Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
1929spanish

OT - Cooking Question

1929Spanish
11 years ago

One of my current favorite cookbooks (The Foods &Flavors of Haute Provence) by Georgeanne Brennan has a recipe for lamb shanks and white bean gratin. I'm a pretty good cook, and have been successful with her recipes right out of the book. However, the first time I made this one, it sucked.

Not being someone who gives up easily, I want to try it again. I think the beans were the problem last time. The recipe has you start off with dry beans simmering for a couple hours. I doesn't suggest soaking them first.

Do you ever cook with dry beans before soaking them?

This post was edited by 1929Spanish on Sun, Dec 9, 12 at 19:30

Comments (15)

• springroz
    11 years ago

They take FOREVER if I don't soak them overnight! Even the " quick soak"
    has not been very successful!

LOVE lamb shanks!!

Nancy

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Nancy. I thought it was strange this step was left out. Im going to try soaking them first.

• User
    11 years ago

I do the quick soak and have never had a problem. It is really dependent on having very fresh dry beans...if that makes sense. The older they are the more likely that no amount of soaking will improve them. I love lamb shanks too! please post a KAW pic of the dish :) c

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    11 years ago

Mark Bittman of the NY Times, in "How to Cook Everything" says bring them to a boil, then leave them for two hours, and then proceed with your recipe. He claims the two hours soak after boiling as just as good as overnight soaking - and I've had great success with the method.

It's entirely possible as trailrunner says, that the beans are too old. Sometimes no amount of cooking with get them to soften up.

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The beans might have been too old. I think they were there before we moved out during construction. I'm going to try new beans and a quick soak.

This recipe takes time, but a lot of it is hands-off, making it the perfect dinner for our "East Coast New Years" Party. By "East Coast" I mean "you're free to leave before midnight". ;p

I'm going to work it up tomorrow since the Mr isn't home for dinner tonight.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Just catching up, but I have a suggestion. I also use the quick soak, but there is another potential issue: the hardness of your water. Way back when, I used faucet water to cook beans and they were crunchy to the end. Somewhere I ran across the hard water question, which was a possibility as our tap water is quite hard. Now I use bottled water to cook beans (another reason I don't soak overnight and drain). It doesn't have to be distilled water, just regular bottled water for drinking. Worth a try.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

Salt in the water can keep beans from softening, too. We had a water softener where we used to live, and if I'm remembering right, beans were a lot trickier to cook there than they are here. If the recipe calls for salt, wait until the beans are soft before putting it in.

Hope the next time will go better for you. We'll be butchering our lambs soon, and then I'm going to need recipes for how to cook them, since I've never cooked lamb.

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow these are all good ideas. Unfortunately I'm on a business trip right now and the aforementioned lamb shanks landed in the freezer for another day. We have soft water, but I use filtered for cooking.

I get home Friday and host a dinner party on Saturday, but I'm not going to try this again. First time I tried this one was for my mom and it sucked!

Thanks for asking and I promise to check back in.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

God, I hate beans.
    Just in case you wondered.

• 1929Spanish
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@CF. I used to as well. Now I cook with them often, but I cheat and used canned. I currently hate dry beans.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I can eat them if you mush them into hummus. Mushrooms, too. But the texture is abhorrent to me.

You are a brave soul to keep trying.
    Good luck with this interesting dish.

• mateo21
    11 years ago

I think it might help to specify what was exactly wrong the first time. And the second time, what was wrong with the beans? Texture? Flavor?

• deedles
    11 years ago

I once cooked old beans for 4 days in a crock pot. No luck. Old beans are good for compost.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I can eat them if you mush them into hummus. Mushrooms, too. But the texture is abhorrent to me.

You are a brave soul to keep trying.
    Good luck with this interesting dish.

• rosylady
    11 years ago

I never soak my beans anymore because I buy them bulk from a really popular market and they are really fresh.

After years of cooking beans I have finally accepted that they have a better texture if cooked in the crock pot. I desperately want them to be better in Le Creuset, but they're not. I can cook them all day in the crock pot and they are creamy and beautiful, never overcooked.

I second what laughable said about salt. Don't add it until the end. This is particularly true with older beans.

Unlike CEFreeman, I adore beans.

I like Reese's Peanut Butter cups too...