Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa616_gw

Granite is installed! Backsplash ideas?

lisa616
12 years ago

Whew...granite is in and thankfully, I LOVE it!! Now, onto backsplash. I'd love and welcome any and all suggestions. I'm thinking very simple. Nothing to compete with granite and maybe something a tad different over stove. any suggestion?

Thinking something like this?? Too dark?

Comments (17)

• dodge59
    12 years ago

Yeah, same granite, it wont compete.

Strange, when I visit homes that have granite, most all of them have granite backsplashes, and I see many of them on TV too, HGTV, DIY, etc etc, but we rarely see them here, Cept for mine.

I asked my wife, why is that?--She says a lotta tile and grout salemen hanging around this web-site.
    Maybe so, I'm a grout hater after having a kitchen with white tile and grout for all my life, cept the last 5.

We still have white tile and grout in main shower. None of the grout has been a problem, even to clean, but "To Me" it's freakin ugly! Nice smooth granite surfaces You have there, then you add busticated surfaces + grout ??? I just don't get it or like it, --but that's just me.

I just wanted to give you a "Different Perspective" on backsplashes, course You do what pleases you.

I love the ease of cleaning my backsplash and not having to stand directly over the granite to enjoy it.

Good luck with you decision!!

Gary (leaves to put on "Flack Jacket and flame retardant gear.)

• joaniepoanie
    12 years ago

Lisa...looks lovely.....what granite is this and what is the edge? Most people do tile BS because granite BS is a lot more expensive. I would use the same creamy tones in your flooring to balance things out, maybe with some caramel and/ or gray accents to tie in the counter and cabs.

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Joanie! The granite is titanium. I love it...it was the only slab that had the brown running through the black to help tie my cabinets in. I'm thinking very simple backsplash. 4x4's or subway. I don' really want to go too light as I'm not a big fan of the contrast. I am trying to think of how it could blend easily. Black is probably too dark. Especially at night. Ugh. I need help!

• Cloud Swift
    12 years ago

Are you cabinets cherry or something else? If cherry, it will darken and that should be taken into account when choosing a back splash.

I see a light brown or dark cream color in the granite on your island. Perhaps a tile in that color to go light yet still tie in with your granite and not be a stark contrast. Or a grey to tie into the gray's in your granite.

Do you have a small remnant of the granite that you can take with you to tile stores? If you take that and a door from your cabinets, it will be easier to choose something that compliments them.

Gary/Dodge, we love our granite backsplash (my DH hates grout, perhaps scared by our years of living with wide yucky gray brown grout in our old kitchen, I've heard that the epoxy grout is much better), but with the OP's dark granite, it would probably be too much dark. And doing one is best planned when the granite is bought so it can be templated from the same slabs as the counters. It would be kind of late to do it after the granite is in.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I think you should go to the tile store, look at tons of different looks. Glass, ceramic, metal, stone. Find several you like to start with. Bring them home, and put them up on the counter, leaning on the wall. See what in general pops out at you. I think you might like a glass tile to help reflect the light. But until you see them in your space you won't know. Go get those sample boards!

And as far as behind the range, maybe just alter whatever pattern you do but keep the tile the same. For example if you used a subway tile shape, then you could use that same tile in a herringbone pattern behind the range. Something like that.

Get out there and get some samples and post them....always lots of opinions here!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Since you said you are not a fan of contrast... I agree with keeping whatever tile you choose the same over the range but changing the size/pattern. You have to decide if you want to blend to the backsplash to the cabinets (beautiful BTW) which are both vertical surfaces or the countertop. There will be a contrast to one or the other. Given what you told us, I'd choose a tile similar in tone to the cabinets. Something that would pick up the rich caramel tones in your pretty granite. Now I would choose glass because I love glass backsplashes. But ceramic or stone could work too.

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you all! I'm hitting the tile stores today and actually glass is on my radar!
    Cloud-my cabinets are maple. They've been in the kitchen for about 7 years already and I still love them. I really like the idea of a caramel color. I like warm colors...maybe even a warm taupe or grey. I'll post pictures for more advice! thank you!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I am sure you will find some fantastic ideas on your search
    today. But just in case you need a few more ideas to
    inspire you or even just add to your creative juices,
    Here are some that came to mind when I saw your BEAUTIFUL
    kitchen. You must be so excited, the granite looks
    stunning with the cabinetry.
    ~bp

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you BP! I've definitely made progress. I am loving glass subway tile. Now, just need to pick a color. I've narrowed it down to a taupe color, a light grey or a very light brown. Samples are tricky...can't find stores that have in stock, so I only have these teeny tiny squares to see!

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, narrowed down to these 2 colors. Would LOVE some input from all you peeps that have such amazing taste!!! I'm doing all 3x6 subway..either beach or smoke from interceramic shimmer.

This is my floor..

• decordummy_gw
    12 years ago

I'm no design whiz (note the screen name) but maybe I can offer my opinion? Usually I go for all things light, but I like the darker tile for your kitchen. Both are beautiful and either would go well, but I'm liking the one with the least contrast to the granite (your granite is gorgeous by the way). The grey tile also seems to let the brown bits in the granite tie in to the cabinets better. If you wanted something slightly different over the stove (without too much contrast) you could do stainless steel tiles (just over the stove) in the exact same size as the grey tiles (it would tie in with the appliances & hardware).

• 1929Spanish
    12 years ago

Your kitchen looks great. I think the black counter/brown cabinet/stainless appliances make the white range stand out. A dark backsplash will make it stand out even more. Since you're not a fan of contrast I would think about that, unless it's the look you're going for.

I would look at the samples next to the range, counters and cabinets to make sure you like the overall effect.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

oooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhh love the glass tile idea.
    I vote light. Keep in mind grout colors too.
    Light is really going to make your stone stand out.
    ~bp

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I vote for the lighter...good luck, your kitchen is already beautiful and will be even more beautiful with whichever one you choose!

• ellendi
    12 years ago

I vote light, but you seem to want to go darker. If darker is how you are seeing your kitchen, then go for it!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

If those are samples you can keep, slap some white thinset on the back and hold them up to your wall to get a better feel as to color. It changes it. If I had to choose between the two colors, I pick lighter. Though...I was thinking a color more like this would look great too:
    {{!gwi}}

• lisa616
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm going to play it safe and go lighter. I appreciate everyone's advice! That darker one is pretty....but so hard to tell what it would look like in the entire kitchen. The light one...I can't go wrong. No clue how to pick grout. do you match the tile?