Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Finished Kitchen~White, Marble, Soapstone

Posted by katieob (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 4, 09 at 14:57

Hi all.

A huge thank you to everybody on this forum who helped graciously with advice, photos, experience & info. What an incredible resource this is. Shout outs to Erikanh & marthavila for hood help, willowdecor for tile, all the stoners, and many more.

We moved in last week-bottom trim on fridge & dw are still missing, excuse the messy bottoms.

I'll be happy to provide details if anyone wants them.

Thanks for looking!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Marble Close Up

Photobucket

Soapstone Close Up

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished Kitchen~White, Marble, Soapstone

OMG!!! Katie, it is just absolutely perfect in every way. The fabulousness of your marble...the fantastic soapstone...the hood...the floors...the Benson pendants...I just love every detail. It is an instant GW CLASSIC!

Enjoy every minute and thanks for posting so many amazing shots.

Eliz

o

Katieob,

You must be so excited!! Your kitchen looks beautiful!! Very, very nice..........congrats!

o

Perfectly beautiful!!

o

Looks straight off a magazine cover or kitchen book. It's beautiful. The island stools are the perfect addition to add warmth and grounding. I think I love the area we can barely see behind your stove wall. :-)

o

Stunning! Details, details, details? Please.

What height is your ceiling, BTW?

Thanks - Jo Ann

o

I can only echo the word that others have already used - Perfect! I was not prepared for that first gorgeous photo. Love the hood, love the soapstone, love the marble, love the hardware. Unbelievable job. The whole space looks amazing.

o

just lovely - thanks for posting! and yes, detail, what is over, what is that gorgeous hood, what is fridge

L

o

Wow. Wow. Wow! I just knew your kitchen was going to be fabulous, Katie. But . . . . there is nothing like seeing the whole masterpiece all put together. You go girl! That is one spectacularly gorgeous, wonderfully organized, magazine-worthy, eat your heart out (and your waist-line, of course)kitchen! I could drool over this all day. My,my my. By all means, take a bow. Take several bows. And, yes, share the details!

o

And what are the floors? I love the variation. Such a great warm counterpoint. Looks ready to roll cookie dough... gingerbread? Enjoy!!

o

I love the corner cabinet; I love the latches on the doors; I love the paint color & marble & soapstone, of course.

I hate to be a pest, but would you mind posting a picture that shows the half wall to what I assume is the family room. I plan on having a half walls between the kitchen/breakfast banquette and our keeping room, so I'm looking for trim details (and also how to flow the color).

Thanks, so much. Your kitchen is just grand.

o

Loverly... loverly..

perfection and class. the black and white and the floor work so well together.

Beautiful !

o

Classic, lovely, and done before Christmas? Really excellent.

o

Katie, It's gorgeous! Each step along the way, it grew more perfect and now the grand finale! Of course, we want details. A dream kitchen. I think the magazines will be calling on this one! Hope it brings you much cooking enjoyment and happy family memories.

o

W O W!!! So many things to love. I'm coveting your soapstone. The corner display cabinet is a nice touch.

Incredible job, well done!

o

Breathtaking and lovely! The veining through your (calcutta?) marble makes my heart beat a bit faster. :) Enjoy it all and happy holidays in your new kitchen!

o

Sleek and lucious! I just want to lick the marble and those striking cabinets. You must be so thrilled. Congrats!!!!

o

Beautiful! I especially love your gorgeous island, and the way you kept things simple and understated. While I'm a huge fan of detailed behind-the-stove tilework, your simple splash is exactly right for your soothing space. (I'd have been unable to resist mucking it up!)

o

I love you kitchen! Your soapstone and marble is sooo beautiful.

o

I have been waiting to see this kitchen and while I knew it would be incredible, it is even so much better than I could have anticipated! You have done such an amazing job --- I love the beautiful cabinets, the colors, the pulls, the layout, and also the classic trim/ millwork that all flows so well in your space. The rest of your home looks so amazing as well from the little teeny-tiny glimpses visible in the kitchen pics. Congratulations and enjoy!

o

katie - Congratulations! I remember when you were just getting started! That Calacatta is delicious! So happy you are in for the holidays - ENJOY all that gourmet cooking you're gonna be doing!

o

Really very stunning! Love your soapstone, marble, classic details and paint color transitions. Love the light in your home! Congratulations on your gorgeous kitchen! (Would love to read about the details!)

o

Ooooh, I've been waiting to see the finished product! Beautiful!

o

WOW!! Just fantastic! I love it all - the cabinets, the hardware, the range hood, the pendants, and especially the soapstone and marble!!! It's beautiful, as are the parts of the other rooms that I can see in the pictures. The floor is such a wonderful contrast to the white. Looks like a kitchen to cook lots of wonderful things in.

Congratulations!

o

Katieob - Gorgeous with a capital G!!! I love it. What is the neutral paint colour in the rest of the house? What about the blue paint in the kitchen?

Amazing!!!!

o

Beautiful!!! I echo what everyone else said.

Could you share where you bought your chairs please?

o

Elegant, divine and heavenly all rolled into one
lovely kitchen.
Good job.

o

Katie! It's so fresh and beautiful. You are very generous to post finished photos when you must be so busy from the move and the holidays and your young family. Your marble is amazing. Congratulations!

o

OMG gorgeous. I love the juxtaposition of the brown island chairs against the cream cabinets and marble. And yes, we do want details. Also, have you used it yet, taken it for a spin? If so, how was it?

o

I rarely write on this forum, but am a daily lurker. I LOVE your kitchen and would like ALL the details!

o

Oh WOW! What a spectcular kitchen you did! I love it all, the incredible hood, the wowzer marble (esp. the beautiful river-vein across the island), the pendants, the glass cab in the corner, the hardware, the bumped out window, the soapstone perimeter, the perfect stools, and the wonderful floor. It just couldn't be any prettier or more inviting. Elegant and homey at the same time, what a feat! May you and your family make many loving years of memories in there. Did I say that I love it!

o

Stunning kitchen! You must be very pleased. Enjoy your lovely kitchen.

o

Another vote for AMAZING! I love the look, so warm, just beautiful. Congrats!

o

Love every single inch!!! Congrats on being able to realize your dream...that's really what it is - a dream:) Enjoy it for years to come!

Apple

o

Beautiful kitchen, well done. Congratulations!

o

I think all the superlatives have been said ... your kitchen is absolutely lovely.

o

Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!

o

I want to eat your soapstone for dinner and then have your vent hood for dessert.

o

In my early planning stages, your kitchen is what I longed for...especially the Calacatta marble. How gorgeous everything is. What an elegant, lovely, serene space. Wow.

o

congratulations katie! it's smashing! i want to see the rest of the house -did you post over on the other board? details please, and MORE pics!

o

This is absolutely beautiful and homey at the same time. You did a great job!

o

It is gorgeous. Great job!

o

Wow. What a lovely kitchen. Beautiful proportions, fine detail, classic white. I really like it.

o

Wow! Beautiful kitchen. Gorgeous home! Could we PLEASE see more pictures of the adjoining room?

o

As with Traci's kitchen, I had to sneak back in and say...LOVE your kitchen Katie! Everything came together perfectly and it just looks amazing!!! Like Marybeth1, I want to see MORE MORE MORE, it all looks so great and I'm sure you are excited to be able to decorate it all and cook in that gorgeous kitchen for the holidays...how fun!! Enjoy!

Kat :)

o

Gorgeous! Very inspiring and I love the reserved attitude you have about not using too many different elements. Well done!

o

I just LOVE your kitchen from that gorgeous range, that gorgeous range hood, the beautiful soapstone and marble used, the lighting, the accessories like that plate that matches so well, the gorgeous floor, the corner cabinets with the glass doors, the creamy color of the cabinets that go so well with the counters, the beautiful microwave drawers, and your backsplash that goes so well. Thanks for sharing and may you enjoy your beautiful and functional kitchen for many years to come.

o

Wow! Your kitchen is breathtakingly beautiful. Classic and
classy! Please share details with us.

o

Wowsa wowsa!! What an incredible kitchen! Everything is just perfect.

What a beautiful and interesting wall of baskets. I want to see what's inside of them! Love the way the baskets pick up the color of the floor.

I love the stacked cabinets and hardware! Everything is gorgeous.

Congratulations and wishes for many happy memories.

o

A Class Act. Stunning. Congratulations.

And wish you many years of well deserved enjoyment.

o

Great Googly Moogly! That is gorgeous!

You must be soooo happy! Congrats and enjoy your absolutely delicious new space!

o

WOW - Absolutely beautiful, what more is there to say. You did a fabulous job.

o

What a beautiful kitchen. Don't have much to add to what others have already said but magnifique!!.

o

so. well. done. Your attention to detail is what makes this kitchen for me, every element looks as though it is married to the whole. I LOVE it!

o
katieob- what is that great hood?

love, love, love the kitchen! can you (or anyone) tell me who makes the hood (and range)

thx

L

o

It is amazing.. can you please give more information about the hood? Thanks Amanda

o

Stunning! I love every detail. Amazing job! Congratulations and enjoy!

o

Absolutely beautiful. Enjoy!

o

Good Morning~

Wow-thank you for your wonderful feedback! It means a lot. We acted as our own GC on this build & had no kitchen designer, so I was really flying by the seat of my pants. We did find an amazing cabinetmaker and I couldn't be happier with his work. I'll reiterate it-this forum was amazingly helpful.

Here are the details below. I will post some more photos of the adjoining rooms and half walls (drjoann) during the week as I unpack & organize. The room with the baskets is the playroom and our carpenter built the built in based on a Pottery Barn Kids picture. Rhome, the area behind the range wall is a mudroom with lockers & cubbies. We moved from a 2 bedroom in the city so I often just wander into the mudroom and stare. LOVE IT.

Any questions or details I miss, please just ask. I'm happy to answer anything.

Ceiling height is 9 and a half feet

Floors: 8 inch heart pine, tung oil & satin finish

Cabinets: Local cabinetmaker. Inset, shaker style with single bead in Ben Moore White Dove

Perimeter Counter: Soapstone (Green Mountain Original)
Island Counter: Calacatta Marble (Honed, 5cm)

Backsplash: Horus Art Tiffany (crackle, bianco)

Pendants: Restoration Hardware Benson (smallest size)

Hardware: Cup pulls are RH Gilmore, pulls are RH Aubrey, latches are Rejuvenation, and ice box latches are Clifside Brass. All are polished nickel.

Stools: Holsag Bulldog in Heritage Walnut (online through cymax.com)

Hood: Modernaire PS 26 (42 inches, 18 inches height)
Contact person was Pat Hartman

Range: Thermador Pro Harmony 36

Microwave: Sharp Drawer

Refrigerator: Sub Zero 42 inch Side by Side

Dishwasher: Fisher & Paykel double drawers

Sink: Shaw's 30 inch

Faucet: Rohl (modern architectural series)

Potfiller: Perrin & Rowe Country series

Thanks for looking!
Katie

o

Great job! I also love the lighting...natural and planned. Enjoy your beautiful new space!

o

What a truly beautiful, classic kitchen. I especially LOVE your hood! Enjoy...

Nicole

o

Katie - thank you so much for all of the info. Sorry to bug you when you are so busy, but your kitchen (& what we can see of the rest of the house) just resonated so strongly with me. We're close to beginning the build on our "New Old House" & I feel as if I could drop your kitchen into it and be happy forever.

All the best to you and your family in the new home - Jo Ann

P.S. - we still have plenty of time before we have to get to a real detailed level on the trim, but your pictures just thrilled me. We're going to have 6' recessed panel wainscoting in our dining room and similar style cabinet, so I am really interested to see some of the trimwork in the rooms adjacent to your lovely kitchen.

o

Everything is absolutely beautiful and I echo all the comments above. Thank you for the details.

However, may I ask a question about the colors you used for paint both in the small painted area in the kitchen and also the colors you used in the adjoining rooms. The colors are so soft and work really well together.

Thanks again for sharing your project.

o

A simply beautiful kitchen!!!! LOVE, LOVE the island counter. Looks like a fabulous space. So bright!! Enjoy your new home.....

o

Lovely, lovely choices! Your spaces are absolutely beautiful.

o

Katie, this kitchen is stunning. So elegant. I especially love the way the veining echoes from the marble to the soapstone. All your hardwork has paid off and now you can look around and enjoy your holidays.

o

Magazine worthy! So elegant, yet comfortable in every detail. Congratulations on making this dream come true!

o

*sharp intake of breath, heart beating faster*......Ahhh, this is one of those kitchens that does that! Simply stunning!

o

Beautiful!!! Congrats!

o

oh, Oh, OH.....I'm feeling faint.

pup

o

Don't your 'nanas get hot? Just kidding, it's heavenly.

Christine

o

Love your white kitchen. It is amazing that there is so much white, and yet it is warm and creamy (and not yellow-creamy)! It is bright and elegant too. Great balance. Very pretty. Of course, I don't think I have ever seen Calacutta marble that I didn't love. That island is beautiful!!! I hope I can finish my kitchen soon and feel that the white is also so warm and homey!

o

I'm wiping the drool off my keyboard. It's gorgeous! Fantastic job! I love everything about it.

o

so bright and warm....I love the soapstone combined with white cabinets. Congrats!
Paula

o

Katie - your kitchen is sooooo lovely! your whole house looks gorgeous - like right out of a Restoration Hardware or Pottery Barn catalog! Like others on here, I would love to see photos of other rooms in your home. We have such similar taste I would LOVE to see a picture of your ensuite and kids baths...!

Also - can you tell me what paint colours you used (in the kitchen and in the background rooms you can see in a few of the pics)? I recall (from a previous post) one of the more blue tone colours you used was Wickham Gray, but it looks like you used other colours?

o

Had to come back for a second look. And I am looking forward to more pics. You really have made some great choices!
Is the glass in the cabinets, a clear glass or is it tinted? I was thinking to do something seeded, textured, or even tinted, but haven't found anyone local with much choices.
I am getting anxious to finish my kitchen now, so I was thinking I might get a clear glass from a local glass shop.
Thanks.

o

I've been waiting for your kitchen to be done and it's just gorgeous! I'm also so impressed you GC'd the house yourselves- the whole thing looks beautiful!

2 questions-
1. How did you ever resolve your issue with the height of the rangetop and the vent hood distance from it?
2. Paint color? I've several shades of something similar on my wall right now, trying to decide!

o

Wow, it is simply beautiful.

o

I literally gasped when I saw this. It's stunningly beautiful!

You must be so happy. I love the way that every detail works together.

o

Elegant simplicity. Lucky you!

o

Katie, what color is the paint in your kitchen (gray/blue) and the room outside the kitchen? I'm assuming your used the White Dove throughout your house. I just can't stop looking at your kitchen. It is so gorgeous and yet warm, bright and welcoming. One of the best I've seen.

o

Sigh! I just keep coming back to gaze on your photos "one more time." Perfect.

o

Love the marble on the island - I'm trying to talk DH into something like that, and he thought yours looked very nice.

When we went to look at marble he picked out Rainforest Green as his number One choice, and white as the last.

o

Hi all.

Thanks for the continued warm words. Much appreciated.

Niffy~Good memory on the range/hood height dilemma. My dh & I took the feet off the range (Lucy & Ethel episode) and gained half an inch. Still haven't managed to get the feet back on...

Pluckymama~ Thanks so much!

Robynkf~ Wow-flattered. I will definitely post pics of those rooms when they are acceptable for viewing :)

The blueish paint color in the kitchen above the sink & adjoining family room is BM Wickham Grey. The greyish color on the wall leading to mudroom, the playroom & the foyer is all BM Edgecomb Grey.

Thanks again for looking!
Katie

o

So pretty ... I love my new kitchen too, but yours gives me hood envy. :-)

o
also

... not only hood but inset envy. That was one place we had to cut back (but the way our cabinets worked out, inset wouldn't have had the same impact as in many other kitchens).

o

Oh I just LOVE it - so stunning! Well done with everything, what a wonderful kitchen!

o

Stunning! It does not feel cold at all, very warm and inviting. It is truly beautiful. Congratulations!

I am wondering how you managed your hood inspection issue in the end - did you have to put a temporary hood in? Hope that was all OK.

o

Just too beautiful for words. You did an amazing job!

Any hints about the hood? I just had the Modernaire people come out last week to measure so I'm just beginning with them and am hoping to get the same polished and brushed hood that you and Erikah have.

Is that a 24" Sharp micro drawer? I was considering the 30" but recently changed to the 24" and am wondering if the one pictured is 24".

Again, you must be SOOOO excited to be in!

o

Katie, I would have never guessed that color as Edgecomb Gray. In the pics it almost looked like Manchester Tan on my monitor. How did you decide to transition the Edgecomb gray from inside the kitchen to the other rooms? It's really lovely how the Edgecomb gray and Wickham gray go together. Just shows you that grays in a windowed room can look so bright and happy!

o

Katie - oculd you please tell me what you used for undercab lighting? We are looking at soapstone/honed granite counters and I love the way yours looks...thank yo!

Your kitchen is truly timeless & beautiful!!! Very nicely done! We are acting as our own GC as well - it's been an adventure - we are close - cabinets go in the 18th-23rd. I can't wait!

o

I thought it was Manchester tan too! So funny, I have so many paint samples, and want it to like like it does on your walls! I thought I had the perfect color for me (Manchester tan), but perhaps I haven't gone "grey" enough! All of your colors are so beautiful together. I have revisited this post so many times, and each time I notice a new detail. I am so impressed that you GC'ed it, as you've thought of everything! Congratulations (again).

o

Delicious! Your kitchen is an inspiration. I just added it to my favorites folder.

o

Hi all.

Drjoann~ The "old, new house" was exactly what I was going for! I'd be glad to talk trim with you when your time comes! So happy our photos resonated with you. Made my day.

These half walls make the corner where kitchen/playroom & family room meet. There is another half wall w/out shelves on the left opening to the family room & one w/ shelves on the right opening to the playroom. Does that make any sense? Excuse the playroom mess & the underenthused model. That corner is his "spot".

Photobucket

Pluckymama & mythreesons~ The paint choices can make your head spin! Manchester Tan & Revere Pewter were on the short list. However, I really wanted more grey than taupe/tan. I tried to give you an idea of the Edgecomb on a dull, winter day today since the kitchen photos were on a bright, sunny day. We did Edgecomb everywhere on the first floor except the Wickham Grey in the family room and BM Abingdon Putty in the dining room (which is not visible from the family room/wickham grey).
Hope I'm making some kind of sense...

Stairway with just natural light (Edgecomb)

Photobucket

Transition from Edgecomb to Abingdon Putty (with only sconce lighting)

Photobucket

ktrud~Undercab lighting is NSL Xenon Task lighting. Good luck!

HTH,
Katie

o

Katie-Your kitchen is absolutely marvelous! You should be so proud. I looked to yours (sight unseen) for a lot of my inspiration. Congratulations!

o

Oh...what a great gift. To be able celebrate the holidays in that amazing space!! I can imagine baking in there with the kids running around in their pajamas and music playing! Such a warm and oh so inviting space. Beautiful.

o

Katie, I love your colors and your house. It does look like a pottery barn house and I adore pottery barn. Your floors are so warm and rustic looking. They are perfect for a family and just ad so much to your space. I have never seen Edgecomb gray painted before and it looks wonderful. The Abington Putty is gorgeous as well and the Wickham gray. You should post over in Home Decorating as well. People over there are always requesting to see paint colors and your kitchen would be a big hit!

o

Stunning! That range hood and your choice of countertops really make this kitchen sing. Great job!

o

Beautiful! I love the details (like the yellow teapot) that give your fabulous kitchen its charm, too.

What a fun rug in your playroom!!

o

Katie - thank you so much for the picture of the half wall. I also plan on having bookcases on the keeping room side and I love the beadboard and the recessed panel trim.

I can show a picture of your staircase to a builder and they will know what I want. Also, the window with the transom is lovely. Our guest bedroom will be like that except it will be a bay window with a window seat. Its nice to know that it will be so pretty.

Thanks, again, for taking the time and I will take you up on your offer to discuss trim in the future.

Jo Ann

P.S. I would urge you to post over on Decorating since I've already learned so much from a few pictures.

o

Your kitchen is gorgeous!! Clean, fresh and also warm and inviting--perfect!! Congratulations!!

o

Just BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

o

So gorgeous! Don't forget about pics of the bathrooms!!! heehee .... i am guessing hex tiles somewhere? and more marble??? it really looks beautiful and so well done....

o

Beautiful! Great layout and it all looks so bright and airy!

o

Swooooooooooooon! I'm in love!

o

Thanks all.

Robynkf~ I'll try to get a photo of the kids' bath tomorrow. Yup, hex tile :) No marble in there, though, sorry.

Katie

o

Katie, your kitchen and entire home are absolutely stunning. I know you've answered many questions, and I hope this is a new one. Could you please tell me the dimensions of your island and kitchen? I will be having an L shaped kitchen too, and I am planning a rectangular island. I'm trying to visualize how many people will fit comfortably sitting as well as how deep I should make the island. I don't want the kiddies too close or too far away if you know what I mean. I also don't want the island to look like this big monster in the kitchen. Thanks and enjoy your beautiful home. We're just at the beginning, and there's already WAY too much stress. I can't wait to be where you are.

Thanks,
Lori

o

Wow! I absolutely LOVE what you have done. I am just starting to look around and think about a kitchen remodel which is a long way off (it's fun to look, though.) You are my first clipping and I'm not sure I'll be able to top your kitchen! And thanks for all the details.

o

Congratulations on a job well done!! Your kitchen and whole house are just gorgeous!! I mainly frequent the bath forum, but came across one of your posts when I was doing a search on stairs. I fell in love w/your house and have been following it's progress. I'm so happy you were able to get moved in before the holidays! The next time you are taking pics, would you mind including another shot of your stairs? I also have light hardwood floors, and am planning on either staining my handrail darker or painting it white. Are you happy w/your decision to stain your handrail? It looks beatiful in the pic you posted. Thanks for sharing your beautiful home w/us and being so generous w/all the details!

o

Katie,
I love the paneling going up your stairs. How do you do that? I'd love to have my DH treat our front stairway like that. We did bead board going up the new stairs in the addition. But I like the wainscoating (is that what it's called?) for the front stairs. Just beautiful . . . I love all the details of your home. And a playroom off of the kitchen - how wonderful! Enjoy the moments each day raising your family in that spectacular home.

o

Katie - you should be so proud, you and your DH did such a fabulous job and you have such a truly beautiful kitchen and home! I don't know if you work outside the home, but you could easily move into the design world! Love it!

o

Great job on a fabulous kitchen! Just in time for the holidays too! Would love to see more pics of the house in general too :)

Love your style. Thanks for sharing.

o

Katie, do you mind sharing the size of your stair spindles? I love the plain square wood painted spindles!!!

I also love your wainscoating!!!

o

Beautiful!
May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist to give our permission. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

o

My jaw dropped. The marble, the soapstone, that hood...oh my!

So beautiful - I read every comment and then kept going back to the pictures so I could see what all the readers pointed out

I hope you enjoy many happy years in this kitchen - it's beauiful, you did a wonderful job!

o

Hi

Thanks for the comments & warm words.

Lori~ Kitchen dimensions are (very) roughly 15 by 12.
Island is 8 by 5 with 4 stools and a 20 inch seating overhang. Ours is definitely a monster, but I love the size.

sherri 09~ I went back & forth on the stain/painted white stair question. I am happy with the stain b/c it kind of grounds the light/open foyer. But, I still love the look of all white stairs. Maybe when sticky, little hands are no longer grappling the railing...

pps7~ The newel post is 8 inches & the spindles are 2 inches.

Here's a few more stair photos as requested:

Photobucket

Photobucket

HTH,
Katie

o

Katie, it's just beautiful in every way. Really breathtaking.

o

Gorgeous! Katie - if not too much trouble, I hope you can still post some bathroom pics??!! :)

o

Just one more person saying, "OMG!" Absolutely stunning kitchen. We are not even sheetrocking yet but you give me hope that we will be there someday. Thank you bunches for sharing, answering questions, posting pics. I am a lurker who just takes it all in but wow I had to come out and comment on your fabulous kitchen. Thanks, Andrea

o

Katie, thanks so much for taking the time to post more pics of your stairs. Your stairs, along w/the rest of your house are lovely! It also helps to know the size of your balusters. I was planning to go w/the 1 1/4", because the larger ones just looked too big. Yours look just right, though. One more question please...I know you used BM White Dove paint, but can you tell me what type of paint was used on the stairs? Was it oil or latex? What gloss level? Thanks again!

o

Did you hear me faint and hit the floor here in New Jersey?:-) What an amazing kitchen - and helps to know i'm on the right track. My kitchen is a work in progress and so similar!

Would LOVE for you to share some more info on the playroom rug. Thanks!!!

o

Katie
Congrats on your beautiful kitchen! I love it! We are in the very early stages of building. I am planning white cabinets with dark island and white top. I love the marble-however I have been cautioned by many professionals that marble will absorb and cause staining. I am also expecting our first baby in March. I don't want the island countertop to be a constant worry. My heart would be broken if juice or something stained the marble. Any suggestions/comments??? Thanks so much!
PS- I joined just to see your kitchen!!!!
Congrats again!

o

Hi.

I never saw these last few questions. Sorry.

Sherri 09~ Thank you. I will ask our painter about the stairs. I truly have no clue.

Fraren~Hope you found the rug somewhere!

Robynkf~ I haven't forgotten! I will post a bathroom pic as soon as dh finishes hanging tissue paper holder, hooks, etc. It was supposed to be done before the holidays :)

adusey~Thank you! Originally, we were planning a dark island, too. At the last minute I switched to white because I couldn't figure out what to do about stools. I still love the dark island look...As for marble, I had the same reservations. We have a 3 year old & a 1 year old. I love the marble. It was sealed and hasn't stained at all-lots of entertaining, lots of kids, red sauce, juice, buffet style suppers on island etc. It has definitely etched. I am the only person who sees it. I am so glad the threat of etching didn't turn me off the marble. I say if you love it, go for it. Hone it, seal it, & enjoy it. Good luck.

Katie

o

LOVE your kitchen! Is your trim BM White Dove as well as your cabinets? I am getting ready to paint my cabinets, and all of my trim is in BM Acadia White. I wonder if it will clash if I go with the white dove for the cabinets? Also, did you use oil or water-based paint on the cabs?

o

Katieob - How did I miss your stunning kitchen finally finshed!! You did a outstanding job!! Just fabulous!!! Really I LOVE IT!!!!!I am so happy for you!! GREAT JOB!!!!
xoxo-Willow

o

Hi Katie -
Please don't make me grovel. :-(
Your kitchen is so lovely that forum members will be inquiring about your details long after this post has disappeared. I would love to add your kitchen to the FKB. May I please? You can give your permission here and then submit the FKB Category Checklist whenever you get the chance.
Thank you!

o

Love, love, love your kitchen - especially the marble and that beautiful hood. Also love everything else - the staircase is gorgeous. I think someone already said it, but swooon...:)

o

In a word...stunning. Amazing that you were the GC! Such fine attention to detail--beautiful movement of the calacatta, fabulously designed hood, perfectly selected hardware, and those runnels--beautiful! And by the way, no, I'm not experiencing white kitchen fatigue.

Congratulations. Well done!

o

I love your kitchen, Katieob. Wish I had that kitchen. Beautiful job!

o

Hi Katie,

I have to tell you I love your kitchen. In fact it is my inspiration kitchen! We are building new but going for classic-timeless. You have designed my dream kitchen. Of course I can't have all the wonderful upgrades you have but a girl can dream right? My kitchen will be much smaller too. With building new comes all the wonderful decisions to make. It can be overwhelming at times. May I ask why you chose to go with that particular backsplash tile instead of daltile?

I'm considering doing 2" hex floor tile in bathrooms and laundry room. I believe you said you did this and I'm curious to know how you like it. I'd love to hear back from you.

Thanks,
Sherry

o

Thanks again, Katie, for the rug info. Unfortunately I can't find it anywhere! Even Pottery Barn Teen can't find it in their past catalogs - they went back to the beginning of 2008. If you ever come across it or have more detail about it, please pass it along. I would SO appreciate it, as I just LOVE it!

Best of luck in your gorgeous home - thanks again!

o

Beautiful kitchen!! I have a question about your cabinets - what is the height of your bottom wall cabinets? Thanks in advance!

o

I would need a thesaurus to come up with a word that hasn't been used here!!! SO, I TOO think it is GORGEOUS! Amazing. Beautiful. Light. Airy.

Can't wait to see more!

o

LOVE your kitchen! Are the cabinets painted in oil or latex? Is all of your trim BM white dove too?

o

Your kitchen is amazing. Could you tell me what kind of cabinets you used? Also, what are the widths of your aisles and how deep is your island seating overhang?

Thanks!

o

The whole place is beautiful katieob. Sorry it's taken me so long to catch up and see your place. Gorgeous.

o

It is always such a treat to see this beautiful kitchen, I think I have looked at it a dozen times! Katie you did a fabulous job and I hope you and your family are enjoying yummy meals, good health and happy times in it!

I am sure you already answered this one, but since the search function is a bit wonky these days, could you remind me of who your cabinet maker is?

Semi

o

Now that is a knock-out white kitchen. Very classy and love the cabinets to the ceiling and the hood and the lights and the..... :-)

o

Hi Katiebob,

What's the finish on your kitchen cabinets? Egg shell, semi gloss?

Thanks,
CATS

o

Hi katieob - Love love love your kitchen!!! I just had a quick question on your marble - did you stack a 2cm and 3cm slab to get the 5cm or did you find a slab that came in 5cm? Thanks!! So beautiful!!

o

Katies is one of my favorite inspiration kitchens I want mine to be just like hers when it grows up :-)

So I love it when this thread gets bumped and more questions are asked!

o

Hi aokat15~ Thank you! We were very lucky that the place right in our town had a 5 cm slab. Another option was to do a 2 or 3 cm & have the edges beefed up (laminated). I fell in love with the 5 cm, though.

Jeri~Thank you!

CATS~ I'm sorry-I don't know. The cabinetmaker sent the cabinets to be painted. I never asked.

sherwhy~I loved willowdecor's backsplash tile (crackle) so I copied hers! We went with 2 inch hex in the laundry room & 1 inch hex in the bathroom. I like the looks of the 1 inch hex better. More classic, in my opinion.

Semi~ I'm in MA and can get you the cabinetmaker's contact if you email me.

Thanks,
Katie

o

You are the owner of my favorite Garden Web Kitchen! It's perfect.

o

KATIEOB- First off love your kitchen. We are undertaking an entire gut job of our 1932 American Colonial home. The kitchen will be very similar to yours. Same cabinets and colour (even same furniture base on them), with soapstone counters and carrara marble on the dark stained island.

I have not been happy with the quality of the mechanisms from the latches i have seen from RH and a few other high end retailers here in Toronto.

They claim to be great quality, and they certainly are not cheap, so if you can verify the quality I have found the place I will purchase them.

o

It would sure be fun to prepare meals and host parties in your lovely new kitchen. I love all of your choices and agree that it is magazine perfect.

I will be anxious to hear if the pine floors are holding up well since it is a soft wood. You have kids and pets so I am sure it is tested daily.

o

Also, I was just on the Rejuvenation website and see there are different size latches... would you mind sharing which ones you used? I love how understated they are. Thanks!!

o

Hi all.

kitchenconfidential2~Wow, so flattered! Thanks!

tyguy~Thank you. Your project sounds so great. We initially ordered the latches from RH, but they were poor quality so we got some from Rejuvenation. They are smooth. The ice box latches from Clifside Brass are good quality, too. Good luck.

aokat15~We got the small latches. Understated, perfect size.

atd oc~Thanks! We absolutely love the floors. Probably my favorite thing about the house. They take a beating and I don't care. They wear it so well. We opted for a matte finish & it hides a multitude of sins. In certain lights I can see light scratching from the dog (we play tug of war and fetch in the house) and kiddo toys. We plan to move within 2 years and I will definitely put these exact floors in our forever house. PS- Visitors LOVE the floors.
Good luck!

o

Your kitchen and home are incredible! Would you mind sharing details about the cabinet construction? What would was used and are the door hinges mortised or are they a wrap style? Thanks-

o

OMG!!! So gorgeous!! I love the marble center island and the hood is to die for!! I am drooling and want to re do my kitchen all over again!! Happy to help with the tile!! ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY FABULOUS!!!!

o

Just wrote the first check to my contractor to do a similar kitchen. Yours is such an inspiration!!!!! My biggest worry is doing the marble counter on my island. Are they still holding up well? If so, then I might just go for it myself since I keep trying to find an alternative but nothing seems right!

o

This is my dream kitchen. Wow! Congratulations!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here