Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
serenamc_gw

Caldera gas cooktop

serenamc
16 years ago

Hi, does anyone out there have experience with Caldera gas cooktops? My husband and I will be building this year. I was considering either Thermador or DCS gas cooktops until I read about the Caldera. It sounds perfect for me but I don't know anyone who has used one and I haven't seen one other than in online pictures. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments (21)

• dannie_gal
    16 years ago

I've got a 36" propane unit that I've been using for about 3 months. I had never cooked with gas prior to this and I love my Caldera. Everything about it is very sturdy and the knobs feel hefty. My MIL and I both cooked on the Caldera without tripping on one another during the holiday (which is ordinarily a big problem, but no more in my new kitchen!).

I chose this cook top because of the good reviews from Trailrunner on this site and I'm so glad I made this purchase. I would definitely buy a Caldera again. My plumber commented on how nice the cook top is when he installed it. I don't have any experience with any other brand of gas cook top, so I'm sorry I don't have anything further that can be helpful. Good luck with your decision!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I've ordered a 30" Caldera gas cooktop based on all the reviews here and on the appliance forum (did you ask there? quite a few people have them and that's where I first learned about them). I saw one in person and it is beautiful, but my kitchen renovation has not started yet. All I can tell you is that when you call the company, the owner picks up the phone and talks to you personally. In this day and age, worth its weight in gold.

• mtbpete
    16 years ago

Like many others, I was enamored by the looks of the Caldera. I purchased the SSK-365 around July of last year and it wasn't long before I noticed a "clicking" sound that wouldn't go away. It was diagnosed as a faulty ignitor and the part was ordered. That was September! After calling the local appliance store (again) where I bought it, I was told they have put in six calls to the parts distributor and none have yet been returned. It's obviously time to take the matter into my own hands because something is definitely wrong. Unfortunately, when I called the company I only got a voice recording. I also learned that their 800 number has been disconnected (not a big deal, but suspect). Having the owner talk to you is nice, but a better test is how well a company supports their products. So far, I'm not getting a great feeling. I would suggest looking hard for appliance stores that sell their products and get their opinion. When I called EuroChef for some information, they said they don't service Caldera cooktops "yet".

The irony is my wife was reluctant to buy our appliances from a great wholesaler I found because she was worried about service. Since the local applicance store couldn't even come close to the prices I found, I went with the wholesaler, but this was the only product they didn't carry so I went with the local applicance store. If the company infrastructure doesn't cooperate, it doesn't matter where you buy the product.

I still love the cooktop and other than the annoying clicking, it works well. I can't imagine there are many things that can go wrong with my version, but I am grateful I didn't buy the fully automated touch panel version for $3000.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

Call Caldera directly and talk to Al, who is one of the owners. Tell him your problem and I'm betting it will be solved in no time flat. I've called this number several times and gotten through to Al. (who knows? maybe this is his home office). It's a real number.
    Caldera
    192 Thomas Ln
    Stowe, VT 05672
    (802) 253-3008

Between us, I think he regrets that he signed a distribution contract with Eurochef. Get to Al and let us know how you make out.

• User
    16 years ago

Calling Al is the perfect solution. He is wonderful and responds immediately to all questions or requests.

I love my Caldera. I have the 36" and we use it all the time . The large wok size burner in the center is SO GREAT. I had posted tons of pics of DH and his wok. You will never get a better cooktop that is more reliable, easy to clean and has never had the 1st problem. Please do give it a whirl. c

• mtbpete
    16 years ago

Just wanted to report back to say all is well. Al indeed returned my phone call and fortunately, I didn't need a part (still not sure where that problem resides). Apparently, the flame carries voltage and creates a circuit with the cap on the burner. If the flame is too low, or gets displaced by a draft, the cooktop will assume the flame is out and try to re-light it (hence the clicking). I did notice that if we turned the gas up, the clicking would stop, but as many owners can tell you, this baby generates heat! The only burner I can simmer rice on for the amount I need to cook is the smallest, on the lowest setting. I guess I'll just have to stir it more after turning the heat up.

• dannie_gal
    16 years ago

I've found that I can get an even lower flame than the lowest setting by moving the dial to the almost off position. This way, I can get the flame down low enough to even melt chocolate without a double boiler.

• User
    16 years ago

I had told someone else that the solution to clicking is to check the cap on the burner. I am sorry I didn't realize that was what you were talking about. When you clean the cooktop you take these off and then when you put them back on double check that the flame is even all the way around. And yes Dannie that is the way to get the simmer setting. Also you can adjust the flames lower by manually adjusting the gas flow so Pete that is also something you might want to do. All gas stoves have that adjustment. I really love my Caldera and talk it up to all who will listen LOL. Caroline

• silverquick
    16 years ago

I have used a Thermador gas cooktop for nearly 20 years. It worked great except having ignition problems every 5 years. I'm thinking about getting a Caldera gas cooktop but worry about its service and parts availability. I called most appliances stores in my area but most salesman told me they never heard of Caldera cooktop. I called the main Caldera number and left a message. A few hours later, someone called me back and claimed that Caldera no longer handles its marketing and that's why the 800 number has been terminated. The markting will be handeled by Eurochef USA. I wonder if you know any authorized Caldera dealer in Norther California, San Jose area.

If I get a new cooktop, I'd like to keep it for another 20 years. I'm concerned if Caldera can survive in the long run. I also don't know the long term reliability of Caldera cooktop. Any feedback will be appreciated.

• User
    16 years ago

If you get the basic gas cook top , I have the 36" then there is really nothing that can break that any service person couldn't fix. They are extremely low tech so I would not worry about that. I have used mine very heavily for over a year and it looks and behaves as it did on day 1. I am not sure about the "800" number issue but I can tell you that for the price and subsequent quality you won't get a better gas cook top. The huge burner at 18K is simply the best. Good luck, Caroline

• my3sons_2008
    16 years ago

Since reading about the Caldera here, we're getting the 36". It's great looking and has that big center burner. Yippee - no more crowding of big pots/pans on the cook-top! However, I'm having trouble finding a hood that I like and that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I was ready to order the Zephyr Pyramid 36" ($530) but it's 400 cfu and while I will never use all the burners at the same time, I've learned - from you knowledgeable ones out there - that you need 10 cfu for every 100 btu. So, the Caldera with 54,000 btu really calls for at least a 500cfu hood. Has anyone found an undercab. hood that might work? I don't want a "statement" hood. Help!!!!

• rgillman
    16 years ago

my3sons- I posted elsewhere (maybe on the appliance forum) that I called Al at Caldera to ask him about the cfms needed for the 30" and he said 400 would be plenty. The 30" has the same BTUs as the 36" and Al said he has 400 cfms in his own house, which is fine because unless you are using all burners at the same time, you don't need more. Call him to check if you are not sure. I went with the Zephyr Tamburo 30" with 400 CFMs. His answer to me - "go with what you love." done.

• my3sons_2008
    16 years ago

raynag -Thanks so much! I'm still learning my way around this site and feel like a kid in a candy-store (are there still candy stores?)I did make a note of Al's number and
    will give him a call, but I'm so glad to hear what he told you.

• rgillman
    16 years ago

It's great that you can call Caldera and not get "press 1 press 2..our customer care representatives are caring for other customers. Your wait is approximately 45 minutes." Love that REAL customer service - and my cooktop is still on my livingroom floor - LOL.

• bmh48
    16 years ago

I have been searching for a Caldera gas top. I stumbled on this forum and decided to ask here if anyone knows where to purchase one in or around the Lexington Kentucky area. I am willing to travel a reasonable distance to see one in person. I have only seen them online. I did call Al at the number mentioned in a previous post. I left a message but he never called back. That made me wonder if I had to worry about customer service on these units. They really are nice looking and just what I would like for my new kitchen. I am in a bit of a time crunch though. My house is due to be completed in about 6 weeks and they are pushing me for my cooktop measurments. Any help appreciated. Thanks

• User
    16 years ago

You don't need to see it before buying, I didn't. They are exactly as shown on the Caldera web page. They perform day in and day out as they say. There are no parts that need servicing that any appliance person who repairs gas cooktops could not repair. That said there is simply nothing that is going to go wrong. You can order on-line at several places that come up on Google . Don't use HomeClick as they have a horrible rep for all things. Other than that order and enjoy. See My Page under "food pic" too see pics of the Caldera in action . Good Luck Caroline

• bmh48
    16 years ago

I would like to see if the 30" which is what I need has enough room with 5 burners to use 2 large pans on it at the same time. The center burner looks like the biggest but if you use it the others dont look big enough to say handle a large fry pan. I would just feel better if I could see it first hand.

• djlawton
    16 years ago

Having read the reviews here and wanting-needing a 5-burner cook top for the 30" slot in my kitchen, I ordered a Caldera from Universal Appliances on March 12th. They and every other web site said it would take 3-4 weeks to get the appliance. I was shocked when they said the cooktop was being shipped on the 25th. Unfortunately, someone in the stock room saw "Caldera" and shipped it to me -- it was the 36" model. Well, the Merchant was good at getting UPS to come pick up the mis-shipment but they haven't been good at refunding the charge nor have I seen the correct cooktop yet! I even called the number listed here for Caldera and never heard from them either. I'm trying to be patient but it's difficult when I don't have any information.

• User
    15 years ago

Hi, I don't want to hijack this thread, but my question is so dim-witted I didn't want to start a whole new one either ... does anyone know how to remove the control knobs for cleaning? (36" cooktop) Yes, I'm sure it's in the manual, but I haven't quite recovered enough from the remodel experience to locate the manual ... thanks for indulging me. PS, have used this for about three months and absolutely love it. We have a thermador downdraft behind it.

• alfie11
    15 years ago

I have had my Caldera 36" NG almost 2 years. Love the way it works and is easy to clean. However, in Sept. 2007 the large center grate broke. Talked to Al and he said it was designed poorly. High heat made it expand and break. Al sent me a replacement by UPS, it arrived broken. Notified Al and he said another would be sent. Have called and e-mailed every month since and have not received another replacement. It is now 1 year later and none of Caldera numbers work. Does anyone know where I can get replacement grate??? Thanks

• designerconcrete_comcast_net
    15 years ago

My grate broke or exploided last night. This could have been catastrophic. My entire family (15) were standing in and around the kitchen. I had just had this unit installed 2 weeks ago. I had to call the company just after installation because the center grate would bend during cooking. They told me they had design problems on the older units and would send me another grate. I said I just had this installed how could it be an older unit. They responded that it could have been sitting in a wharehouse and the new units have new grates. Well that would meen that there is no telling how old this unit is. I am very upset. My family could have been seriouly burned by the hot oil if I had been using a smaller pot or a fire could have been started. If they knew they had design problems they should have had a recall on the units! Today I recieved the new grate, it looks used and is a totally different design. I just bought this model, it has only been 2 weeks and someone could have been hurt really badly. This isn't fair considering that they knew that there were existing problems. My knobs were also wrong when they installed the unit, so I had to get new knobs. You will not be able to get them on and off to clean! They installers had to use pliers and major force to get the incorrect knobs off and I thought when they were putting on the new ones they were going to snap that black panel where the knobs sit. Other than feeling like the company knowingly put my family in a dangerious position and stated that they knew that there were design problems the cook top actually cooks good, but if they were willing to let the flawed units stay out there, that scared me! You can't buy new skin if you are burned. No amount of money or excuses can fix that, so why not just get all the older units with the older grates off the market? the number for Al is disconnected!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting