Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
czecheart

painted cabinets life expectancy 5 years?

czecheart
11 years ago

If you had your custom cabinets painted , how do they compare in durability and looks from factory finish? Did the cabinetmaker finish them, did you hire a painter or some other avenue? Did you put any special coating over the paint? I was just reading an article suggesting not to go with painted cabinets when they are custom built. The article said it is the finish that makes or breaks the cabinet, he says that painted custom cabinets life expectancy is five years! The article had an example photo with cabinets that were not yet five years old. Due to painting they showed chipping, peeling and lots of wear. Has this been your experience? Gee, I've had my stained cabinets for over 20 years, they really still look acceptable. Please help, I'm talking to a a cabinet/furniture/carpenter guy now regarding him making my cabinets. I know he'll do a beautiful job. He would be willing to stain them white, but not able/willing to paint them. I would have to find someone else to finish them, if I want them painted.

Thanks

Comments (3)