Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
modern_mom35

Finished Kitchen - torquay, espresso cabs

modern_mom35
11 years ago

We started demo just before Memorial Day weekend and finished up just after Labor Day weekend. Considering the overall scope of the project (removal of load bearing wall, pushing up basement header to straighten out the sub-floors, disputes about MUA, etc..), things went relatively smooth.

I was not a frequent poster, but I was a regular lurker and received a tremendous amount of help and inspiration from the folks on GW. ICFGreen, in particular, was a huge inspiration for me in the "style" department. Their kitchen reveal gave me the "a-ha" moment which turned my vision of light cabs/busy granite to dark cabs/simple white quartz. I never looked back and am SO HAPPY with how it all turned out.

Others on GW steered me toward lots of drawers and the Silgranit sinks (love!!) and gave me confidence to bargain shop for appliances. We paid well below MSRP for everything, with the exception of the beverage fridge. It took a lot of leg-work and breath holding (especially buying a rangetop off Ebay from a guy many states away�), but it all turned out great. I got my dream appliances � even the now discontinued open-burner Wolf rangetop � and after several months of use I can say that everything works!!

Here are the details:
Floors � Site finished white oak, random width planks; Bona Traffic finish in natural

Cabinets � local custom, poplar with espresso stain and crystal finish

Hardware � solid stainless steel bar pulls, Overstock.com

Countertops � Cambria Torquay, 3cm edge, profile Z

Fridge � 48" Liebherr biofresh - LOVE LOVE LOVE!! I would highly recommend this fridge.

Ovens, Rangetop � Wolf e-series ovens; 48" Wolf Rangetop from Ebay

Hood � 54" Vent-A-Hood with 900 CFM blower off Craigslist

heated make-up air unit in basement, don't remember much about details but it's there and seems to work :)

Beverage Fridge � Electrolux

Microwave Drawer � Dacor

Warming Drawer � Siemens

Dishwasher � Asko
Sinks � Blanco Silgranit in Truffle, main sink is Precis Super Single, prep sink is Precis Large

Faucets � Delta Trinsic

Backsplash tile � Solistone Mardi Gras in Metairie

Stools � Overstock.com

Paint � Sherwin Williams Gray Clouds

BEFORE:

we knocked out the fridge wall shown here. was load-bearing. they installed a steel beam in the ceiling so no support pole in the middle of my kitchen.

steel beam:

AFTER:

please excuse the mess and child locks..

my favorite part - floor to ceiling bookshelves...cabinet guy thought I was nuts, but I filled it :)

2nd favorite part (the Rangetop, not the "complimentary" cheeseboard/trivet from the nice folks at Cambria):

here's where we hid the microwave drawer (and a little dose of cute..):

Torquay close-up (and kitchen action shot, early stages of Lefse making):

beverage station - love roll-out for coffee/toaster:

better view of other side of island (taken much earlier):

thanks for looking!!

Comments (62)

• badgergal
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

As many others have said, "WOW". That is one dramatic change. I am a fan of modern/ contemporary so I love everything about you new space. Wishing you lots of good times in your new kitchen

• Liz
    11 years ago

I absolutely love your kitchen!

• ck_squared
    11 years ago

What a remarkable transformation. Your new kitchen is just beautiful. It's also a great inspiration to me as we are in the midst of planning a kitchen remodel and are going with dark modern cabs with light counters and floors.

Enjoy your new kitchen!

• cardamon
    11 years ago

It is beautiful on my iPad, I can only think it must be so much prettier in real life! Love your color choices and the bookshelves. What is sweet little one. Great job.

• Joga
    11 years ago

Holy moly my jaw dropped--what a transformation!! I LOVE your backsplash. What a lucky little girl to grow up in such a beautiful kitchen!

• TxMarti
    11 years ago

It is spectacular! I love how much room you have now and how functional too. Truly a cook's kitchen. And the best part is probably to be a guest and sit at those comfy bar stools chatting and preparing dinner.

• jaynees
    11 years ago

Holy cow! That doesn't even look like the same BUILDING! That is unbelievably beautiful!

We have tons of cookbooks too, but we keep them in another room. I'll bet if my husband sees your pictures he'll want to put in built-ins in our just-finished kitchen!!

I love your pulls. I briefly thought about getting that kind but realized it was probably too modern for the kitchen we were building. But I do love those.

Absolutely stunning kitchen!!!

• selphydeg
    11 years ago

I love it, so modern and clean.

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Love it!

I have the same countertop and my faucets are so similar I almost mistook yours for mine (brizo solna).

And I have a cutey that's probably about the same age as yours (mine's 16 months) :-)

How do you like the Elux beverage fridge? We have yet to buy one but it's on our short list.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

You Rocked It Gurrrlll!

Let's just say I was stuck staring the first photo of the new kitchen for awhile. And then I thought, "maybe there are more pictures"....oh and the other photos didn't disappoint either! Your kitchen is really great.

Your little one could not be any cuter.

Wishing you many years of enjoyment with the kitchen and the wee one.

• taggie
    11 years ago

Oh wow what a great new kitchen. Taking that wall out was a brilliant call. Love the whole thing, and especially your wonderful dose of cute!!

• youngdeb
    11 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! You have great taste. Especially love the backsplash.

I could eat that munchkin UP. Those little cheeks demand kisses!!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Spectacular!! Night and Day - love the backsplash and of course the cutie pie (the 2 legged one). It is hard to say much more than what others have said already. Definitely more pictures!!

What is your backsplash!

• modern_mom35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh my! I am so honored and touched by all your kind responses.

@Quiltgirl - it's hard to get good pix close up of the countertops, but here's another one.

I know conventional wisdom on the boards say to see your Torquay slab in person. I don't necessarily agree. We went to the Cambria "mother ship" in northern Minnesota before ordering. We couldnt see the exact slabs we were getting. But They have "ideal" slabs of every Cambria style on site. They explained that all others are manufactured to fit that "ideal". (think dog shows...) its not exact, of course, but you get the idea. anyway - if you like it, you like it. You may not get the "exact" idea of every swirl you are getting, but the samples are quite accurate It definitely helped to see the full sized slab. I will say that Torquay could go gray or taupe, which ever way you are suited.

@enduring-so sweet! Our girl is half Norweigan/Swede. Good eye!

@Badgergal - I've always loved your taste. Modern soul mates :)

@Cottonpenny - we love the Elux fridge! It was reasonably priced and keeps beer, soda, white wine, etc. perfectly cold. Love the pull-out shelves.

• go_figure01
    11 years ago

WOW. Like everyone said, what a change!! I am in awe !!
    Congratulations, its stunning.

• modern_mom35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@2gemini - sorry I missed you. The backsplash is glass tile. Solistone Mardi Gras tile in Metairie. We ordered it from Amazon for some savings.

• lalithar
    11 years ago

Really classy and modern! Looks like it would be easy to clean too!

• Sherriode
    11 years ago

What they said. WOW! Stunning, really. Love the windows, beverage station, comfy stools. Everything looks so clean and sleek. It looks like it'd be a joy to cook in.

• rosylady
    11 years ago

The blue of that backsplash is mesmerizing, like looking at water how the color and reflections change. I love it's boldness.

Beautiful job.

• enduring
    11 years ago

Modern M, It was the Lefse that was the give away:) My DH is 1/2 Swede 1/2 German. There are lots of Swedish relatives that are still communicated with even though my DH grand parents came over before the turn of the century. We live in the midwest and there are lots of Swedish and Norwegian immigrants from long ago. Again beautiful kitchen and an adorable dolly.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Beautiful and sleek. Love the backsplash and range top.

Your baby is adorable.

• MarinaGal
    11 years ago

What a transformation! I just love your new kitchen - the color choices are stunning and not seen every day which is just my cup of tea. The Torquay is a really nice choice. Also, your daughter could not be cuter!

• coco4444
    11 years ago

Couldn't not chime in... amazing job! I agree with above posters... my jaw dropped at the first pic! It's magazine worthy! Love, love, love the blue tile. Enjoy your beautiful, functional new kitchen!

• Olney
    11 years ago

Wow! That's all I can say!

• User
    11 years ago

WOWSER !! I am so astounded by the change and your vision taking it from what you had to this. You have done a super job and your space is breathtaking. Your dose of cute is just too precious. I have a 13 month old grandson and he is too cute too :) Enjoy your wonderful new kitchen . c

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Wow! What a transformation! Hard to believe the before and after occupied the same space! Love the contrast between the dark cabs with the light counter and the splash of blue. Just gorgeous! You did a fabulous job!

That picture of your little cutie is beyond precious! She is just too cute for words! You can see the mischief in those eyes! lol I think she has big plans for that microwave drawer!

• Linda
    11 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous! So many features to love!!!

• heidia
    11 years ago

So so so beautiful!!! that blue tile-really really nice touch!!! And the dose of cute is crazy adorable cute. :) Very gorgeous kitchen! :)

• cj47
    11 years ago

Oh, lovely!! I'm not even a fan of modern, but I just want to gaze at your lovely kitchen--love that backsplash, and the contrast between the dark cabs and the cambria. And your little one is adorable! Nice job, really nice job.

Cj

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

Stunning! Love every element of your new kitchen.

• rhome410
    11 years ago

Stunning, breathtaking... adorable!

And the kitchen is nice, too. ;)

But really, what a fantabulous change. I had to keep going back and forth to try to see how it went from the old to dazzling! How I wish I'd thought to do a shelf like that at the end of my oven.
    I love the clean lines and surfaces of the contemporary mixed with some design choices that still make it homey.

Enjoy!

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Modern - thanks for the tile information! You must be just loving your kitchen!

• pps7
    11 years ago

beautiful!

Can I ask about the stools? I was looking on overstock for something similar. which ones are they? Are they comfortable and sturdy?

• andreak100
    11 years ago

Love the kitchen! What an amazing transformation!!!

Can you tell me what size pulls you used on your cabinets? Trying to decide what to use - it looks like you may have used two different sizes, is that correct? (Looks like almost all are one size, but that you have a narrow drawer base over by the corner that might have needed smaller pulls.)

• huango
    11 years ago

Really really nice transformation!

Would you know what hinges the cabinet maker used on your coffee/toaster ?pull-up? door?

I am doing a similar thing for my appliance garage and I am now looking for the hinges.

Did you have to move out during the finishing of the oak floor? How many coats did you do?

Our flooring was stained rift-sawn white oak (over radiant heating), then 2 coats of Bona so far. Our last coat (satin) will be right before we leave for Christmas. Phew: smelly!

Thank you for your help,
    Amanda

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Love your new kitchen. That blue tile is just eye-popping gorgeous. Also, it makes modern seem "fresh" and more approachable.

Love your little one too, and her reflection in the microwave drawer is so cute. When she figures out how to microwave her own smores you could be in trouble.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Very dramatic and unique, but still comfy. Beautiful job... it really doesn't look like the same building! Little cutie pie looks like a sweetie, too!

• teeda
    11 years ago

Absolutely Fabulous. . . !

• MGDawg
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Where did you get your pendants and what size are they?

• User
    11 years ago

I absolutely LOVE your bookshelf. What a nice, unexpected touch.

Now you're making me wish I had the foresight to do the exact same thing. One can never have too many quality spots for books! :)

Congratulations - it is a spectacular remodel!

• drybean
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I just love everything, including that sweet little nugget by the microwave. :) Very jealous of all your book space. I have a 30" wall cab planned for mine, and I'm worried it won't be enough.

I have had a similar aha moment where I decided that I no longer want white cabinets.

I am very happy to see that you have stained poplar cabinets, as I was unsure what poplar would look like stained. I also want a slab cabinet with a dark stain, and the cabinet guy told me that poplar wouldn't take stain well. Are you happy with them?

Great job-it is just a stunning kitchen!

• ao34
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

• modern_mom35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

so sorry to you all that it took me so long to respond to your nice responses and questions. it's been a crazy week :)

@ PPS7 -- the stools are from Overstock, they are Sunpan Churchill Adjustible in white, ~$200 each. they are so comfy! it was hard to find anything that was closed in the back (little kids), and big/strong enough to fit my 6'4" hubby. they are a little big for my taste, but really comfy and strong.

@ Andreak -- we used a combo of 7 inch and 10 inch pulls.

@ Huango -- our floor guy was able to do the finish in a day. he used a commercial coat of Bona for the top coat. it dried really fast and didnt' smell bad at all. we just had to keep the dog off it for about a week.

@ MG Dawg -- so sorry, but I can't remember the brand of the pendants. we got them on clearance at a local independent lighting store in MN. they weren't even in a box so I'm not sure if we ever knew the brand. they were only $30 a piece, so a huge bargain.

@ Drybean -- so interesting that you were told that about Poplar. we were told by our cabinet maker that Poplar takes a dark stain very well. we are very happy with it and saved so much $$ over our original plan of cherry. it is a soft wood, but we haven't had any issues re: damage yet. I would recommend it.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Modern: Well I'll be honest I wasnt expecting to be completely bowled over by your kitchen.
    I am. Even the blue. Don't even like blue. Don't even like modern. Can't believe how much I like your kitchen.
    Really this is such a good example of how well everything works together.
    Your baby girl is precious.

• modern_mom35
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@ ck_squared -- I would be happy to :) we used Sage Homes out of Plymouth as our GC and Cabinets by Dan out of Savage, MN for our cabinets. I would recommend both highly.

• mamasheshe
    11 years ago

Speechless....except to say, speechless.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    11 years ago

looks fantastic! its great to see a dark kitchen with light tops. A similar combination will be going in our new home under construction. Seeing yours makes us anxious for the new one.

• dejongdreamhouse
    11 years ago

I haven't been on GW much since we moved in last year, but I'm so glad I logged in tonight. Your kitchen turned out so beautifully! Of course, I see so many things I like! I love that you went with the Mardi Gras backsplash. We went back and forth between the Metairie and Carrollton. I don't think either us could have gone wrong.

Congrats on a job beautifully well done!

• Kelly Kay
    3 years ago

@modern_mom35 Yes, this thread is 8 years old, but I found it searching for Torquay and dark cabinets, as that is what I plan to put in my kitchen. (I don't like painted wood and while white cabinets are lovely, my kids don't mix well with white!) I am also drawn to blue in a backsplash but am somewhat hampered by the '90s off white (slightly warm) 12"x12" tile that is in my kitchen as it is most of my first floor and out-of-budget to replace it. I was thrown into the remodel due to a burst pipe, with a large section of my kitchen already demo'd due to having to fix the pipe, so I don't want to take months to decide or wait to find the "perfect" deal or for backordered items. At the same time, I don't want to hate it when it's done.

I am loving your toaster pullout and trying to see exactly what you did with the microwave. I'm wishing I had an exposed end to do shelves (saw it in another kitchen and loved the look) but the kitchen is built into an L with walls cutting it off, so nothing open ended for me. I don't have the budget to gut everything but I do mostly like my layout.

I was thinking my kitchen might be too dark with a backsplash like that, but yours shows it might work, although you have windows spread throughout and mine only has windows in the breakfast nook, and I'd punch another window in the wall, but it's the north side that just shows my neighbors house far too close, not really a view I want, even with more light. I think installing proper lighting will really help, as it almost has none since we took out the old large soffit fluorescent main light due to having to move the large built-in due to water damage (which I hated anyway). Trying to figure out the layout before we start punching holes in the ceiling!

Thanks for the links of what you purchased. The online photos make the backsplash look much lighter than your kitchen photos which is good to keep in mind when I'm looking online.

I am curious if 8 years later there is anything you would change? This was truly a stunning remodel.