Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cefreeman_gw

Week 30: When you forget what day it is...

CEFreeman
9 years ago

...have you been doing too much, too long for the same reasons, with the same results? (Please, don't give me the insanity quote, because we already know it and it obviously doesn't mean squat.)

Sorry. I just didn't get it together today and forgot about our threads here.
Whacked out tire alignment has worn out 2 front tires I got in April, plus some bearing issues require replacing. Been preoccupied with funding that.

So in my both my work and home schedule, sometimes my head forgets what time or day it is, and if I actually accomplished something I thought I'd done.

Ever get in a funk like that?
I'm off to work. Everyone have a great week and get lots of little things done! :)

Comments (50)

• schicksal
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have been doing too much. Just like finals in college, soon as they're over is when I get sick.

So I'm still alive... Sick with something nasty, and on my phone when I should be de-catting the guest bedroom and bathroom because my parents will be here in 4 hours and one of them is allergic to cats.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Oh no!!!! Schick- I'm SOO sorry! What a horrid time to be hit with a nasty virus! Last year my kids entire Christmas break was spent with all 6 of us lounging around the living room, streaming{{gwi:807}} Netflix and passing around the sick bucket as we all battled a NASTY flu{{gwi:807}}!!

I hope your illness passes quickly!

The decking is almost completely on, this pic was taken mid afternoon, I didn't get a final end of day pic.
    {{gwi:2142090}}

We will be ordering the shingles on Monday, and I'm REALLY hoping they will be delivered rooftop. Last year, on the kitchen remodel, they were not. Let me tell you, carrying bundles of shingles up a ladder on your shoulder is excruciating!!

Those things weigh a TON!!!

As much as I want to get the roof done, I do NOT want to spend Christmas eve or Boxing Day roofing.

Here's hoping we can get shingling done on Monday and Tuesday and celebrate Christmas with a fully in the dry house!

I had to run errands today and on my way home, I took the long way to get a look at the view{{gwi:807}} from a distance.
    {{gwi:2142091}}

I have to say I'm quite surprised!! I mean, I know we are adding close to 1400 sq ft but street side, it looks like we are doubling the house!!

Christine- I hope you are able to get your vehicle fixed quickly and cheaply!! I can't imagine tires wearing out that quickly!! I hope you are able to scrounge together the funds to fix the alignment issue, it will save you so much in the long run!!

As to your question- YES!!! I can't count the number of times I've felt like a truck stuck in mud, spinning my wheels, trying desperately to escape/get ahead. It is only in hindsight that I realize all my "stuck in rut" work has actually paid off and all the "repetitive/feels like I've done it a million times" work has FINALLY shown its fruits.

This post was edited by Texas_Gem on Sun, Dec 21, 14 at 0:10

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

I do that on a regular basis. Just this past Thurs talking to the doc's office about my meds - the nurse said she'd call me back at the end of the day and if not she'd call first thing in the morning. My thinking was 'she works on Saturday'? well, my prev doc had called me on a Sat so I thought 'ok'. Then watching tv I noticed the day listed on the channel guide. It was Thurs, not Friday. I had originally called thinking it was Fri and that if I didn't call that day I'd have to wait til Monday.

In a few decades it might be normal for you too.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Sorry to hear you're sick schicksal and about your car woes Christine. Place looks great TG. Love the roofline. It looks like the whole thing was already there. (Meaning it doesn't look like an addition.)

My break is all about organizing, cleaning, and setting up systems (and then sticking to them.) Between DH's coaching and my job#2 I often use those things as excuses to let things pile up. But I just need to stop that. I've been the one who has fought against having a set schedule for job #2 (mostly because of DH's coaching and wanting to go to games), but I'm going to try in January to work Tuesday nights, 'sometime' on Sunday, and one or two max floating classes. And I'm going to pick one night M/W/Th to always be off, as well as Saturdays. No one will fault me and it'll lessen the overhead of worrying about when to work AND it'll allow me to schedule other stuff and not let job#2 get in the way. There are only two Tuesday's throughout the spring that I would want off (one polo game in Feb, one swim meet in March). But I'm going to commit to this in January and then reflect.

I've heard of three separate people talking about kidney stones at work! I've decided the two habits I need to get back into are drinking water (someone said that lack of water encourages kidney stones) and taking vitamins and then walking will be close behind the first two.

And today I'm tackling the mail and receipts. Those are the two things that are always floating around EVERYWHERE. I think I've got a pretty good plan for the mail. Now on to receipts.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I somehow forgot what WEEK it was. Suddenly it's ski patrol time and I thought I had a week to get things done that has already vanished.

YIKES ...

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, I'm so sorry to 'hear' you so discouraged. I hope the issue with the tires hasn't derailed your plans for the building material reduction/organization and painting you were fomenting last week.

Shicksal, I hope your parents' visit turns out to be more of a help than an additional stressor.

Texas_Gem, given shicksal's experience this year I might opt for the hauling-the-shingles-up-the-ladder option, or at least renting the zoom-them-up-the-ladder device. The roof was just replaced on SO's 231 year old house back on the other coast, and I was very relieved that no one was talking about dropping the shingles on that roof! Although the framing/sheathing of that house is surprisingly substantial. Of course on yours you know the roof can hold the weight because you just built it - it is comforting to know exactly what's in the walls and that everything's done right, isn't it?

I just lost that feeling when I sold the house we studs-out renovated to buy this one across country. Shicksal, it's in the foothills outside Sacramento - a very pleasing combination of what they call 'country' living and city services/amenities - whence I have brought down the rain by my mere presence, just like all those camping trips when I was young.

I wasn't quite expecting to spend my first two weeks in a multi-decadal drought chasing down leaks all over the house and praying the power doesn't go out in the storms. I've been joking with my family that I just need to find/unpack my silverware and the rain will stop (once I'm no longer camping.)

Part of my drastic move here was due to a feeling like you're describing, CEFreeman - that my life ran off the rails and I haven't been able to get it back. In a part of my mind it's still February 2012, right before I bought the house and we embarked on the studs-out renovation (hmmm...) and a chronic health condition kicked in to limit my utility.

I hope that this catalyst will help me be the change I need to see in my life rather than end up an over-correction.

Cal_quail, I was/am on a medication that threw my blood chemistry out of whack in a way that could produce kidney stones, and when I found myself feeling 'kidney-ish' (pain in my back/side) drinking a few gallons of water made it go away. This statement has not been approved by the FDA.

~emmers

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

texas_gem - that house looks amazing! The roofline looks perfect, like it's always been there.

emmers - tell us more please! What will you be renovating in your new home? You know, we may know a thing or two about kitchen layout... :)

• brightm
    9 years ago

I almost moved to the greater Sacramento area, once upon a time. I was living in Bakersfield (or maybe the mountains below there...outside Gorman) and had a job lined up in Citrus Heights and was all set to move when, all of a sudden, I got a really bad vibe and cancelled everything and moved in with my mom (in the San Fernando Valley). I hadn't realized how poor her health had become. It was a good move for the time as she was only around a few years after that.

I fixed my shower! Shower head to be exact. (The last straw was when I was getting ready for the school dance Friday night and realized I hadn't gotten all the conditioner out of my hair...and decided oh well, but now I've GOT to deal with the shower head!)

It's an inexpensive, hand-held Delta and the little plastic nozzles get caked up with hard water gunk. I figured maybe it was at the end of it's life. I've been looking at them off and on since the beginning of the summer. I finally took it off and soaked it in vinegar. DH chimed in and said that he tried it and the water was still just trickling out the hose. I took that off and the part above it and there was a filter caked up with what you see. All back together and it works great!

• brightm
    9 years ago

I also made some good chili! This IS an accomplishment.

DH and I both like chili. He's made some great ones over the years but he never has any idea what he's done. He's also made some flops. He's the intuitive cook, I'm more paint by numbers.

I tried making chili about a month ago, following a Tyler Florence recipe, and it was horrible. Not enough flavor, weird consistency. Many times when he makes it, it just tastes like sauce for pasta. And in the past, there's always been the battle of beans. I like them, him not so much.

There has been a chili and soup competition the last day before Christmas break the past few years (this was year 3 or 4). I'm determined to enter next year with something I'm proud of, in at least one category.

DH mentioned yesterday that he'd like chili soon. He asked me to set out to find a recipe. I think he felt bad that he didn't like the last one (neither did I) and besides just not wanting to do the work, he wanted me to 'get a win'.

I still didn't find THE recipe. But I read enough to know about what I wanted to do. And I have a pot simmering that tastes pretty darn good. It's a little sweet (or something), now that I've added the beans. But it's good. And I've documented it!

And just so you'll encourage me to make a decision on my backsplash, here's a pic.

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

Cal_quail, I've driven through Citrus Heights a few times now. At least these days it seems pretty crowded (says the Joisey girl.)

Our chili recipe is based on this one from Emeril. It's cheating- uses andouille, which gets you pretty close to chili flavor already. We only use half andouille and half ground beef or ground bison, throw in whatever kind and quantity of beans we feel like, leave out the onions (yuck!)and fudge the spices - I like lots of ancho chili powder and oregano, and chipotle powder to taste. It always tastes great with avocado and cornbread.

I encourage you to make a decision on your backsplash. That blue pot is striking me as pretty spiffy with your color scheme..

Here is a link that might be useful: bam...

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

oldbat2be, thank you for asking! The new house seems to 'tick all the boxes' (sigh) with a guest house for east coast family visits, a large garage (not my idea, but still), home office, that view, of course, and just a bit more space than we know what to do with. Coming from 1300 only partially useable sq Ft for two adults, five cats and a business this is an enormous step up. The only missing feature is the two acres of flat arable land I wanted for my garden - a tradeoff for the view - so I will have to do significant terraforming of my steep, rocky, gopher/deer/turkey/rattlesnake (!) inhabited hillside.

As far as house renovations, well, all the box-ticking came at the cost that the house was custom built by the PO in 1992 and mostly untouched since then. So there is a fairly significant list of maintenance, updates and grand plans afoot.

Fortunately (or unfortunately for my plans for self-empowerment) I have a handyman who was recommended by the move-in cleaning service who was recommended by the realtor. He has been helping me by caulking/fixing all the leaks I'm tracking down (project 1) and ripping the carpet out of the bathroom (project 2.) This will likely be a temporary reno of the bathroom to address the leaking/carpet/wallpaper issues until I'm ready with my whole-house flooring strategy (project x) and can tackle a full-on bathroom remodel (project y).

I guess we'll be leaving the pink/beige tile vanity top, shower stall and tub surround for now. (This is tile/fixtures my handyman called 'shrimp color,' which I found both delightfully-put and sad for me.) Unless tile reglazing is actually worthwhile? I am only on page 62 of the bathrooms forum.

I am having trouble settling on temporary flooring to replace the carpet. Vinyl is the obvious choice but I hate the idea. Picture below was taken at the flooring store where I went hoping linoleum would present a solution.

As for the kitchen, I hesitate to say it because it seems like it would be rare, but I think the previous owners might have designed a pretty fantastic kitchen layout. I will have to post another thread soon so you all can check my work - I did read all 67 pages of back threads before forming this opinion (my standard MO when adding a forum) but I am coming from a significant deficit of functional kitchen experience so I might just be starry-eyed.

Aesthetically there are some items to address. They put in pink granite to sell the house (Nooooo!), the flooring is cat-puke-slate-look-vinyl (seriously, I stepped in some last night because I couldn't see the difference) and my fabulous cabinets are (sob) golden oak. Having an SO from a slightly different generation is a peril here - apparently when you grow up with a 70s style dark wood kitchen the 80s style golden oak looks pretty good.

But if my impression of the kitchen's fabulousness is validated in the crucible (marcolo, hollysprings, et al) I will be working on evolving the kitchen rather than renovating it.

Pardon me for rambling- I really enjoy words, which caused numerous English and journalism teachers to throw up their hands in despair back in the day.

~emmers

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Emmers- all I have to say at this point is you keep posting with pictures of the view (which is amazing BTW) but I haven't seen a single picture of any part of this new house!! Stop being such a tease!! ;)

Cal- you KNOW I love you but you CAN'T use someone else's recipe for a chili cook off!!! As a Texan (chili pros) let me give you a suggestion. Slow cooked, flavorful meat with chili's makes a quite tasty chili. Fresh chili peppers, roasted in the oven before being added is also a plus!

Last time I made chili, I used brisket which was slow cooked for 8 hours and it was, by far, my best chili yet!!

I may be slaughtered by fellow Texans here (ducking my head) but I have no problem with beans and I generally use them when I make chili.

Beans don't make or break the chili. Chili is all about the flavor!! Tomato's, chili's, garlic, and flavorful, soft, chewy meat is what makes an amazing chili!!

So, you want an amazing chili? Start with an amazing meat!! Beef, lamb, venison, etc. Prep that meat the day before, make certain it tastes PHENOMENAL on its own and THEN use it with fresh tomatoes, chili's, and garlic plus your own secret ingredients (including beans) to make it even more amazing!!!

Good luck!! You've got a year to experiment and come up with your own amazing, totally unique recipe!!

• mgmum
    9 years ago

I'm often confused as to the day, but I'm a rotating shift worker. Well, I work a steady shift now but always start/end on different days of the week. I'm off the next three days and both boys have 3 on 3 hockey tournaments so Monday we're at one rink with the older boy all day and the younger boys tournament is Tuesday. Then a quick tidy of the house Christmas Eve and Santa comes! :)

I'm working Christmas afternoon shift for a co-worker with a new baby and Boxing Day for someone because it's their husbands birthday. Then my three regular shifts.

Texas, that house is moving along quickly!
    CEF, I hear you on the car agony! I'm still trying to catch up from when my van broke down in Michigan. It was a $1200 fix but I'm good to go for a long while now that it's repaired.
    Schicksal! I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. I hope you feel better soon and that you have a nice visit with your parents.
    Emmers, I agree with Texas, you need to show some pics of the house.
    Cal_Quail, that blue pot is gorgeous! The chili looks pretty good too. I hope you can work out a schedule you like with Job #2.

Well, it's late and I forget who else is in the thread. LOL I'm off to bed to get a good sleep before the rink all day tomorrow!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

TG is on the right track with the "key" to good chili..it's precooked meat.
    My chili is lovingly called Freezer Chili..it is bits and pieces of left over meats from other meals chopped up and added to a base of aromatics, pureed tomatoes and lots of cumin.
    I also love smoked paprika and chipotle chili powder.

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

Ok, well, there's good reason for that - the view doesn't have my cr@p piled all over it! All I have picture-wise are the RE photos (with the previous owners' stuff) and I'm in no position to take any with boxes anywhere.

Ok, here's one when I was showing SO the new interim couch, before the boxes got here.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

This thread blew up over the weekend it looks like, or at least it seems that way due to a morning-after Ny Quil induced haze. At this point I think that maybe the worst of it is either here or just behind me but we'll see.

My parents are mostly well behaved, unlike the in laws. One of the guest bedrooms is still uninhabitable thanks to the huge mess she made. There have been lots of suggestions to decorate in certain ways because HGTV is doing it, and talk about how I need to keep the pedestal sink in one of the bathrooms even though I absolutely hate it and it's the opposite of modern.

@emmers and Tx Gem - I thought the same thing about the roof drop. The attorney sent a copy of what was filed but right now I can make it about 1/4 of a page through, see that there are 13 more to go and stop reading.

@ cal_quail - the chili looks awesome! I'm staring down a Jose Ole breakfast burrito now, wishing I could trade, or be able to smell at least.

@ MGMum - I hear you about not knowing what day it is. I work 19 days on / 2 days off so it blends together.

There are lots of words on this thread that I'll try and get back and comprehend later. After ny quill has worn off a little more maybe.

• brightm
    9 years ago

The pic was mostly to see the splatters of chili on the wall (yes, I've already discussed I'm the one who points out flaws to guests). Trying to hold off having some chili until after a morning dr. appt (check-up...find new prescription for asthma med that insurance stopped covering).

I am going with MIL to look at granite today. I posted a thread with a pic yesterday with a potential granite and tile she's considering. Her kitchen reno may be harder on me than mine was, mostly because she will make the opposite decision from me on most things. Not that that's bad design wise, but I have read so much on hear I will be in fear for her until it's done.

She's had three guys (or four but I think the fourth didn't make it this far) over to give estimates:
    Window guy by trade, but also does kitchens. He's the one who left a brochure for cabinets (J & K out of China) and a hand sketched plan. She got a price she likes from him, but the plan would need tweaking. She likes the idea of using him since she's replacing and working around a garden window and he seemed to have the best ideas for that.
    Guy who's done work for our hair dresser. He gave a rough estimate that was about triple the first guy, so he's dismissed by default. She also just didn't like him. He reminded her of my contractor, so he's out. (And by that comment, I agree.)
    Guy who's done a friend's kitchen. She REALLY likes this guy. She REALLY wants to go with this guy. But he's the scariest of them all to me. I have no idea of his qualifications. "He has a business card" is all she knows. And that he successfully did her friends kitchen that she likes. The red flags to me, besides not knowing if he's licensed...
    -He won't let her go anywhere to look at granite. He brings her samples.
    -When she asked if she could go with someone else for the granite (my guy) he said "Don't you like my granite work?" and made her feel bad. I've asked two or three times what she said after that but whatever it was, it didn't address her concern that she be able to pick slabs. And she comes back to "I feel bad. I like him. He's so nice."
    -He brought a sample door. No word on what brand of cabinet, but obviously from some manufacturer.
    -She has a soffit. The expensive guy's quote included taking it out. It would open the room up so much. She should do it. She dreads the mess. She asked this guy if he could do it and he said 'Then you'd need custom cabinets'. Are there brands that don't carry 42's? I guess so.
    -She has a garden window on one leg of an L. She may need A seam somewhere on that L because of the awkwardness of the garden window or because of the length of the run. She currently has a cooktop on the other leg of the L, but she'll go with a range. So the counter will stop before the range. I'm thinking it'd be about a 10 foot run along the wall with the garden window and the garden window probably juts out 18" behind the 24" counter and there's probably another 18" toward the cooktop in front of the 24" counter. So the depth isn't the issue, it'd be the length of the slab and the awkward shape the window would create. This guy is talking seams and wants there to be a lip at the window. She says no. Thank goodness. There's Corian there now, flat. I think that's the guy just wanting to use remnants. And not wanting or knowing how to deal with a big piece of granite. It'll be WAY easier to get in. There's a gate and a sliding door right there. Way easier than our 10ft L that they got in in one piece!

Her favorite thing about our kitchen is our granite. She's said time and time again that she could never pick something like that but she loves it and she wants to have something like that and wants our help picking it out. But then she is so afraid of doing that (and hurting the guys feelings) that she may not do it. I finally convinced her to go to the granite yard with me today. That guy is coming over tomorrow to do a little plumbing project to see how she likes working with him. I'm glad she agreed to go before that. I printed off the pic of one of our slabs with the templates taped on, explained the process and said she should accept no less. We'll see.

• schicksal
    9 years ago

To be honest, I get a funny feeling about all three...

• brightm
    9 years ago

Me too. I'm trying to swing her to Barker (or the like) with the local GC that we've both had do work as the GC, with me doing the bulk of the plan. She will have at least 3 narrow-ish cabinets and I can't imagine not going frameless.

She picked out some granite (Monte Cristo). She's not ready enough to put it on hold, but she saw how different they can all be from samples, and that's what's important. I can't remember if it was before we got there or after we left when she said very clearly: I can't go with Leo. She had come from lunch with her girlfriends, all of which have done plenty of reno's and one who does some interior design work. The later told her to put on her big girl pants and not pick the guy because he's nice. So either that, or seeing the granite has made her see the light.

She's leaning towards the window guy, who I'm pretty sure is licensed at least in some way.

I priced out Barker based on some guesses at what she wanted. I didn't share the number with her yet, but I included things like mostly drawers, pull outs, and quite a bit of millwork, and I don't think the price was too bad compared to his.

The other big thing will be taking out the soffit. I think it would make such a big difference. But if she decides to weigh the cost of different things, I think I'd go with frameless cabinets and leave the soffit, vs. taking out the soffit and going with framed, lower level cabinets. The extra storage would be nice, but she doesn't NEED it, she'll be gaining a bunch anyway. And it would open the room up, but she'll already be doing that visually by going from med brown to white cabinets and losing a peninsula. The one really nice thing about losing the soffit would be that there wouldn't be an absolute end point to the kitchen vs. the breakfast area. The soffit stops there now defining one from the other (as does the peninsula which is leaving.

Here's what she's leaning towards now. The issue that we'd need to talk to a (real) granite guy about is there's a fissure that I don't know if you avoid it all together or just work it into somewhere inconspicuous. It's towards the lower/middle left. It's black and runs through one of the brown/orange dots.

We'll be over there Christmas Eve and Day and I'll do all kinds of measuring, drawing, picture taking, etc.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OMG.
    emmers, your place is going to be stunning. Who needs furniture or stuff when you can enjoy the airy-ness (how do you spell that?) with the warmth of all that lovely wood?

Cal_quail, I love the Big Girl Pants thing. Women spend too much darned time trying to be [simper] "nice." IMO, it sounds like that guy last guy is trying to take advantage of an older person, whom he knows he can run over with an authoritative tone.
    and that granite is incredible. It looks like snowflake agate.

Shicksal, hope you're returning to the world of humans soon. Being that sick .... ehhhhh [puke].

TG? WOW! I also thought from the beginning that you might be doubling your house. You're going with one of the biggest real estate trends in the country right now. Did you know you were a trend setter? Adding on additional living space for family members that is a complete home. i.e. separate kitchen, living space, etc., but adjoining. But. Listen to me. [hands on hips] that brother of yours? If he comes to stay, he gets THE COUCH and better bring his own blanket.

Ok. Cat litter beckons.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

CalQuail, that granite is gorgeous! I think your Mom should go with Barker and your other good GC.

CEF, you're a riot! I think you're spot on about Texas' brother!

Shcicksal, I don't know what you do but you're a Saint as far as I'm concerned! I can't even conceive of 19 on 2 off. At what point are you ever off for 3 weeks?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

So much going on with you all! Schicksal I hope you're feeling better.

I've been busy getting ready for the holiday. Spent Saturday with friends on a special tour at Disney that they got me for my birthday. Made some Santa cookies today.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

Those are way to cute to eat!
    I love to bake, but that is just to much detail work.

Well I know today is Tuesday, because yesterday was my first day of Winter Break. Lol...but all last week, I was sure Christmas was not this week, but the next one. Hmmmmm

I went in to school to take down my tree and bring it home. I also grabbed some work...shhhh...don't tell on me.. The more days I am there the more I find out dated and incomplete from the last person. Grrrr...I just can't get a good handle on some of the "projects" with constant interuption. I really dislike unfinished work, yet I can have unfinished projects at home? WTH? Lol

I hope by now you are climbing out of sickdom, Shick!

MGM, How'd the hockey tourny's go?

Cal, that is lovely granite. I have been looking at Barker cabs too...but none of the door options speak to me. Well I like the Saeple, but it is very costly.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ooooooaaaaawwwwww... little Santa cookies! How perfect!

I thought I'd share my morning dilemma.
    All night long there were 2 dogs triggering my porch motion sensor lights. Not that unusual, but they seemed to be staying.

Sho 'nuff, this morning I found 2 absolutely gorgeous pit bulls having taken up residence, nestling in the drop cloths on my porch. A brindle female, who has obviously recently had a littler, and an unneutered male. He is white with a brindle "saddle" across his back. This makes me feel they've come from around the corner and down in the woods more, where they fight dogs.

That's how we got Bella in 2007. Someone left her on the side of the road to die. She had a prolapsed uterus. Ironically, she was just sitting there, waiting for her people. Makes me sick.

Anyway, the male is definitely protecting the female. The subtle crouch and low wagging tale tells me they're not going to instantly love me like most dogs do. Problem: P.G. county kills pits and rots. Understandably, all the rescues only offer email addresses.

I work at 2. I have 5 cats. The dogs are gorgeous.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Those santa cookies are SO cute! I'm starting a list for next year. Gathering ideas and recipes. Actually, not just Christmas, I'm entitling the list 'Holidays'. I want to use some of my mom's cookie cutters. I haven't and I'm having a strong urge to. The holly leafed pies and the santas are definitely making it stronger. I remember lots of cute spring/Easter ones.

Christina, what kind of frosting is that?

Christine - Yikes. Dilemma! I have no advice. I have no idea what I'd do. Sending good thoughts your way for you to make the right decision for you.

I was going to make bread yesterday. Didn't. Thought I'd make it today. MIL texted to ask me to bring it tomorrow and I said absolutely. Then I saw I need flour. :: Off to the store I go. (After I eat another faux Cinnabon that was gifted to us...another recipe I need to get.)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

The major accomplishment ... moving the cats to the new house! They love the sunporch.

SO is off ski patrolling, I'm organizing the chaos of a very disorganized moving process, trying to get psyched up and ready for the final toss/donate/pack shove in a week or so.

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, call your vet? They might have the number for a rescue?

That is a terrible dilemma, I know you don't feel comfortable going to work and leaving them, not knowing if they'll go back to a bad situation. I guess there's no way to lure them to your barn with food?

• christina222_gw
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, that is so sad and yes, a dilemma. I hope you're able to find a home for them.

Cal_quail, I used royal icing (Julia Usher's recipe, though they're all pretty much the same) on the cookies. It's an ice cream cone cookie cutter. I found the directions on you tube.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

Christine! Those cookies are so cute! I'll look up that recipe! My boys totally were not into decorating cookies this year. The older one JUST said to me Hopefully you get a taser for Christmas. I said WHAT?! He said so when me and G are fighting you can just Bzzzzt! I said, Yeah well that would be great except they are a prohibited device! (Dang!) I've often mentioned a dog shock collar might work on them. Maybe they've overheard me. LOL

CEF! What a dilemma! Can you look for an ad on Kijiji or Craigslist for a rescue? Calling the vet is a good idea too.

Lazy, is that the adobe house? Your cat looks quite comfortable.

Terri, the tourneys were great! The older boy plays competitive and he had a lot of fun and came in 3rd or 4th of about 12 teams, and the younger one plays house league and they came in 3 of 4 teams, oddly enough because the others were all competitive teams. His team was cobbled together from a bunch of kids none of whom knew each other except he and one other kid.

We generally have Chinese food for dinner on Christmas Eve and imagine my surprise when I found out today the restaurant is now out of business!! I only go once a year, but did a drive by a short time ago and the sign was there. I guess the owner of the plaza didn't bother taking it down. We had breakfast for dinner instead. LOL We have a year to find a new place.

Merry Christmas everyone!!

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Wow- been hiding recently.
    When you are retired, everyday is Saturday.
    Schick - feel better soon. DH is sneezing so might have to leave him at home tomorrow when I fly to see DM.
    Christine - see my cookie post. I desperately need lessons.
    Freeman - good luck with the puppies.
    Oldbat- you made it into my Kings Day flyer - I gave up on Christmas cards and have a big party around Jan 6 and send out my ecards for Kings Day

Have a Merry Christmas

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the Pits, whom I've named Polly and Harry after my parents, are still on the porch. Happy, wiggly, hungry, and playful. I've got every rescue in the DelMarVa area, including eastern PA looking for a home/foster. It's warm this weekend, so they can remain outside, but when it gets cold if I haven't found something, I don't know what I"m going to do.

As far as my barn, emmers, no. It's not lockable. The leeward side doesn't have a door, so it'd be pointless -- and cold!

Other than that, Merry Christmas and happy hoidays to you all! :)

• brightm
    9 years ago

We used to do Chinese food on Christmas day. The tradition started the last few years with my mom as she wasn't in a position to cook, nor was I. And we lived in a predominantly Jewish area, so it was easy to find Chinese food on Christmas. We carried it on with the inlaws, but after looking around for various places and getting way too much 'just ok' Chinese food on several Christmases, we abandoned it.

Christine - Glad the dogs are okay for now (and your cats too).

lazygardens - Speaking of cats...that one looks happy! Glad their move went well.

a2g - Must look into this Kings day thing. I often think about (and think I once did) New Years' cards. As a teacher, I just can't think straight until after school is out, so that'd be good.

Spent most of the evening, that we weren't eating, measuring and planning things in MIL's kitchen. I said letting me help with the kitchen is all the gift I need.

She has an odd-sized soffit. It's 8" with a normal 8ft ceiling. She's currently got 36"h wall cabinets, leaving 16" above counter tops. I think that's what mine were pre-reno too. If she leaves the soffit, I think she'll have to do the same. And since she's short, and doesn't have tall, small appliance issues, that should be fine.

I've got things drawn out on graph paper. We'll play with it more over there today.

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

CEFreeman, I am so relieved the dogs are ok, at least for now. I'm a little touchy (-er) about animal concerns right now after uprooting and traumatizing my cats and moving to a place where everyone seems to let their pets run free despite the stories of rattlesnakes and cougars and the group of coyotes I saw in my backyard yesterday.

It was the same in Joisey, but there there was only (!) traffic and humans to worry about, and here I would actually like to be friendly with my neighbors.

I'm trying to figure out how to accomplish that now. I've been walking down the street to the store on Sundays, which has been a bit hit or miss as far as meeting people. I was thinking to send out new year's cards to the neighborhood with a 'if you're free sometime and would like to get together over tea/cookies/beer/wine..."

Would that be weird?

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Awww. It's hard to be in a new place .

I moved out to the country from DC in 2002. Growing up in a 2-stop light town, I expected more community.

To this very day, I know 3 of my neighbors by name.

Rather than "stop by whenever" why don't you simply have a little open house type thing and invite them at a specific time. People are more likely to do that, than wander in and feel like they might be interrupting someone.
    You could call it a "meet the new neighbor" open house. You know they're all dying of curiosity...

Merry Christmas, dearie.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you are all having a wonderful day. My kids seem to think we are the best parents ever!! :)

{{gwi:2142092}}

We also found out last night that my brother and his wife are expecting their first child. Oh boy, maybe this will help him mature. At least one can hope!

CEF- I think I would have named them Harry and Sally! ;).

Cal- I hope you are able to steer her in the right direction. Remodels cost so much, you really don't want to mess it up with the wrong GC.

Cookies look amazing! I may have to try making some poured icing cookies sometime.

I'm going to go grab myself a bowl of taco chicken soup and watch the kids bounce. Have a great night everyone!!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

A bouncy castle in the family room...sawheeet...lol...

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Terri- heck yeah!!! I'm going to revel in these few precious years where I can make their dreams come true and it doesn't cost a fortune!!!

The bouncy castle was their combined "big gift" this year and it cost less than 300.

I know, here in a few years, they will all be wanting touchpads, smart phones, laptops, etc and it will cost a LOT more than 300 to give that to four kids! Plus, if my own teen years are any example, they may like the present but you just don't get that unbridled joy from a 15 year old as you do from a 2, 3, 5, and 7 year old when they see their very own bouncy castle!!!

We initially set it up in the garage but it was a bit too cold for the 2 little ones so we moved things around in the living room and set it up there.

How was your (and everyone else's) Christmas?

• schicksal
    9 years ago

Ok wow, there have been about 20 posts since I stopped in a few days ago...

@cal_quail - that's some pretty cool looking granite. I'm always a sucker for some interesting looking stone; that one looks a lot better than the ones with a smaller repeating or uniform pattern IMO.

@ MGMum - probably never? Even when I got married the wedding + honeymoon was probably a bit under two altogether. Right now I'm at (you guessed it) eating Waffle House leftovers, living large. I guess I just do whatever needs to be done without thinking much of it. Is that it for the hockey tournaments for the year or are there more?

@Christina222 - those are some awesome looking cookies! They would probably be healthier breakfast than waffle house.

@terri - I am finally... today should mark the last of it I hope.

@ CEFreeman - glad to read that the dogs didn't end up being mean. I wasn't sure what the additional posts would bring the way the first one started!

@ emmers_m - I don't think it would be strange. It took us a long time to get to know much anyone over here, probably three years or so. My other half can be pretty antisocial without knowing it though. Raised by wolves maybe.

@ Texas_Gem - the only thing that would have topped a bounce house at that age probably would have been go karts, and those don't work so well in a living room. Not bad.

Christmas over here was pretty much overlooked since my other half is 1,500 miles away with her parents, and mine are over here. It's the first one without my brother so we are laying low. My parents leave tomorrow and I will be alone for a few days until she returns. A couple of annoying things with their car that would have been a few hundred $ to fix at a shop were things that I was able to do for free, we went to the movies and watched a couple at home and will go again today.

I guess other than that there isn't a lot going on... I have been getting endless decorating suggestions from mom but everything she likes is so different from what we like that none of it is really applicable.

• CEFreeman
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Christmas:

I treated myself to sushi. nom nom nom.

Dogs.
    Oh, geeze. I have rescues from S. MD to Baltimore putting out the word. These two will not leave my yard. Yesterday Harry (yes, I've named them) and I played fetch for a while ... with a 2x4. Not much left of the 2x4. I think he's young. He tips backwards when he sits down and forgets to lift his leg.

Polly is slow moving and sweet. I think she's suffering from post-partum something. I don't know anything about dog-mothers, so I'm scared something will be wrong and I don't know it.

I'm hoping my neighbor, who has been down 2 or 3 times to bring them treats, will adopt them. He has an unoccupied kennel and knows dogs. Plus, he's nice and I could keep an eye on them.

Last night went down to the 20s, so they spent the night in the mudroom, where Morgan would sleep. Evidently, thank goodness, they're housebroken.

What shall our theme be Saturday? I'm drawing a blank.
    Waffle House?
    Resolutions?
    One mess to another?

Help a chick out here! :)

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Those Santa cookies are perfect! I made rum balls this year - that's it (but they sure were yummy!)

Christina, bless your heart for caring for those terrific dogs. I sure hope you can find a good home for them.

Emmers, I like the idea of a "New neighbor open house". Many of your neighbors might end up meeting each other for the first time! Our new neighbors had a picnic shortly after they moved in, and it was a blast.

As far as this week's topic - I often don't know what day it is. This week is terrible - we spent Wed and Thur with my Mom, and went to church, so it felt like a weekend. Next week won't have anything vaguely resembling a normal schedule, then we're going on a ski trip, and vacation days are all Saturday. Maybe by mid-January I'll get it figured out!

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

Gulp. You all are throwing me into the deep end with this open house idea. I do better on a one-on-one basis, so I might need to table the idea of a paahr-ty as a last resort or until SomeOne gets here. (Although SO might have enjoyed being raised by wolves.)

Maybe I will just include my phone number and email address instead of saying stop by anytime.

As for tomorrow's theme, I would vote that resolutions wait a week - the better to encourage progress, at least for me.

The time between Christmas and new years always seems like 'bonus time' to me - no real external obligations or expectations, so a potential chance to take a breath or get something done, depending on which way you roll.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

emmers, another option would be to make several small plates of cookies, and deliver them to your new neighbors. Introduce yourself, tell them you look forward to getting to know them. Perhaps they invite you in to chat, perhaps not - but at least you've made eye contact, instead of just a note. It makes it much easier to wave or chat next time you see each other.

• lavender_lass
    9 years ago

Join the club! I've been a member for the past few years. :)

I started by keeping a calendar handy to know the date...now I'm having trouble remembering the day of the week.

Hopefully, we'll figure something out pretty soon and life will go back to some sense of normal. Keeping my fingers crossed! It's Saturday, right? LOL

• schicksal
    9 years ago

I vote waffle house because that place rocks. It's not just for finding food after the bars close!

• emmers_m
    9 years ago

annkh, I considered something like that, but I can't bring myself to ring doorbells/interrupt. Plus, people have fences, gates, and (beware of) dogs.

I have been walking to the corner market on Sundays and chatting with anyone out in the yard who seems so inclined, so hopefully that covers the eye contact front.

The card idea is intended to convey my interest in being sociable without putting anyone on the spot.

We are hoping to live here for 20 years so this is a multi-faceted strategy :)

CEFreeman, the neighbor sounds like the perfect solution! And he's already hooked if he's bringing them treats. Discover his weakness and start applying the screws.

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

Schick- This year must have been tough for all of you with out your brother, I'm glad your parents were able to see you and not be alone.

CEF- I agree with emmer's, groom that neighbor to take them!!

Shingles were ordered on Monday but they weren't delivered until today and yes, they were delivered rooftop with a conveyor.
    {{gwi:2142093}}

You notice the tar paper isn't on yet though. :( the winds were so high the other day that we couldn't lay the paper. Well, we could have if we would have had some more hands, but we didn't.

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

That addition is going up quick. Especially since it's a lot of DIY!

Well TG, you are correct, about their "glee and greatfulness" at 14 and 17.
    Zero..woohoo and squeals...they got exactly what they asked for. Smart phones..one an Iphone 5s the other a Samsung Note 4. Clothes...
    They are the last of their peers to get smart phones...lol...so it really wasn't a woohoo...:)

They had more fun and it was more exciting when they still got a few "toys". I think the last memorable Christmas for "fun" was about 4 years ago when I bought all of them Airsoft assult rifles, including the husband. 2 friends came over with their new guns and they all rainbowed my yard with plastic BB's for a few hours.

As far as next week's theme..
    I am about to get back on track with "planning" and mini project finishing.
    You know all those started projects that just went "away" when the holidays hit.
    I am also going to jump into Gramma mode..8 weeks to go!

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Yes, Waffle House ... because "waffle" is a word for indecisive

• brightm
    9 years ago

We don't have Waffle House here, but I know it from traveling in the south. I'm okay with anyplace with butterscotch anything on the menu.

Spent the morning at a waterpolo tournament. We won both games, big. I scheduled my day tomorrow with job#2 (first day back) thinking tournament would finish in the morning, but I'll miss the last game, regardless. So I may not go tomorrow. We have a good shot at winning the whole thing, so I'm sad not to go. But I think it'd be harder to go to one and not get to see the championship game. And almost as hard if we lose the first game tomorrow after winning so big today. So I think going to a game is a lose-lose proposition for me.

I want to get my bathroom drawers/cabinets cleaned out. I've had it on various to-do lists for years. Things are just piled/crammed in. I decided I'll plan it one drawer/shelf at a time. Trying to get it done by the end of break. It's 'chunked' enough that way that I don't have to plan a big period of time. So far so good. Yesterday before we went to the inlaws' I did one drawer and one shelf. I'm about to go hit another in a bit. Good plan.

I'm definitely struggling with the day of the week. I was listening to talk radio on the way to and from the games. The person filling in for the regular host...I thought he was saying the wrong regular host, today being Saturday and all. Not. That was my first indication that it's really still Friday.

This is not a good timing for me of Christmas and New Years within the two week school break. I think I do best when it's on the weekend or at least butts up to the weekend rather than being in the middle. I lose some of my precious 'normal' weekdays off.

I'm going to try mixing up my bread recipe. Going to try one of the variations with some whole wheat flour. Wish me luck!

• Terri_PacNW
    9 years ago

I bet you'll love it with the WW flour more. I like to use just a bit of oat flour or barley flour in my regular recipes too. It just amps up the "hominess" of the bread.

Waffle House...none of those this far NW...
    I to have been doing a lot of "waffling" on choices. :)