Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Do scratches on soapstone eventually 'oil' out?

Rudebekia
12 years ago

I have some shallow scratches on my soapstone due to a visitor cook who cut directly on it (ouch!). They are really not terrible so yes I can live with them. But my question is, why don't they turn darker when oiled? Does it take repeated oilings for the color change, or will they never darken? My soapstone is a dark greenish/black (Julia) and the scratches a light gray.

Comments (11)

• liriodendron
    12 years ago

If the scratches are very narrow (knife cuts) the oil may may have too much surface tension to get in. You could warm the oil to thin it slightly, use a solvent (possibly even warm water?) to disperse it, or maybe try dipping the tip of a toothpick in the oil and tracing the marks individually. Or even apply the oil to the area generally and then plunk a hot water bottle down on it to keep it warm as it creeps down into the scratches.

Test every possible solution discretely on a hidden area, first, before going over a larger, more visible area.

Do you have a scrap you can use as a guinea pig?

HTH,

L.

• cleo07
    12 years ago

I have a ton of scratches, dings and dents in my soapstone. My worst one is when my husband used a pizza cutter directly on the stone. It looks like a wagon wheel. Next time I oil I will sand it and it should disappear.

I have found that some scratches need to be sanded before oiling to take on the oil. And I don't mean sanding out the scratch completely but a quick scuff with sandpaper right on the scratch Also,I have about a dozen deeper dings that can't be sanded out so I used a dark gray sharpie in the bottom of the ding, then oiled.

• florida_joshua
    12 years ago

I have found the Julia quarry tended to be polished up pretty high. If you have soapstone that has a shiny surface and sand it, that spot will end up duller than the rest. Just wanted to give the heads up as I've been getting a lot of people that have had this problem the last couple weeks for some reason.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Honestly I'm scared to take sandpaper to it--for the reasons Josh states. I'd rather live with the scratches than have dull spots! liri, I will try your method of forcing the oil into the scratches. I guess I'm just surprised they don't instantly turn darker when oiled. For larger dings, I have used the black sharpie method to great success, but these scratches are too shallow and long to cover in that way.

• cotehele
    12 years ago

The soapstone in my kitchen is extremely soft, and me being klutzy by nature, you can imagine it has scratches and a few tiny divits. A bottle of oil with raised markings on the bottom sitting on the counter (not dragged across it) leaves a ring of marks. I have learned to use a towel or cutting board to minimize the damage to the soapstone. I use a combination of beeswax and oil when company is coming, otherwise it is rarely finished. Someone on this forum said they used a black sharpie to camouflage scratches. It works well. Eventually it fades and I do it again. But, I have never sanded the stone.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    12 years ago

See if you can get a spare piece to practice on. Get a couple of different grits of silicone carbide sandpaper such as 220,320,400. Replicate the scracthes you have and then try to take them out and finish with oil and beeswax.
    Should work fine and then you will never have to worry about scratches again.
    Stu Rosen
    www.mbstone.com
    www.stoneshine.com

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    12 years ago

None Taken!!
    That could be but I think he came around about soapstone.
    He speaks highly of it in his book. But as you know MB could change his opinion on a material quickly.
    Anyway whats not to like about soapstone.
    Most of the soapstone I see is honed. Pietra cardoso couldnt hold a candle to soapstone. I have worked on a lot of pietra some better than others but can stain easily if not sealed and has calcites.

• macybaby
    12 years ago

is there any particular sandpaper that can be recommended to use? My loving hubby bought me a Festool finish sander for Christmas, and I figured I could use that on the soapstone every couple of years if needed.

I've only had a few big scratches I needed to sand to deal with- one was I accidentally dragged something very heavy and put about a 2 foot scratch in it. Sanded lightly by hand and I can't see it, but I can feel where I sanded. That part does not bother me, house is 130 years old and I'm fine with the counter looking like it's been around a while.

• PRO
    Stoneshine
    12 years ago

Florida Joshua is right be careful with the sandpaper-always test the process on a spare piece. Dont use your countertop for experimenting. You will need to match the existing finish or you will need to do the entire piece.
    There are other sbrasive mediums that may be needed such as honing powders,diamond pads and or silicone carbide screens. The sandpaper we use is silicone carbide-alpha products are the brand we like. There are many different types of finishes that your countertop could have.
    That is why it is so important to test first and make sure you can match the finish and remove any profiles by using progressive grits. If you test and you cant get it you can always call a stone refinisher.
    Stu Rosen
    www.mbstonecare.com

• macybaby
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I live in the middle of SD so am pretty much on my own taking care of my countertop - unless I want to pay a huge amount to get someone to come out here.

But that is one of the reasons I went with soapstone in the first place - because I could deal with it myself.