Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kala_n

Online Cabinets

kala_n
9 years ago

What websites have you used for ordering cabinets online? looking to buy a few cabinets for an island - thanks

Comments (18)

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I just used Scherr's. I like Barker's, too.

• neitsdelf
    9 years ago

I used Barker's--Loved being able to customize widths and heights to the 1/4 inch (and depths to the inch)!

• joygreenwald
    9 years ago

Another Barker cabinet person here.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

Barker here too...awesome, high quality cabinets and hardware!

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

delete post

This post was edited by gabytx12 on Wed, Dec 17, 14 at 11:55

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

I would never pay 8K for import RTA cabinets, unless they were Ikea.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

GreenDesigns...I have seen your comments on other postings. I love how all you "green" people try to shove the "green thing" down everyone's throat.
    Just live it, don't preach about it.

....and if you are trying to stay away from products made in China...good luck!! LOL!!

...and concerning IKEA products: Although IKEA household products and furniture are designed in Sweden, they are largely manufactured in developing countries to keep costs down. China accounts for about 2ý times as much supply as Sweden.

Why don't you give a real suggestion to kala_n instead of making a unnecessary/unhelpful comment.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

No matter what company you order from you are employing Americans. All the RTA companies have people that work for them in the USA....KD's, Customer service, web design, shipping...so if you DO order from one of these you are EMPLOYING Americans.

I am not sure why Americans have such a simplistic view of what "made in the USA" is.

where do you think the screws, machines, and other parts that are used to make "made in the USA" cabinets are manufactured?

Besides, this post was about buying on-line not "made in the USA"

We ordered from THERTAStore.com.
    They advertise on DIY network, if you want to check them out we have been happy with the quality and price.
    The only one I CAN speak for is
    : TheRTAStore.com

...several of the RTA companies have similarly named websites...some with very bad reviews. so you do need to be careful.

good luck!

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

If I had to buy online, it would be one of the American places already listed. Scherrs or Barkers. Or Ikea. Ikea is head and shoulders above most import lines. Blum hardware and low VOC box materials that satisfy the stricter Euro regulations.

But, I wouldn't limit myself to "online". The best deals aren't online. They are at your local cabinet dealer. Go there in person.

As far as the imports, well, I've been approached by most of the import guys wanting me to carry their stuff. I haven't found any yet that didn't have voids in the plywood, or didn't have low quality hardware, or that had an acceptable finish to it. Even my low dollar Aristokraft cabinets---made in Indiana---have a better quality finish on them than 95% of the import lines that I've deconstructed. And they don't reek of chemicals. They also come already assembled, and cost about the same as most import RTA lines, with a 21 day lead time.

• Iowacommute
    9 years ago

Gabytx12 way to have such a simplistic view of Americans.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

Just FYI, my GC is very impressed with the quality of our cabinets, came with Blum hardware and a low VOC box material rating, no voids in the plywood, no smell ...

Look around, ask a bunch of questions before you buy.

• dcward89
    9 years ago

For the sake of clarity, all Barker hardware is also made in the USA. I wanted nothing to do with cabinets from China...flame me for this, I really don't care, but there have been too many stories of things from China that are substandard, even dangerous, and we don't find out until your house has to have all the drywall removed or your dog dies...no thank you. I know it's very difficult to completely avoid items made in China in all aspects of your life, but where possible, I do.

• gabytx12
    9 years ago

I totally understand if you have had a bad experience, but I am just sharing MY experience thus far. This is what this post is asking about, asking a questions and I am simply sharing my experience.

We have the luxury and convenience of choice in this country, my posting was simply to answer the question asked on the thread and share my experience.

If this post would have said, only American made, I would have not made any comment, for I believe that out of respect for all posters I do not answer or comment unless I have something constructive to say.

I don't know any of you and you don't know me, but I should be able to share my experience without judgment and ridicule. I did my research and I felt I had something valuable to contribute to kala_n question.

After all, that is what this site is for.

kala_n sorry for high jacking your post! Hope you find what you are looking for.

• jdesign_gw
    9 years ago

Just for the record Ikea kitchen cabinets are made in Ohio. That said I have a closet full of cloths from my favorite designer "John Varvatos" that I buy at Bloomingdales. The label says made in China. Chinese products can be all over the place in terms of quality. When there is a big European or American company behind it then the standards can be high. I also bring in containers of French Oak flooring from there and the quality and price can't be match here but I know who i'm dealing with. There can also be some real crap that can kill your dog you just have to know the difference.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

The RTA no-name----changes names---no real company structure behind them import crap is exactly that. Crap. I can't count the number of importers that ''American'' online ''major advertisers'' have been through. 2 years later, and they've changed suppliers---again. Nothing matches any of their older suppliers either.

I needed an inexpensive vanity for a local neighbor's project. Price was the major concern, not so much quality. Would have been $500 from a local supplier of import cabinets, and they were out of toekick trim. Would have had to wait 10 days for it to get across the ocean. I waited another 15 days and had an all American made, already assembled piece brought in from exotic Virginia. American Woodmark for $550. No brainer.

I agree to check out your local retailers. Not everything is able to be purchased online.

• A Doc27
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

@gabytx12 Just found this thread and had looked at theRTAstore for a upcoming project. After 3+ yrs how are they holding up? Are you still happy with the purchase & quality for the price point? TIA

• Susan
    5 years ago

We are planning on buying from cabinets.com They're also American-made, quality cabinets, no China here.