Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Finished Kitchen~White, Marble, Soapstone

katieob
14 years ago

Hi all.

A huge thank you to everybody on this forum who helped graciously with advice, photos, experience & info. What an incredible resource this is. Shout outs to Erikanh & marthavila for hood help, willowdecor for tile, all the stoners, and many more.

We moved in last week-bottom trim on fridge & dw are still missing, excuse the messy bottoms.

I'll be happy to provide details if anyone wants them.

Thanks for looking!

{{gwi:1402447}}

{{gwi:1402445}}

{{gwi:1402444}}

Marble Close Up

{{!gwi}}

Soapstone Close Up

{{!gwi}}

Comments (162)

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Beautiful!
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist to give our permission. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• ds315
    14 years ago

My jaw dropped. The marble, the soapstone, that hood...oh my!

So beautiful - I read every comment and then kept going back to the pictures so I could see what all the readers pointed out

I hope you enjoy many happy years in this kitchen - it's beauiful, you did a wonderful job!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi

Thanks for the comments & warm words.

Lori~ Kitchen dimensions are (very) roughly 15 by 12.
    Island is 8 by 5 with 4 stools and a 20 inch seating overhang. Ours is definitely a monster, but I love the size.

sherri 09~ I went back & forth on the stain/painted white stair question. I am happy with the stain b/c it kind of grounds the light/open foyer. But, I still love the look of all white stairs. Maybe when sticky, little hands are no longer grappling the railing...

pps7~ The newel post is 8 inches & the spindles are 2 inches.

Here's a few more stair photos as requested:

HTH,
    Katie

• cheri127
    14 years ago

Katie, it's just beautiful in every way. Really breathtaking.

• robynkf
    14 years ago

Gorgeous! Katie - if not too much trouble, I hope you can still post some bathroom pics??!! :)

• PRO
    Skonovd Ranch
    14 years ago

Just one more person saying, "OMG!" Absolutely stunning kitchen. We are not even sheetrocking yet but you give me hope that we will be there someday. Thank you bunches for sharing, answering questions, posting pics. I am a lurker who just takes it all in but wow I had to come out and comment on your fabulous kitchen. Thanks, Andrea

• sherri_09
    14 years ago

Katie, thanks so much for taking the time to post more pics of your stairs. Your stairs, along w/the rest of your house are lovely! It also helps to know the size of your balusters. I was planning to go w/the 1 1/4", because the larger ones just looked too big. Yours look just right, though. One more question please...I know you used BM White Dove paint, but can you tell me what type of paint was used on the stairs? Was it oil or latex? What gloss level? Thanks again!

• fraren
    14 years ago

Did you hear me faint and hit the floor here in New Jersey?:-) What an amazing kitchen - and helps to know i'm on the right track. My kitchen is a work in progress and so similar!

Would LOVE for you to share some more info on the playroom rug. Thanks!!!

• adusey
    14 years ago

Katie
    Congrats on your beautiful kitchen! I love it! We are in the very early stages of building. I am planning white cabinets with dark island and white top. I love the marble-however I have been cautioned by many professionals that marble will absorb and cause staining. I am also expecting our first baby in March. I don't want the island countertop to be a constant worry. My heart would be broken if juice or something stained the marble. Any suggestions/comments??? Thanks so much!
    PS- I joined just to see your kitchen!!!!
    Congrats again!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi.

I never saw these last few questions. Sorry.

Sherri 09~ Thank you. I will ask our painter about the stairs. I truly have no clue.

Fraren~Hope you found the rug somewhere!

Robynkf~ I haven't forgotten! I will post a bathroom pic as soon as dh finishes hanging tissue paper holder, hooks, etc. It was supposed to be done before the holidays :)

adusey~Thank you! Originally, we were planning a dark island, too. At the last minute I switched to white because I couldn't figure out what to do about stools. I still love the dark island look...As for marble, I had the same reservations. We have a 3 year old & a 1 year old. I love the marble. It was sealed and hasn't stained at all-lots of entertaining, lots of kids, red sauce, juice, buffet style suppers on island etc. It has definitely etched. I am the only person who sees it. I am so glad the threat of etching didn't turn me off the marble. I say if you love it, go for it. Hone it, seal it, & enjoy it. Good luck.

Katie

• janeb_2008
    14 years ago

LOVE your kitchen! Is your trim BM White Dove as well as your cabinets? I am getting ready to paint my cabinets, and all of my trim is in BM Acadia White. I wonder if it will clash if I go with the white dove for the cabinets? Also, did you use oil or water-based paint on the cabs?

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

Katieob - How did I miss your stunning kitchen finally finshed!! You did a outstanding job!! Just fabulous!!! Really I LOVE IT!!!!!I am so happy for you!! GREAT JOB!!!!
    xoxo-Willow

• starpooh
    14 years ago

Hi Katie -
    Please don't make me grovel. :-(
    Your kitchen is so lovely that forum members will be inquiring about your details long after this post has disappeared. I would love to add your kitchen to the FKB. May I please? You can give your permission here and then submit the FKB Category Checklist whenever you get the chance.
    Thank you!

• somanychoices
    14 years ago

Love, love, love your kitchen - especially the marble and that beautiful hood. Also love everything else - the staircase is gorgeous. I think someone already said it, but swooon...:)

• amhplus4
    14 years ago

In a word...stunning. Amazing that you were the GC! Such fine attention to detail--beautiful movement of the calacatta, fabulously designed hood, perfectly selected hardware, and those runnels--beautiful! And by the way, no, I'm not experiencing white kitchen fatigue.

Congratulations. Well done!

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen, Katieob. Wish I had that kitchen. Beautiful job!

• sherwhy
    14 years ago

Hi Katie,

I have to tell you I love your kitchen. In fact it is my inspiration kitchen! We are building new but going for classic-timeless. You have designed my dream kitchen. Of course I can't have all the wonderful upgrades you have but a girl can dream right? My kitchen will be much smaller too. With building new comes all the wonderful decisions to make. It can be overwhelming at times. May I ask why you chose to go with that particular backsplash tile instead of daltile?

I'm considering doing 2" hex floor tile in bathrooms and laundry room. I believe you said you did this and I'm curious to know how you like it. I'd love to hear back from you.

Thanks,
    Sherry

• fraren
    14 years ago

Thanks again, Katie, for the rug info. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere! Even Pottery Barn Teen can't find it in their past catalogs - they went back to the beginning of 2008. If you ever come across it or have more detail about it, please pass it along. I would SO appreciate it, as I just LOVE it!

Best of luck in your gorgeous home - thanks again!

• chris11895
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen!! I have a question about your cabinets - what is the height of your bottom wall cabinets? Thanks in advance!

• dmwbcc
    14 years ago

I would need a thesaurus to come up with a word that hasn't been used here!!! SO, I TOO think it is GORGEOUS! Amazing. Beautiful. Light. Airy.

Can't wait to see more!

• janeb_2008
    14 years ago

LOVE your kitchen! Are the cabinets painted in oil or latex? Is all of your trim BM white dove too?

• adh673
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is amazing. Could you tell me what kind of cabinets you used? Also, what are the widths of your aisles and how deep is your island seating overhang?

Thanks!

• pirula
    14 years ago

The whole place is beautiful katieob. Sorry it's taken me so long to catch up and see your place. Gorgeous.

• semi
    14 years ago

It is always such a treat to see this beautiful kitchen, I think I have looked at it a dozen times! Katie you did a fabulous job and I hope you and your family are enjoying yummy meals, good health and happy times in it!

I am sure you already answered this one, but since the search function is a bit wonky these days, could you remind me of who your cabinet maker is?

Semi

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Now that is a knock-out white kitchen. Very classy and love the cabinets to the ceiling and the hood and the lights and the..... :-)

• azwildcats70
    14 years ago

Hi Katiebob,

What's the finish on your kitchen cabinets? Egg shell, semi gloss?

Thanks,
    CATS

• aokat15
    14 years ago

Hi katieob - Love love love your kitchen!!! I just had a quick question on your marble - did you stack a 2cm and 3cm slab to get the 5cm or did you find a slab that came in 5cm? Thanks!! So beautiful!!

• jeri
    14 years ago

KatieÂs is one of my favorite inspiration kitchens  I want mine to be just like hers when it grows up :-)

So I love it when this thread gets bumped and more questions are asked!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi aokat15~ Thank you! We were very lucky that the place right in our town had a 5 cm slab. Another option was to do a 2 or 3 cm & have the edges beefed up (laminated). I fell in love with the 5 cm, though.

Jeri~Thank you!

CATS~ I'm sorry-I don't know. The cabinetmaker sent the cabinets to be painted. I never asked.

sherwhy~I loved willowdecor's backsplash tile (crackle) so I copied hers! We went with 2 inch hex in the laundry room & 1 inch hex in the bathroom. I like the looks of the 1 inch hex better. More classic, in my opinion.

Semi~ I'm in MA and can get you the cabinetmaker's contact if you email me.

Thanks,
    Katie

• kitchenconfidential2
    14 years ago

You are the owner of my favorite Garden Web Kitchen! It's perfect.

• tyguy
    14 years ago

KATIEOB- First off love your kitchen. We are undertaking an entire gut job of our 1932 American Colonial home. The kitchen will be very similar to yours. Same cabinets and colour (even same furniture base on them), with soapstone counters and carrara marble on the dark stained island.

I have not been happy with the quality of the mechanisms from the latches i have seen from RH and a few other high end retailers here in Toronto.

They claim to be great quality, and they certainly are not cheap, so if you can verify the quality I have found the place I will purchase them.

• atd_oc
    14 years ago

It would sure be fun to prepare meals and host parties in your lovely new kitchen. I love all of your choices and agree that it is magazine perfect.

I will be anxious to hear if the pine floors are holding up well since it is a soft wood. You have kids and pets so I am sure it is tested daily.

• aokat15
    14 years ago

Also, I was just on the Rejuvenation website and see there are different size latches... would you mind sharing which ones you used? I love how understated they are. Thanks!!

• katieob
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi all.

kitchenconfidential2~Wow, so flattered! Thanks!

tyguy~Thank you. Your project sounds so great. We initially ordered the latches from RH, but they were poor quality so we got some from Rejuvenation. They are smooth. The ice box latches from Clifside Brass are good quality, too. Good luck.

aokat15~We got the small latches. Understated, perfect size.

atd oc~Thanks! We absolutely love the floors. Probably my favorite thing about the house. They take a beating and I don't care. They wear it so well. We opted for a matte finish & it hides a multitude of sins. In certain lights I can see light scratching from the dog (we play tug of war and fetch in the house) and kiddo toys. We plan to move within 2 years and I will definitely put these exact floors in our forever house. PS- Visitors LOVE the floors.
    Good luck!

• tejas914
    14 years ago

Your kitchen and home are incredible! Would you mind sharing details about the cabinet construction? What would was used and are the door hinges mortised or are they a wrap style? Thanks-

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

OMG!!! So gorgeous!! I love the marble center island and the hood is to die for!! I am drooling and want to re do my kitchen all over again!! Happy to help with the tile!! ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FABULOUS!!!!

• jenthehen
    13 years ago

Just wrote the first check to my contractor to do a similar kitchen. Yours is such an inspiration!!!!! My biggest worry is doing the marble counter on my island. Are they still holding up well? If so, then I might just go for it myself since I keep trying to find an alternative but nothing seems right!

• beths96
    13 years ago

This is my dream kitchen. Wow! Congratulations!!

• Megan Dippolito
    6 years ago

I just came across this feed... I am renovating my kitchen and am scrolling for pictures of white dove kitchens and noticed 150 comments ! are you able to share a picture as I am unable to see the previous ones posted 8 years ago !

• Love stone homes
    6 years ago

Hi Megan, may I suggest you start your own thread with your request. Rather than reviving a very old thread. Also, You may get more current pics and info.

• damiarain
    6 years ago

Also, if you google image search ‘gardenweb katieob kitchen’ you can find images to katie’s kitchen

• lisa_a
    6 years ago

I found 3 via a image search. Unfortunately, only 1 was a decent size, the other 2 are small. But it's better than nothing.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen!! It is almost a decade old and still looks perfect.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Just an FYI, this thread was the reveal for katieob's first GW ktichen, with a stainless barrel hood and soapstone. (Damn photobucket for the missing pics.) The recent pics posted are of her second kitchen, which is just as beautiful, but not as old. :)

• nhbaskets
    6 years ago

A little larger screenshot.

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    6 years ago

mamagoose, you're right, that's what I get for multitasking : ) .

Here are some more, I remembered this from another thread,

https://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/40-Evelyn-Way_Canton_MA_02021_M39451-80415#photo6

• lisa_a
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'd forgotten she has remodeled two kitchens! Thanks, mamagoose and nhbaskets!

• Laura
    6 years ago

katieob is kind of a badass. Those are two beautiful kitchens!

• Ranch Mom
    6 years ago

I realize this is an old thread but thank you for pulling this forward. This is one beautiful kitchen. It also gives me so much peace for my layout. Thank you