Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teresa518_gw

99% Finished Cherry Kitchen (Before and After)

teresa518
14 years ago

First of all, as a long time lurker and a once in a while contributer/poster, I have to thank everyone on the site for all that you do in helping answer people's questions and make everyone's kitchen better! My kitchen wouldn't have been the same and process not as smooth without all the seaches and questions from GW! I also had a great team of GC and Subs who worked really hard to get the job done in about 8 weeks.

So here goes. This is a set of before and afters because it was such a big transformation. I tried to take each shot from the same point of view as the before so you get the idea.....

Before:

After:

Here are the details:

Cabinets: Kraftmaid Cherry Cabinets (upgraded to APC) in Chocolate finish.

Counter: Labrador Antique Granite

Floor: Brazilian Teak

Lights: Kichler (pendants and DR light)

Faucet: Kohler Vinnata in Vibrant Stainless

Sink: no-name Stainless Steel D-Sink

Door: Pella Designer Series French Door with Blinds Inside

Backsplash: Honed and Filled Travertine Subway field and border tile

Mural: ordered online

Thanks again!

Comments (47)

• rjr220
    14 years ago

Oh my. That is stunning, and very creative. Thanks for posting the before and after together. You've done so much it was helpful. Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful. What a great gift for the holidays!
    And the colors match the cat! My cat is black and white. Hope he's not offended when we don't match the kitchen to him.

• gmnolen
    14 years ago

Wow! What a gorgeous kitchen. I love the glass front cabinets.

• teresa518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to list the appliances:

Refrigerator: GE Monogram SxS (it's about 4 years old)
    DW: GE Monogram
    Range: Electrolux ICON
    MW: Sharp MW Drawer

Thanks.

• lisa_a
    14 years ago

What a change! Nicely done! I had to keep going back and forth between the before and after pictures to get my bearings. It's hard to believe it's the same space. It's open, warm and inviting. You must love cooking in your new kitchen.

I also noticed that the cat and kitchen were color coordinated. ;-)

• Christine Clemens
    14 years ago

Wow! It looks elegant but very comfortable. Your buffet (or whatever call it) is a great use of space. Enjoy!

Can you tell me what brand of Brazilian Teak you used?

Great job.

• teresa518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Brazilian Teak is pre-finished but I don't know the manufacturer. It was purchased by my GC.

• hmdennis
    14 years ago

Wow! What a huge improvement! What was up with all of the crazy outlet locations in the old kitchen!! This new kitchen is incredibly sophisticated, warm and open, I like your glass doors and the bar that is near the door to the outside. I bet it feels very open but cozy/warm at the same time. Great work!

• marthavila
    14 years ago

Very very nice! I like it all, but especially those leaded glass fronts and the built-in hutch. The new lighting, new flooring, new doors and backsplash addition make it all special as well. Congratulations and happy holidays to you and yours in your lovely, totally transformed, new kitchen!

• squigs
    14 years ago

very, very pretty!

• mythreesonsnc
    14 years ago

What a warm and inviting space! Enjoy the holidays with your early gift!!

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    14 years ago

Wow, you must be thrilled every time you enter the kitchen area. Such an awesome difference.

• hilltop_gw
    14 years ago

WOW - that's gorgeous!! Every detail top to bottom.

• malhgold
    14 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen you now have. You have certainly made quite the transformation.I really like your backsplash tile.Very rich looking. enjoy your new space!

• mamalynn
    14 years ago

That is really beautiful! What a change - so open and warm and inviting! I love the glass doors on your built-in hutch especially. I also really like your granite and all your woods and I think your lighting choices are great!

Enjoy!

• inthehollow
    14 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen! You've done a wonderful job. I love how the curves in your light fixtures echo the curves in your cabinet glass.

Very pretty.

• biochem101
    14 years ago

Beautiful! And much more user friendly now! :)

The built-in cabinets and wine fridge around the window and radiator is a very unique use of a space like that in an older house. That could be an inspriation to a lot of other people trying to work around old radiators. Like the angled lower cabinets.

• joy910
    14 years ago

beautiful! i'm just about to start my rehab -- i also have labrador antique granite and a beige marble subway tile planned, and it's wonderful to see how lovely it looks in your kitchen. Enjoy!

• marybeth1
    14 years ago

Very nice! Love your floor and your beautiful built ins. What a transformation! Enjoy!

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Great completed kitchen week continues! Looks really nice!

PS Love the kitten, too!

• katsmah
    14 years ago

Wow, what an incredible transformation!!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

wow that is some new kitchen!! wow... I love your BS - it doesn't over power anything else in the kitchen. it just seems to blend in and agree with everything else.

and that floor - that is just awesome!

I bet it'll be so fun to be baking and cooking for the holidays in there! enjoy - enjoy - enjoy!

• houseful
    14 years ago

Just gorgeous! I love the range area and the built-ins around the window. Is that a dining room?

We had/have those same drop ceilings. We gained over a foot of ceiling height in some places. Did you find that to be the case as well?

• guppy_2009
    14 years ago

It's beautiful! The deep rich tones in your cabinets and counter are very nice with the lighting and ss appliances. Well done.

• teresa518
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all for the great compliments! I love my new space.

I am baking cookies with my mom next weekend and hosting 12 for Christmas Eve - a seafood dinner that will put that new oven to the TEST! Can't wait!

To answer a couple questions:

hmdennis - those weird outlets were all original to the house. One had an old light fixture attached to it. When I took the fixture down, I was surprised it was connected to an outlet instead of hard wired - just weird. Another was for a clock (I guess before battery operated clocks??). It really was not functional before.

Houseful
    - Yes. That is my dining room (although it is small) but the house is a small cape cod built in the 30's so that's all I can expect.
    - For ceiling height, unfortunately, I actually lost a little because of the support beams that needed to be installed when I took out the load bearing walls between the old rooms and I have pipes in the ceiling for a new bathroom above the kitchen that needed to be "hidden". The ceiling height is only about 93" although you really can't tell. I wanted the ceiling to go straight through so height was a sacrifice I needed to make to accommodate. I'm only 5'1" so I don't notice:-)

Biochem 101 - re: the radiator. In an old house I have had to do a lot to work around what is existing.

PS - the kitten loves the new kitchen too. I didn't realize she blended in so well. If only I had a solution to keep her off the counters.....

• barbse
    14 years ago

Wow! Beautiful kitchen - LOVE those floors!

• starpooh
    14 years ago

What a terrific transformation!
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog?
    If so please submit the FKB Category Checklist to give your permission. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: FKB Category Checklist

• chrisk327
    14 years ago

stunning kitchen. if only when I do mine i could do it that well.

• julie94062
    14 years ago

Wow, what a great use of space! You've created a great layout by moving things around. Love the Labrador Antique! (and everything else!)

• sabjimata
    14 years ago

to be honest, i loved your before cabinets. great remodel. i really appreciate that you kept the same color tone with the cabs. i notice that people tend to go totally opposite on color scheme when they remodel. you definitely had a vision!

• redroze
    14 years ago

Your kitchen is an absolute stunner. How the heck did I miss this post? The blue eyes granite was the one I'd go with if I was going with a mid-tone granite. It's just beautiful. Your leaded glass cabinets are perfect!!! I love the detail on them. Especially how you echoed them in the bar area. Amazing job!

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I remember seeing the beautiful picture and sending a picture to my friend late at night. I then tried to reply and my PC crashed again. In fact I tried to reply a few times and was sure my post was printed but I don't see it now. I remember asking you what width were your Teak Floors. Remember when Gardenweb was doing a clean-up and they indicated that any posts from a certain time period were now gone and I think that is what happened to my post.

I now have a new computer. I love your teak floors so much. I love white cabinets but for my home I want cherry cabinets or Maple stained cherry since I feel that would look best and I have always been a cherry wood fan. This is one of the reasons I finally stopped listening to my friends and installed the Brazilian Cherry floors that I have wanted for a year and I love.

I love your granite counters, beautiful rich looking stylish cabinets, gorgeous perfect teak floors, gorgeous stainless steel appliances, beautiful matching cherry hood, and back-splash. By the way, what color grout did you use since I love the way it blends with the tile which is the effect that I want.

Your kitchen has me wanting to put the wood in my kitchen but with my 4 little dogs going in and out of the sliding door in the kitchen, I feel tile would be best. I still have not chosen a tile yet.

Again, thanks for sharing.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

P.S. I also love the soffit gone with the beautiful crown on top of the cabinets that I can only dream to have. I know I will have to hide my soffit or just live with it since it will not be in my budget to remove it knowing it has pipes under it.

• judydel
    14 years ago

Therese wow I did miss your reveal in Dec. I would have remembered if I had seen it! Just beautiful. Love your cabinets, love your floors, and as you may know I'm partial to glass front cabinets so as you can guess, I LOVE your special glass cabs.

Very classy. Nice layout also. Mine is a bit similar.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

This is my first finished kitchen to look at in months LOL I'm totally confused...good gravy did you change that floor plan! Was this an addition? Or do you just have me totally turned around?

I adore a bumped out range (I have it too...it's a joy) and the sink is wonderful...Some movement in the counter area is so vital to break up the space from being one huge line.

I adore the cabs...I have natural cherry and love the grain. It's just really well done missie :)

And I mostly love that the cat seems to be wandering from pic to pic perhaps looking for the old microwave cart with it's food.....

• needsometips08
    14 years ago

Sheesh, I missed it too. It must have been a record low of people on the forum when you originally posted. Your kitchen is beautiful. I love your travertine backsplash. It feels calming to me :-).

• country_smile
    14 years ago

...and I'm yet another one that missed seeing your remodel. After reading your recent post I wanted to send you an e-mail but you don't have your e-mail address listed on "My Page".

It is BEAUTIFUL, teresa! The glass doors flanking the hood really set it off. Love the light backsplash with the (medium) dark cabinets. Job well done and unquestionably deserving of praise!!!!!

There must have been a low # of people on GW in December (I know all about posting in December). But your kitchen caught starpooh's attention, which means it's FKB worthy.

So...with the kitchen finished before Christmas, did you find yourself baking more cookies and inviting hoards of people to your house for meals, or did you enjoy the quiet and calming feeling of a finished remodel and relish the fact that your house and kitchen were once again yours and the GC and subcontractors had moved on to another place?

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Can't believe I missed this one. Lovely job - it look warm, classy and rich. The hutch is great and I love the leaded glass details in your cabinets.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I did see your kitchen back in Dec. Dec is a huge
    b-day month in our family. And I remember wanting to
    write a note and then life got away from me and when
    I returned to GW my short attention span swiftly went
    on to some picture search for a fello GWebber.

I love the edge you chose on your counters. The
    backsplash is gorgeous but especially the softness that
    you can see from slide pic with kitty in front of the
    refrigerator. You can see the smoothness of the tiles
    with the warm color compliments the cabinet color.
    The mix of textures and of course your artistic tiles too.
    The wood floors with wood cabinets looks amazing and
    often something people are afraid to do but it came
    out perfect in your space. I love that you put
    wine glasses in those beautiful glass cabinets beside
    your range. The glitter and sparkle looks faboulous.

Thanks for posting these great pictures,
    ~boxerpups

• minette99
    14 years ago

Your cat is adorable and your kitchen is beautiful!! I love the cabinets -- reminds me of chocolate! I love the travertine backsplash -- it is a very subtle color and texture. Your floor is amazing. Love what you did with the radiator space -- very nice and creative. And I have range envy -- that's a cool piece of HOT! Really fabulous all around -- very open but warm and so spacious!

• willowdecor
    14 years ago

How did I miss this outstanding before and after!! Your kitchen is absolutely stunning. What a great job. I especially love the angled cabinets and the surround around the heater. A wonderfully warm kitchen! Beautiful space!!
    xx-Willow

• shelayne
    14 years ago

I remember this kitchen, and I remember that I DID post on here! I told you that I loved your cabinets--especially the glass ones. I love your granite choice, and it was one I toyed with, as I love those pops of blue in the stone. I bet that looks just amazing in person! I commented on your beautiful floors and am pretty darned sure I said something about your kitty, too!

Well, now I will just tell you again how absolutely warm, rich, inviting, and splendid your kitchen is! I cannot believe it is the same space! Wowee! And I am totally digging on your range! Very nice!

• kodak1
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen. Your cabinets are very elegant and the glass cabinets are stunning. Your floors, granite and backsplash are so beautiful. You did a great job putting everything together. Enjoy your new kitchen!!!

• sofla
    14 years ago

Beautiful and well thought out. Love all your selections. I love how you framed the window and is it a heater/ac unit at your wet bar area. Love the backsplash as well.

• ejbrymom
    14 years ago

What a transformation! You did a MAJOR remodel.
    It is warm and upscale. Love it.
    Your range is beautiful as are the wood cabinets and floors. Really flows together nicely into the eating area.

• swspitfire
    14 years ago

Hi Teresa518
    Really beautiful kitchen, not sure how I missed it earlier!

How do you like the inside cabinet lighting for your glass cabinets? I will have wood shelves with glass doors too. From your pictures it appears to illuminate nicely. I wasn't sure how it would work without glass shelving. I was thinking of positioning the puck lights close to the front of the cabinet. Is that where your inside puck lights are?

Thank you

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Beautiful transformation. Gorgeous mix of the stainless and the dark wood. OUTSTANDING!!!

Have to laugh...isn't that a great vacuum...I have The Animal too.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

Lovely and warm! What a wonderful transformation.