with any questions, and I look fwd to seeing your pics.

Best,
    Madeline

• colorfast
    11 years ago

I asked my fabricator to give me a small piece (4x4 to 6x6 square) to take when shopping flooring, backsplash, paint. I He willingly brought it; it had come from my sink cutout. It has been great! Even at 6x6, with 3 inches thick, it is kinda heavy. I would NOT recommend any larger.

Not all fabricators have room to store your larger remnants. I had three great bids for our granite from reputable fabricators. The one I selected agreed to keep my granite remnant for 6 months free of charge. Then he would take ownership of it and use it on another job. The others could only keep it a week to 10 days before they would do the same. I did ultimately go with the one who kept my granite and six months later we decided to use it for the upstairs bath. Well worth it.

• mrspete
    11 years ago

I remember -- years ago; it was pre-granite countertops -- seeing Corian cutting boards at the Southern Christmas Show (or maybe it was the Southern Spring Show, and we realized that the fabricators had kept the cut-outs from kitchen sinks, honed down the edges, popped in a circle for a hand-hold . . . and they were selling them for a pretty good price. Brilliant use of "garbage".

Personally, I can think of a number of things I could do with the cut-out from a sink (especially if it's a large sink). Tabletops are a natural choice, but I wouldn't mind having a circular cut-out that could go on top of a Lazy Susan in the middle of my breakfast table. Coasters. Trivets. I can see that you might need to pay to have it cut down into whatever you want.

You've paid for your granite, and it should be yours.
    Has anyone ever asked for it and been turned down?

• mudworm
    11 years ago

Thanks for the thread because I was not thinking about asking for leftovers until I read this thread. Good timing too because we just template'd a granite slab for my small bar tops. When I asked if I could get some trivets out of the leftovers, the installer said, "of course!" We'll end up having trivets of 8", 10", and 12" (can also be turned into lazy susans), as well as a 12x18" cutting board.

• mudworm
    11 years ago

Oh BTW, I just received the invoice and the extra pieces are not cheap! I'll probably use every single piece of them. Or, even if not, I'm sure I'll enjoy staring at them because I love the stone. :)

Thought I should just post to remind people to ask about the cost so you don't get an invoice shock after work is done.