Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexx_gw

Help pick backsplash...going for clean and classic

alexx
11 years ago

Hi again,
I've got off white (coconut), shaker cabinets (the ones in the picture are the right color but not the style.) The floor is a ceramic wood looking floor (the rest of our house is saltillo tile), and the counter (the tiny square) is Silestone Altair.

I used to think I wanted glass subway 3x6, but I just haven't found the color that wows me. My husband really likes them too. I'm attaching two photos (one to follow in the next post since I can't figure out how to do 2 pics). One is a light blue (on left) and the other is a blueish grey subway tile.

The other option is a green ceramic tile--it is not minty like the pic indicates but more earthy green.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments (23)

• alexx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the green ceramic tile (and in the first picture in real life, the blue is much paler.)

And in real life this green is not as minty.

THANKS!

• springroz
    11 years ago

I love that green! It is so fresh!

Nancy

• ck_squared
    11 years ago

I also love the green ceramic tile.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love that green tile but sounds like you are just getting started - so I would recommend waiting until after the kitchen is assembled before making your decision.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

The green sings to me! That was the color I originally wanted inmy master shower. Love your finishes.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

I love the green, especially with the other materials you have, but usually there are people that love either green OR blue... Do you like both equally?

These will all create different looks, since the lighter blue is brighter and lighter, the gray will be deeper, darker, and more dramatic, and the green is more of an earth tone and more of a natural color, and for me, fresher. The ceramic seems more timeless. But, it depends on what you can love, and like working with for accessories, decor, etc. for the long haul.

What do you want to walk in and see in the morning? What do you want to see when it's all cleaned up and pretty at night? What about when you're working in front of it? Try to envision what type of look and environment you're after.

I am not one to leave the backsplash til last, but instead, much prefer to keep everything in flux until all the choices work together to create the whole vision... But if you are set on all of those other things, waiting could be a reasonable option.

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

another GREEN vote

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I like the green, but I don't think I'd want it all green...I think I would prefer the green as an accent in a background that's similar to the cabinet colors...maybe do a stripe ...

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

I'm typically a fan of blue but in your case like the green with your other finishes.

• fishymom
    11 years ago

I love the green with your other finishes!

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Another vote for the green. In fact, can you tell me who makes that please? Backsplash will be one of my next decisions to nail down. Thanks!

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

Green will look great-love the floor too

• alexx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@blackchamois: I will go by the tile shop and look for the name. I have 4 samples. All numbers no description. It's a out $10 per square foot.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Green here, too. Looks great with the other things you have picked out.

• alexx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@blackchamois: The green ceramic 1x4 tile is Cepac "LM 146". $9.00 a square foot. It was originally marketed (and is still used for) as pool tile but the tile place says it can be used in the pool, bathrooms, kitchen backsplashes, etc. They have it in 4x4 and also smaller squares but not 3x6.

• blackchamois
    11 years ago

Alexx - Hi and thank you! So kind of you to get that info for me. I will check it out. I am looking for something in the taupe/tan family but like the 1x4 or 1x2.

Again, really like the green in your application. Have you made a decision?

• alexx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

They had at least 3 or 4 colors. No decision--this is really hard. I ordered another glass subway sample in Daltile "whisper green". My husband is convinced that I am going to tire of the green ceramic quickly.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I like the green one. Looks like light shade of Celadon from here and I love that color. I think it works better with your other colors and I like the shape. However I also love green so maybe I'm biased. I too would wait until all your sure things are installed and then decide. I'd pick one tile and skip accent tiles. I think they look dated, but that's JMO of course. Can't wait to see your completed kitchen. Like the coconut. May I ask who's doing your cabs? Thanks.

• alexx
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. The cabinets are Diamond (I think this os Schrock in some other places but am not sure) brand through a local cabinet wholesaler so it's a couple thousand less than Home Depot or Lowes. We didn't really need custom sizes though there were some limitations (ex. pantry cabs couldn't be glass on top.)

• steph2000
    11 years ago

Echoing the love of the green. Especially with the other materials you have chosen, it is just such a great, organic vibe. Very cohesive!

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

Love the green! Also have Diamond cabs and am very happy with them 8 months in. One of cab drawer fronts got a nasty scratch(due to my error, not the cab) and they came right out and replaced the whole drawer front. I also got them from a local company and not the Depot either. If you are using the Kitchen Store in LA, they are amazing!

• gidgetgirly
    11 years ago

Green :)

• francoise47
    11 years ago

The green ceramic tile is gorgeous!
    I think it will look very nice with your cabinets.
    We all know that nothing is "timeless";
    but, the green ceramic feels classic
    and goes well with the traditional/classic profile of your cabinets.