Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aries61

Granite 12 to 15 in overhang support - Most cost effective way

aries61
9 years ago

Doing a 54" peninsula with a 12 to 15" overhang off the back and wondering what's the best and most cost effective way of doing the support. I know that it can be done with hidden supports, corbels and with decorative legs.

What would you recommend.

The attached picture shows the peninsula which is anchored off the one wall.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• User
    9 years ago

Ugly corbels are the cheapest. Pretty corbels can be the most expensive. In between are steel and doing a post with stretcher bars. So much depends on the skill of the installer that you will be using that it would be best to discuss this with him during the design phase. Also remember that the back of cabinets are not load bearing and will need to be reinforced to be structural attachment points to carry weight.

• weedmeister
    9 years ago

and the cabinet needs to be firmly attached to the floor so it doesn't roll over.

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

Inexpensive corbels are the cheapest option but as noted above the cabinet structure much provide a sturdy mounting point.

Inset (i.e. buried in the underside of the stone) steel supports are nice because they can be made essentially invisible but they require a fabricator with the necessary expertise and also require adequate cabinet structure for support.

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

Depending on how much of the slab is supported by cabinets you may be able to do a 12" overhang without supports. There are fairly well established rules of thumb for how much unsupported overhang there can be. Typically if 2/3 of the slab is supported then 1/3 can be unsupported.
    In you case if you have a standard 24" base cabinet then you should be able to do up to 12" unsupported. anything more would require corbels or hidden steel supports.

There has been quite a bit of discussion here.

Here is a link that might be useful: island overhang

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

In our case we are doing a 12" unsupported overhang (I despise corbels) on 24" base cabinets on a 72" length. Our fabricator refused to use the steel hidden supports because our island cabs are painted MDF.

• User
    9 years ago

MIA professional standards are no more than 10'' unsupported. I won't do over 9'' because I have seen usupported overhangs crack. There are a lot of stones coming to market that didn't used to because they were too fragile to transport. Resining and netting at the quarry was developed to be able to ship them, but they aren't all strong enough to even have a 6'' overhang. All stones are not all suited to the same standards, and it's alwys better to err on the side of caution than have a damaged floor or injured pet.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I agree with lwo.

• aries61
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone for you comments.

HerrDoktorProfessor, thanks for the link. Some good ideas.

Was also thinking maybe about possible doing a wood counter on the peninsula and granite on the L. It was nice when I did the kitchen 22 years ago, there weren't that many choices that there are now..

• HerrDoktorProfessor
    9 years ago

If you want to avoid the ugliness of corbels see the link below.
    I really wanted to use these but out cabinet/countertop installer wouldn't warranty them. They would however, warranty an unsupported 12 inch overhang.

Go figure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hidden brackets