Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

Seeking advice: taking countertop geology to a wider audience

karin_mt
9 years ago

Hello kitchen friends,

I have such a great time here helping out with geologic kitchen mysteries and helping folks make educated decisions when shopping for a suitable countertop for their circumstances.

I am a freelance writer and educator and I'm kicking around ideas for taking this concept to a wider audience. But I'm not sure about the best way to do that (or if its worth it at all) so I am seeking your help.

I could pitch a series of articles to a kitchen magazine. However I don't know which magazines would be appropriate. Many seem to be just focused on completed kitchens with only minimal acknowledgement to all the hard work and tough decisions that go into a successful outcomes. Almost like they don't want to turn off their readers to the fact that the process can be challenging. Is there a magazine that you know of that seems like a good fit?

I could offer workshops for Countertop Geology 101. It would be the basic rock diagnostics that I usually describe here. I could imagine this being tons of fun because there are so many fun rocks to learn about. The target audience could be kitchen designers, consumers, or salespeople in slab yards. I would teach it differently to different audiences, but everyone would walk out with some firm, practical knowledge about how to identify most rocks they'll encounter in a slab yard. The caveat here is that it would require travel so the cost of the workshop would have to cover that, plus enough pay to make it worthwhile for me.

Or, there's the possibility of doing blog posts. In this case I'd want to hook up with an existing blog for a KD, stone dealer, or similar.

Sadly, I can't work for free. So whatever idea(s) I pursue need to pay for themselves. And although I know about rocks, I don't know much about the industry. So this is where I'd like to tap into the ideas that you all have.

Thoughts, ideas, and reality-checks are all welcome. Thank you!

Karin

Comments (15)

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Working with someone who has an established blog would probably be the easiest, so I'd pick someone and pitch the idea to them.
    With respect to the workshops, wouldn't you also have to work with someone, e.g. a store that sells a variety of counter top materials, kitchen design stores, or local adult classes.

Finally, what about publishing an e-book?

• PRO
    Granite City Services
    9 years ago

Maybe a major stone supplier like Cold Spring Granite would underwrite your speaking at industry events like Stone Expo or, better yet, a Kitchen Designer trade meeting. It is certainly to their advantage to get accurate info out to the industry particularly with all the marketing efforts by some of the quartz suppliers. To date the natural stone industry has largely lost the marketing war by not participating.

I attended a fabricator trade assoc. meeting at Cold Spring Granite's national headquarters a couple of years ago and it was very well attended by K&B types who commented that they found it very valuable.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Karin, I think that's a great idea! I would have paid for the help you gave me today :-)
    An ebook would be a good format as suggested above.

Bob Vila has a series of 101 articles that might be a good fit.

Also there are youtube bloggers who might strike a deal with you. Matt Risinger is a building science guy that I have found very helpful.

Also a DIY blogger would make sense, too- someone who uses remnant and repurposed slabs a lot like Little Green Notebook.

Perhaps you could publish a little field guide and market it in the blogosphere with little giveaways.

Good luck!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Fine Homebuilders magazine seems to have more in-depth articles.

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I agree: pitching yourself as a tool to help the natural stone industry fight back against quartz is a great angle.

Marketing yourself online is a whole lotta work, and it's gotten much harder. You need to try a lot of things, and see what works. Things that used to work a couple of years ago no longer do. You should be on:

- Facebook (with a fan page or business page not your personal page )
    - A blog; WordPress is fine. Make sure you collect emails for a newsletter from kitchen and bath types.
    - Twitter. Don't make your tweets all promotional
    - YouTube: this is where people now go to learn stuff. Teach a mini course. Demonstrate your tests.

You could also write an e-book. It's a lot of work. You will need a professional cover and professional copyediting (no you can't do it yourself). But all of that stuff can now be had fairly cheaply. However, to promote an e-book that's nonfiction, you really need what's called a platform. Which includes all the stuff I already listed.

• karin_mt
    Original Author
    9 years ago

These are great suggestions, thank you!

Fine Homebuilders is a great idea. I'm a longtime Fine Gardening subscriber and I like their approach.

OlyRyer, I'm glad you chimed in because your insight is especially relevant. The idea of a stone expo or KD trade show is exactly what I was thinking. I'll check out Cold Spring Granite.

Working with a Bob Villa type is also a good idea. An e-book is too much risk, in terms of lots of work with minimal payout. I think working with someone established is a better plan.

Another possibility is a big supplier or design center that could fill a workshop just in their local region. I could imagine this being possible in metro areas.

Other ideas??

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

karin:

Unfortunately, writers are a lot like guitar players. There are a lot of 'em, only a few are highly paid, and they love their job so much they'll do it for nearly nothing.

The Journal of Light Construction promised me $300.00 for my rod repair article. I'm still waiting. Don't quit your day job:

Here is a link that might be useful: JLC

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I've found photoshopping tiles immensely satisfying and helpful in my own searches, to the point of wondering whether it would be worth throwing out a shingle. Initial target audience in my case would be GW, perhaps yours too. I'm not ready (and paid too well by my day job) to pursue any options but perhaps contacting the good folks at GW Corporate might be helpful...?

• eam44
    9 years ago

What if you had a weekly column on houzz? Everyone ends up there eventually. You should see the questions people ask below the kitchen and bath images, and the inadequate responses they recieve. You could serve as both geo-journalist and "Ask Karin" columnist. I think it would be a match made in heaven!

• cookncarpenter
    9 years ago

My only suggestion Karin, would be to become a bit more familiar with soapstone and it's unique properties. This will only broaden your vast knowledge of the Granite/Marble choices available.
    Fine homebuilding seems to always entertain guest writers.

Good luck to you, and love your write ups! Chris

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

" I'm not ready (and paid too well by my day job) to pursue any options but perhaps contacting the good folks at GW Corporate might be helpful�"

Good luck with that and let me know how it goes. Right now they're selling pop ups for the content we provide for free. I doubt they want to change that model.

• HomeChef59
    9 years ago

I interned at Fine Cooking, a sister publication of Fine Homebuilding. They are always interested in people and sources such as yourself. Contact the editor. I would be willing to bet they would be interested in your information.

While I'm at it, thanks for the information. I put it to good use yesterday at the stone yard.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Oh my gosh what is with the pop-ups? They are sooooooo annoying. Treb is right, GW is not a content provider, but houzz is, so is Dwell and This Old House Magazine, and all have online versions.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Where are you located?