Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stainless steel vs. brushed nickel Kraus faucet - $150 difference

Posted by ferdie (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 11 at 14:43

Need to replace our kitchen faucet with something affordable. Our last brushed nickel faucet corroded at the joints. After three years of use the base has become fused with corrosion and the faucet no longer swings to the left or right. It is frozen in place. This was a kohler faucet ordered from the box store.

I am wondering if a stainless steel finish will hold up better than the brushed nickel.

Link to the stainless steel version:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kraus-Stainless-Steel-Single-Lever-Pull-out-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet/3343633/product.html

Link to the brushed nickel:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Kraus-Solid-Brass-Single-lever-Pull-out-Sprayer-Kitchen-Faucet/4340814/product.html

Do you think it is worth the $150 difference? Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stainless steel vs. brushed nickel Kraus faucet - $150 differ

Nickel doesn't corrode. That's why it's combined with steel to create stainless steel. You have hard water issues that will affect any faucet you purchase no matter the finish. Look into treating your water to remove the mineral content.

o

We recently bought a Kraus stainless steel faucet for our kitchen remodel. I love it. It is beautiful. It think it is worth the difference. These models have a limited lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. From their website on the questions page I found:

"What material is used in the construction of Kitchen Faucets?

Most Kitchen Faucets are made from Solid Brass, and then plated with Chrome, Satin Nickel, ORB or other finishes. However, select manufacturers such as Kraus, offer kitchen faucets which are made from Solid Stainless Steel. It is important not to confuse Satin Nickel Finish, which is plated brass, with Solid Stainless Steel Construction. Stainless steel does not stain, corrode, or rust as easily as ordinary steel."

Hope this helps with your decision.

o

Thanks so much for the feedback hollysprings and Brandy5.

I really appreciate your replies.

o

I echo what hollysprings said. Even a very expensive faucet will have mineral buildup on it and it won't be the faucet's fault. It has to do with the water. Have your water evaluated and treated. You gotta think, if it's doing that to the faucet surface, what's it doing to your pipe interiors or you?

In the meantime, try some CLR on your existing faucet. You may need to build a dam around it with some clay in order to be able to soak it, or find a CLR type treatment in a gel form. It may darken the nickel to do this, but at least your faucet will be functional again until you can replace it. I'd choose a stainless one for the next faucet, as it will remain non reactive in the presence of harsh chemicals like CLR, and do the mineral removal at least once a month until the water treatment plan is implemented.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here