Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzyg215

what cleaner to use on granite?

Suzy
13 years ago

when i wipe down my granite countertops, there seems to be a dull film. what is a good everyday spray to use to make my granite look shiny? don't want to deal with a real polish for each day.

Comments (12)

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

One vote for Granite Gold daily cleaner.

• sue36
    13 years ago

I have several, 409 for stone (it is clear) is the one I use the most.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

I use Method granite cleaner from Target, like how it smells and also 409 for stone like sue 36.

• katyde
    13 years ago

We just finished our kitchen and my tile store suggested a product by TEC called "Everyday Stone and Tile cleaner". It is super concentrted - 1/4 cup diltes in a gallon so the bottle will last forever. I put 1 Tbsp in a quart spray bottle and diluted in water. And: no streaks, no residue AND it gets every spot and fingerprint off of our stainless too! Great product!

• keptoz
    13 years ago

I make my own spray bottle - 1 part rubbing alcohol, 2 parts water & a couple drops of dish detergent to make it smell better - - someone here actually suggested it last year when I was doing my kitchen. I love it - cleans all the messes, no streaks, disinfects, no film & super inexpensive & easy.

• limom_2bts
    13 years ago

Our fabricator said to forget about the cleaner that starts with "W" (windex) and recommended Glass Plus which, for some reason,is not easy to find. He said to avoid anything with ammonia and also said to not use dish detergent as it would dull the granite. We've also been using the 409 for stone.
    I don't know why but the whole family just loves cleaning the counters now!!

• User
    13 years ago

I was also told GLass Plus (or really anything without ammonia. And now I see that windex does have some without ammonia). I use that with a microfiber cloth and don't see any hazes or anything bad. I keep meaning to try the homemade one with the alcholol and water but have not as yet.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I do the same thing Keptoz does.
    Rubbing Alcohol 1 part (Super cheap if you buy a huge
    container)plus 3 parts water into a recycled spray bottle
    is perfect. Instead of dish detergent, I use almond
    extract. I have used Almond oil or Lilac oil but I like the
    extract smell even better. Just a drop or two is all you
    need. Oooooh just thinking about it makes me want to
    try Peppermint.

Haze or cloud?????
    There are two links on sealers that might help you with
    that.

~boxerpups

Cleaning counters on GW
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cleaning/msg1209243123836.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite was sealed and is now hazy - how do I clean it?

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

~50-50 mix of alcohol and water with a few drops of lavender essential oil (smells lovely and has antibacterial/microbial properties). Leaves granite shiny and works great on SS as well. I use it with a microfiber cloth, btw.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

This question is asked periodically. In the "Read Me" thread, there's a link to a thread that attempts to consolidate members' methods of cleaning various elements of the kitchen, including stone counters.

Personally, I just use a bit of dish detergent for day-to-day cleaning. When I want my counters to really "sparkle" (e.g., for a party), I use Method Daily Daily Granite Cleaner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: The best way to clean....

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

Because of budget (or lack of funds) we used 12 x 12 Granite tiles as a countertop.
    So far, I'm very pleased with the way it handles a very rough daily use.

I began my search for a good granite cleaner.

My Mom bought be one....it seemed to leave smears that I had to really use a lot of elbow grease to get rid of.

I bought one that felt sticky after buffing it.

Then I was visiting a friend who cleans houses in the she-she area of OC.
    I asked what she used.
    She told me she also tried many, many cleaners with not great results until she found:

DuPont StoneTech Professional Revitalizer Cleaner and Protector 24-Ounce Spray, Citrus Scent

I purchased mine from Amazon dot com (Amazon Prime Free Shipping doncha know. *smile* ) and so far, it's the best of the best for my countertops.

Not only does it clean, without a film or smears, but the label says it also protects my composite sink....I was thrilled!

Between the Dupont StoneTech Spray and my new MicroFiber Cloths......my counters shine!
    It's a spray, so it's quick. It smells clean. And a little spritz goes a long way.

Might not work for others because they have the full slab of beautiful granite but for our tiles, it is the best I've used so far.
    Make sure to use the MicroFiber Cloths....I got mine from Amazon . com also.

MicroFiber CLoths:

http://www.amazon.com/Eurow-Microfiber-Premium-Cleaning-36-Pack/dp/B0031B4YU2/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1293538259&sr=8-12

Here is a link that might be useful: DuPont StoneTech Spray

• cjlk_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I have just had new sealed granite counter tops installed in my kitchen. I have a bottle of the new lavender Fabuloso on hand by P&G so I called their information line to inquire if it was safe to use on granite. They assured me that it was completely safe to use since it contains no ammonia.