Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What comes first, the fabricator or material?

Posted by lovetodream (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 5, 12 at 15:05

Moving from cabinetry to countertops in my kitchen design....

We are our own GC's and I'm at a standstill on how to proceed finding a fabricator and countertop. We live in a small town and locally (outside of Lowe's), the only quotes I've gotten have been from cabinet guys throwing in a random price along with their cabinet quotes. We aren't using any of them to do the cabinets.

I found one fabricator about 30 minutes away (another small town). They use materials out of Atlanta (about 2 hours from us) and gave me a list of places I can go find the material I like, then they price it out for me. I'm not even sure I want to use them yet so I don't want to waste my time searching Atlanta stone places, only to get a quote way out of my budget. They had some reasonable ballparks (Level 1 granite would be around $40 sq/ft, so equal to Lowe's) but I plan to upgrade at least one level, maybe two, and I don't know how much they'll go up.

So how do you find stone without a fabricator when you're in a small town with limited choices? If I drive to Atlanta, I'm not sure who will install what I choose, outside of this one store. I'm not really sure how to shop around.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What comes first, the fabricator or material?

Some tile shops handle granite work (both in-house and using third-party stone yards) - call those in your area. Ask your neighbors for references of their contractors, then call the contractors to ask for their references for granite installation and stone yards. Get online and search - call contractors in your area and ask them questions. If you can drive to Atlanta, I'm sure you can find both stone yards and fabricators between your town and there. You may find companies that have their own stone yard and do fabrication as well.

o
RE: What comes first, the fabricator or material?

I am a fabricator. It's best if you can pick the fabricator 1st for the following reasons:

1. not all slab suppliers are equal. the fabricator will steer you to the supplier(s) that consistently have good quality stone. some suppliers have crap.

2. if the slab supplier is a long drive away it's important that the personnel at the slab warehouse point out to you features in the stone like cracks, fissures, fill, and surface irregularities that you would probably overlook but could make you very unhappy when you notice them in your recently installed expensive countertops. (don't ask me how I know this)

We accompany our customers to the slab place almost 100% of the time so we can show them BEFORE they pick the stone.

3. a good fabricator will prepare a "ballpark" quote and then quickly give you a revised price based on a particular stone. If they're good you'll be able to call them while you are at the stone place and get a price for a particualr stone in about 5 minutes. Alternatively, they can price several "levels" for you and in most cases you'll know within a couple of hundred dollars what a given price level of stone will be.

overall the stone is a critically important part of a countertop project and there are a lot of variables to consider. the slab supplier wants to sell stone and typically doesn't provide the coaching and information you need to make an informed decision. (unfortunately, a lot of fabricators don't either.)

for a simple example: the physical properties of some stones prohibit certain edge profiles. the personnel at the slab warehouse know nothing of this. A good fabricator will know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here