Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a2gemini_gw

Final Kitchen Reveal - Thank you GW!(lots of pictures!)

a2gemini
11 years ago

Final Kitchen Reveal

I can't believe it is almost a year since we signed the contract with the KD and GC. I only wish I had found GardenWeb before I signed the dotted line as I might have done a few things differently.
I hoped to create a web page or a story but decided just to do it in GW. I hope to have a finished kitchen link downstream. Sorry for so many pictures but I did trim it down!

The GardenWeb community was wonderful and so helpful in my decisions (outside of the design as this was done already). Gardenwebbers helped me with my backsplash, deciding on the pull out pantry, decorative lights and so much more. I know many of you have seen the kitchen on various posts but hoping this pulls it together.
I know I have a much better kitchen due to the GW. Thank you!

The original kitchen had contractor Merillat cabinets, Formica countertops, soffits, range with OTR Microwave and Adobe colored light fixtures. The sunroom had some old This End Up furniture.

The workflow was terrible - to empty the dishwasher, I had to go to 3 locations and I didn't really have any zones although technically, there was a triangle. I wanted more creativity in the design, but ended up staying relatively linear as I looked at adding a peninsula but didn't like how it closed in the room.

Our goals for our kitchen were basic - we were not planning on tearing down any walls, so we had the same basic footprint with modifications to enhance workflow. We wanted a warm and welcoming kitchen with quality full height cabinets, lower drawers, an induction cooktop, downdraft exhaust*, wall oven, quartz countertop, under cabinet lighting, and LED lights on dimmers where possible. We were also planning to re-use the hardwood floor. *Decided against this option and went with a hood). I also wanted to avoid box stores as much as possible, so most items were sourced from small businesses or small chains. The

The major changes were: removed soffits, switched range to cooktop and moved to opposite end of kitchen, removed desk and added wall and speed ovens, added a pocket door to the original pantry, and created a functional and fun sun room.

Before

After
href="http://s1072.beta.photobucket.com/user/a2gemini/media/Kitchen/IMG_7308.jpg.html"; target="_blank">

Before

After

Cabinets: Brookhaven Autumn Cherry with a black glaze
Pulls: Baldwin Brass 5 and 8 inch arch pulls in antique brass
Countertop: Cambria Buckingham
Sink: Blanco Silgranit Cascade Divide Cafe Brown
Backsplash: Grazia Rixi Crema, Beach mosaic, and 2x2 accent pieces
Paint - BM Coastal Path and trim is Mascarpone
Faucet: Waterstone PLP 5400 Antique Brass
Soap Dispenser: Waterstone Antique Brass
Cooktop: Wolf Induction 36 inch
Hood: Broan Evolution 3
Oven: Wolf E series
Speed Oven: GE Advantium (Monogram)
Refrigerator: Re-use Electrolux
Dishwasher: Re-use Miele
Disposer: 1 HP Insinkerator Evolution
Can Lights: Cooper RL07 3000K LED dimmable
Under Counter lights: GM Lighting LARC bars 3000K dimmable
Cabinet lighting: Kimberly triple bright dimmable tape lighting
Decorative lights: Hubbardton Forge
Rev-A-Shelf cutlery tray
Wusthoff double knife block
Lee Valley spring dividers(but ended up not using most of them)
Garden Window -put in about a year before the project but wish I had waited and put in a flush mount - I still might check to see if I can put in a Cambria seat.
Plug Mold: This was basic plug mold and the GC built an angle trim to mount.
GM LARC bars and Plug Mold - we did need to move the LED bars back as initially we had shadows
Now you can see the lights and plugmold - note the conduit to hide the wires..

Now you don't

What do I love about my new kitchen? Just about everything! I love the drawers, the full height cabinets, the UC lighting, the glass cabinet, my Waterstone faucet and most of all - the workflow!
I can now open the dishwasher and empty everything in the same area. From there, everything is close to the dining room for serving. I can organize and serve without feeling fragmented. I love my small bake zone and having a wall oven that I don't have to lean way down to get items out of it!

I also like my Spice Stack - it takes up so little room and I can use regular bottles

I love just sitting in the sun room and reading my "Nook" in my nook. My DH loves his new cave and the add on pull out pantry next to the refrigerator and the pocket door.

I am also having fun with my label maker - it almost makes me look organized!

What would I do differently? I think I would have looked into custom cabinets with plywood construction (still working on the broken drawer issue). In the bake area - I would have put deeper base and upper cabinets and throughout the kitchen might have gone with deeper uppers. An air switch for the disposer and one less outlet(If I used the air switch, I didn't need the switch and would have deleted the switch outlet to the left of the sink). I would have used 6 inch cans - at the time, I was going to use LED bulbs which fit better in 5 inch cans but the integrated LED cans are harder to find in 5 inch versions. I had to ditch my pegboard drawer insert due to the weight factor. I would not have ordered the Brookhaven knife insert - it was a total waste but maybe I can use it for a cutting board if I flip it over.
Lastly, I wouldn't try to do this again while changing jobs after 32 years, dealing with DM health issues from long distance, and trying to train for a marathon. (The marathon was nixed)

Sources:
Ktichen Cabinets: Chelsea Lumber Company, Chelsea, Michigan
Faucet and Hardware: The Compleaat Baldwin Brass Center, West Reading PA
Field and Mosaic tile: Tile-Shop.com in Califorinia (not Tileshop.com in Michigan - they are unrelated!
Accent Tiles: Malsnee Tile in Reading PA
New Appliances: Heydlauff Appliance, Chelsea MI
Decorative Lights - Gross Electric, Ann Arbor
General Contractor: Bill Brushaber, Manchester, MI
Counter Installer: Blasius, Inc Vassar MI

Here are some drawer pictures
Under cooktop - would have used a false top drawer connected to this one to allow taller pots and fry pans - but love the sideways storage - and I can move the dividers or remove some

Knife drawer with Wustoff knife block

Silverware drawer with Rev-a-shelf insert - how long will the silverware stay this organized!

China drawer - turned out too much weight for the cabinet constructions - so will be modifying this a bit - and won't be using the pegboard..

Gadget drawer - I have made some modifications since the picture was taken but you get the idea - this was compliments of Grumpy Dave and his MadeSmart bins

The towels even have a home- still need to identify a towel rack for drying - I tend to use the towels and then into the wash.

Here is what is hidden in the angle cabinet - I moved the vinegars up to the first shelf - so my DH has to share the space...

This is my skinny cabinet - I was going to switch out to 2 drawers but it works great as is - OK, I was previously busted for having too many cutting boards -but it keeps them all in place perfectly!

Most GW don't like blind corners - but it was already a done deal when I found you - so I made the best of it for now - there is a post where someone built their own turntables - I might do that downstream - but the upper 2 cabinets have turntables to improve access.

I do have a SuperSusan in the corner - keep my most used items on the left and then I only open the first door and snag them - If I need to rotate - then I open it completely.

And I can hide a few items in the corners..

Here are a few pictures of the sunroom - I refer to the cabinets on the ends as the his and her "caves" -Now DH has a place for his toys - the cabinet has power in it to charge electronics and note there are also plugs under the bench for power. The back of the bench back has a piano hinge so we can fold down the back if we want more air flow. The table rises up and moves closer to the bench seat for a cozy breakfast or dinner.

Table up!

The one drawer on each cave is a work space - it is just a big cutting board - but a nice feature.

View from my nook - I wish I had snagged a picture with all of the red leaves - but next year, I will be ready!

What is left - just a few odds and ends - I need to have the hanging light adjusted for proper height, a few light switches to swap. I am also thinking of a Boos kitchen cart - I found one on that looks like it might just work.

Thank you again for helping me along the process. I met so many new friends and hope to meet some of you in person downstream.

Comments (119)

• colorfast
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Jimson,

I made a similar wall to a2gemini's and had my microwave/convection oven built into it. Thanks to the many great threads on this board, I also made a small counter in the middle of the wall that can be used as a landing space for a hot dish from the microwave. We actually love that small counter for sack lunch prep in the mornings, so it does even more than I expected of it.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Sorry to doublepost. I'm not sure how I did that!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island - hoping to answer your questions.
    The bags on the cutting boards are the bread style boards with slots and no matter how hard I try to clean them, I always have crumbs - I hope to find a fabric sack that breathes betters.

The floor is original - it is some kind of oak (assuming red) - when we moved in, it was a dingy grey and perked up with a bit of TLC from the floor guy. It is a wood laminate and probably has 2-3 more light sandings to its life.

I will have to get back to you on the name of the door style - I have to find my kitchen box - it is MIA in my house - how is that possible with my organizations system.. It is a recessed "shaker" style panel with the edge beveled to about 45 degrees to decrease dust - but then I added the bottom trim to collect any dust that populates the kitchen. LOL

Today was IIVI day - a local orchestra name that played at our wedding - and this morning - I had 2 days left this week, 5 days next week, and 1 day the following week - yup health care is rewarding but time to look to new adventures.

Ginny- thank you - I struggled so much with colors - so glad everyone is liking it (or at least telling me so...)

Cookingbuff - I know the feeling - DM is 86 and I might work contract close to her and commute home - I will be watching to see if you go with the appliance set - if you can afford it - go with the L series so you can close the display and I think it has darker glass.

Jimson - the first KD (who I fired) had them in opposite poles. I like it so far - I no longer have a hot oven under me and it is 3 steps across the kitchen -so not so bad. I have the landing area for the oven and plan to get a Boos or similar cart on wheels.

Colorfast - I was wondering how I had so many new posts today. LOL - been there, done that before - mostly it is when I am multi tasking and look and see the submit message and then oops!

The fridge oven wall dimensions are
    33 inch oven cabinet
    34 inch landing area
    37 inch (plus 3/4 inch fridge wall on the right
    12 inch pantry
    If I did the math correctly - 116 3/4 total run. Here is a picture of the run - When I find my kitchen box- I can get one with measurements on it. Note the fridge is just a placeholder and not the FD that I have.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Island - Found my kitchen box - duh - it was on the desk in the spare room instead of the floor - I just had to look up instead of down...LOL

Just to note - the pantry was an addition after I realized that I didn't need to put the wall back in place as the GC moved the duct work through the basement instead of snaking it through the kitchen. Much more efficient and left an opening to add the pantry.

At the same time, we switched the pantry door to a pocket door and removed the outer light switch and put in an occupancy sensor switch. Now DH can't fume that I left the light on in the pantry.

Here are the final details
    Brookhaven Autumn Cherry with a black glaze. I kept trying to coordinate with the existing floor as everything looked like I was trying to match and failed - then when I saw this - I knew it was right - the black glaze coordinated with the floor perfectly so the cherry could stand on its own with the floor.

The door style is Colony.

I have to agree with colorfast - the space between the oven and fridge is so handy. Initially DH squatted his coffee maker there but quickly figured out that the space was "mine" and he discreetly moved it over the corner wall area.

If you have not seen this video - it is a hoot and actually kind of fun. It was done by the Dept of Ag in 1949 showing the ideal ergonomic kitchen. The good news is that my landing pad/baking zone exceeds the minimum requirement - the only difference is I must be a latent leftie as I put my mixer on the left side - initially tried on the right - just didn't work.

The video was posted on another post recently so I can't take credit for finding it.

http://archive.org/details/StepSavi1949

I mentioned that the back of the banquette folds down. It is a piano style hinge and allows us to access the windows - I would put the pillows off to one side for full ventilation or just re-assemble and use until I am ready to close the window - I can also just tip the back forward a bit to access the handle. DH said OK to banquette but had to have a back.

• jimson11
    11 years ago

Thanks for your input, Colorfast.

And thanks for the detailed response, a2.

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Sure thing. If you want to see a photo of my microwave wall, scroll down to the 7th and 8th photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: Colorfast's nearly done kitchen

• tivangar
    11 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and functional! They do a great job and should be very proud of you! I'm the one examined in the light of the device itself-36 "Wolf oven and hob with Wolf Advantium above. Did not get the actual distribution cabinet, only the general layout. Nice to everyone in your organization's offices!

Here is a link that might be useful: Download Duplicate Files Deletersoftwere

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Colorfast - now I remember your kitchen. Did you ever get out of the ABB club?

tivangar - I am having trouble finding your thread on your kitchen to help my memory.

Gosh - all of your comments bring tears to my eyes. I wish I could show my dad (deceased 6/2011) and I have only been able to show my mother via pictures on Apple TV.

• ellessebee
    11 years ago

Fantastic kitchen! I have been lurking around the GW for a while but am now in middle of planning my new kitchen and just have to jump in and ask questions! I, too, want an induction cooktop. I think I will go with 30" because I find I don't do that much cooktop-type cooking that I think I need the extra burner (although maybe if I had a good one I would....) So how do you like your Wolf? I am considering Wolf, Thermador, Jennair and Bosch - and, yes, I am duty bound also to look at what Sears/Kenmore has to offer. So I am soliciting opinions, reviews, comparisons etc. as well as any suggestions and advice for picking all the other appliances, too. Thanks for posting - and enjoy your new kitchen!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ellessebee- Thanks! I have a post about my Wolf on the appliance forum.
    Initially - I hated it - but I made friends with it over the past few months.
    I do get some buzzing - but this is most likely from the "vessels" vs the cooktop - I have an eclectic assortment of pans - the least likely to buzz - my Staub - which is one metal vs layered.
    I didn't think I deserved 5 burners - but it is nice to be able to pick and choose. - Thermador has come out with a zoneless induction but still pretty pricey.
    How about a flush mount - then you can cover the cooktop and have a work area - I bought a couple of nameless brand Silpat sheets (but bigger) and use them to cover the cooktop at times
    My first gathering - I came in to see my cooktop being used as a cutting board to cut up a pie - Ahh = Where is Bee - I need her saran wrap..

Try to find a demo center so you can touch, feel, and hear the cooktop in action.

Looking forward to seeing your kitchen progress!

• poohpup
    11 years ago

Wow! How did I miss your reveal?! It looks beyond fabulous!!! I'm so impressed with how organized you are!!! Another wow!! You have to be so tickled with how incredible your whole space turned out. There isn't a single element that I don't love. Love the gorgeous floors, the cabinet color, the counters . . . . Your BS is just perfect. Aren't you glad you took your time to get it right?

Love your caves too. What a great space for keeping organized and charged. Organization is obviously your forte! Such a beautiful, bright spot. You did a great job! I know you'll enjoy your beautiful new space for years to come.

If I ever post reveal pics of my kitchen, I don't think I'll be opening all the drawers like you did. lol

• cakelly1226
    11 years ago

a2- you know I love the colors since we share so many in our kitchens but definitely have envy over your nook! I would love a spot like that in my house:) so happy to have enjoyed our "virtual" friendship as we put the backsplash touches on our kitchens!

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Hey, gemini--I am on the homestretch regarding ABBS. I remember you were a supporter on my efforts!

I will say that waiting in this situation was probably good for me. Out of the gate, lots of friends in real life (IRL)recommended glass. The reason I waited was that I decided to use the remainder of my granite in our front upstairs bathroom. Then, I needed to do tile on two backsplashes AND, it turned out the tub/shower combo. So the project grew in scope. And Dad had surgery etc...

Finally got back to the backsplash. Still had samples of some pretty glass tile from Ann Sacks, and it just seemed like too much shiny stuff in the kitchen. I have a finalist now: It's a ceramic, stone-looking tile in gray with some blue in it. Matte finish. Sample is from DalTile. I am planning on field tiles, 6-inch, on point (diamond shaped).

• colorfast
    11 years ago

Ellessbee, I would seriously look at durability in regards to appliances. Just 16 months ago we bought a Kenmore French Door (made by Whirlpool) and we literally spent last night and tonight taking apart the freezer back and thawing it and unclogging the frozen drain line. I felt the lines were very inaccessible to fix this. It was nothing high tech like a circuit board. It was just poor design.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Poohpup - Glad you chimed in! Your kitchen was an inspiration and I think we started at the same time and same day. I felt like I was dragging my feet at times - but I just didn't want to sign if it didn't feel right. I only look organized - deep down, I am a total disaster - so by forcing myself to organize with this new kitchen, I am hoping it works! Thank you so much for taking time to comment.

Colorfast - Sounds like it will be perfect for your kitchen. I understand about aging parents. My DD passed away and have been making trips in to help DM almost monthly plus daily phone and sometimes FaceTime calls - she is legally blind and has difficulty getting the iPad operational - but it is fun when successful!

Appliance quality is important - but I also like to think of the amortization over the life of the appliance. I went mid to upper but not over the top - the wow factor of some high end appliances is amazing but since I plan to retire in 6 more work days....

• finestra
    11 years ago

Beautiful - so warm and so organized! It looks great. Congrats and enjoy!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Finestra- thank you - just heading to kitchen to bake cookies, cook black bean soup and then some Canadian lobster claws for dinner.

• Jody
    11 years ago

FINALLY got a chance to check out your kitchen reveal!!! It is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! Love what you did with your BS, the mosaics running thru it .... pulls everything together perfectly.

And so ORGANIZED!!! You can tell you cook/bake a lot!! Me, not so much. And I could never get that organized.

You did a great job of putting everything together and it all blends seamlessly .... ENJOY ;)

jody

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jody jjean
    Thanks for taking time to look at my post - I know you have been complete for some time but you were so helpful when I was just getting started with the BS issues especially. I went back and looked at your several times as I was planning - also the JC tiles were in the final run but we knocked off their crema as just too dark and the Irish ones - just weren't right (I think it might be Chapter 17 but don't quote me on that one)

I hope you are enjoying your kitchen! And where is the snow - it is ridiculous that there is no snow anywhere - even Ironwood!

I am hoping to bake and cook a lot more and am currently ogling a Boos or similar type cart to make a portable island. Even though my bake area exceeds the 1949 DOA specifications for a baking area, I feel that I could use a bit more space when making cookies and cakes. I think I am a good cook and baker but lack the artistic touch at the end. Maybe when I have more time....

Now - you all saw how organized everything is in the kitchen - so last night, I decided to make cut out cookies - I have not made cut out cookies in years as it is so much easier to drop or scoop especially in my old kitchen.

So, I made the batter, and put in the fridge to chill it. I went to go get the cookie cutters (and had a friend over ogling the kitchen as I am explaining the organization) - Well, no cookie cutters to be found..... I looked everywhere including the basement boxes.

This morning, I had an epiphany and went back to the basement in the Christmas items and there is a large holiday tin can (think popcorn size) and written on the top - "Cookie Cutters" and Misc items. I remember when I was packing the kitchen, I said - I won't need these until next Christmas, so away they went..

I had a couple unused MadeSmart bins in my baking area (top shelf but not used very often) and plopped them in there for now. I was so relieved as most of the cookie cutters were my DMs and maybe even GMs.

I also found the extra pieces to the Cuisinart food processor and now can do more than mix up a few items. The food processor was also my DMs.

Wishing everyone a safe and Happy Holiday Season!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mudworm - not sure if you will see this - I had a panic attack over the past few days as I realized I posted mis-information.

The table came from King's Chosen in A2. It is called Grand River and is a joint venture with the Amish and English. (I said Grand Rapids).

They usually don't do lift top as a standard item and we had to modify the dimensions, add the bottom shelf and the usual 25 lb counter weight.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

a2, i had been waiting forever for your reveal, then don't know how i missed it!! anyway, it is gorgeous as I expected!!
    i am in total awe of your organizational skills!
    I especially love your cool custom table, your banquette, and love your glass display cab too.
    hope you enjoy and put your kitchen to good use for the holidays!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Michoumonster - Thanks for chiming in. I never thought I could pull this all together as I struggled on every decision.

We were away for Christmas and are celebrating tonight- I snagged some beautiful Canadian lobster tails at a local store - can't imagine they made any $$ on them and hope they taste as good as they look!

It's official - I am now retired - although will be working part time and possibly taking on a contract position.....

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lorenza5064 - Here is the information that you wanted about the table
    The table starts out as a coffee height table and then pops up and toward the banquette seat.
    You can buy many of them commercially - I first saw one made by Lazy Boy. The Amish market a lot of Mission style (Royal Mission) and some very classic styles.

I was all ready to go with the Royal Mission and then I saw the Grand River series. I worked with King's Chosen in Ann Arbor and had the table "customized" to meet our needs. Grand River wasn't made in the pop up style but were willing to make it for me. I wanted it to start at 20 inches and go up to 30-31 inches from the floor. The table is a joint venture with the Amish and English.

We customized the pop up dimensions, depth, and we needed to add the bottom shelf for structure. We also chose a custom stain and have a few more pieces of the same furniture in our great room.

The key thing that I wanted to accomplish was to be able to see the window and banquette - no obstructed view from the kitchen.

Here is a side view of the table showing how it elevates

The back of the bench folds down so we can access the windows. The hinge is a piano hinge

Table down
    {{gwi:1989468}}

Table up from kitchen area
    {{gwi:1841079}}

View of kitchen from bench - sorry for the light reflections

Normal pillow configuration - Note that some of the pillows are reversible depending on my mood. GC thought I had too many pillows - but I pop one behind my head and one under my knees and very comfy nook reading spot!

And yesterday - I didn't realize that Sparky put the table backwards and I used it in the kitchen - popping up to use as a work table - I plan to return it to the original configuration - but had a little fun!

• Lorenza5064
    11 years ago

A2, I am putting in a wolf induction cooktop, exactly like yours. Did you go with the recommended 39" base? I understand it could be placed in a 36" base, but wolf recommends 39". I think I understand your suggestion for combining the false top drawer with middle drawer to create a deeper drawer for oversized pans and lids. Appreciate the details re weight limits for your drawers. I am surprised that the weight issue was rate limited by the construction of the drawer box and not the glides....

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I will measure when I am home later.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

A2Gemini Wow Great kitchen! I love the window seat and the table thanks so much for ALL of the details and the organizing drawer photos. So helpful. If I ever get half as organized it will be a success.
    I see you have an Advantium I know its asking alot but could you tell me how far the handle sticks out from the cabinet? I may have to put mine behind sliding doors and there is NO info on this anywhere.
    Thank you so much or all the info and pictures. The little details make the kitchen work so well.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lorenza - My memory was correct - we went with 37 inches - seems to be working fine - I think you have the concept correct on the double facade front - you can even put a holder silicone handle pot holders (the thin ones that fit over the handle or the pincher style) - I might try to change ours downstream....
    The weight limit could have been avoided by using more than 1 front screw - make sure the installer puts in multiple screws for support. Brookhaven paid for the installer to return and reinforce the drawers - so we should be OK now. We still have to get the original one fixed up. BH will replace it and upgrade it to plywood- but risk cracking the counter and tile - so we are going to split the drawer into 2 long drawers with one front - similar to my cooktop idea. I will be interested in whether you have any buzzing with the Wolf. The thermador folks claim no buzzing but I do have buzzing especially when the pans are cold. I have many different high end pans.

ppbenn - Thanks! Be happy to help you with the adventium questions. The handle sticks out 2 inches from the oven and the total distance to the wall cabinet is 3 inches. I have been using my advantium a lot recently. The speed function is amazing. I made Zingerman pot pies in the oven in 20 minutes and they came out golden brown and done all the way through (usually takes at least an hour). We have the 240 advantium - the review were better overall. Can't wait to see your kitchen.

• jamrock
    11 years ago

Hi A2!!

Your kitchen looks awesome! I looked right after you alerted me that you posted but I just didn't get a chance to comment. There is nothing like being in a kitchen where the layout works. It is even more apparent when more than one person can move about in there and it still works!

You had your say and most things are the way you wanted. There is always some compromise - that cannot be avoided in a reno - but this is yours and it looks great and sounds like it functions great!

I love the way you have organized your drawers (and I love the look of those berries and muffins too :-)). It is good to have all the info you shared because I will be going to your thread when I go to finally organize. Believe me, my label maker is calling my name but I haven't been able to answer as yet. - hopefully sometime soon.

I hope you smile every time you walk into that kitchen - at least for the first year! If not, be sure to smile the next time you walk in there because it is worthy!

Enjoy!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jamrock - Thanks - I am smiling except at our dish drawer which I am waiting to get fixed.

Making turkey soup right now -I have to learn better soup recipes..

Are you still enjoying your Blanco Cascade sink - you were so helpful when I was trying to figure out the faucet placement - I think I went with a different placement than yours - but it was helpful in figuring things out.

I will be watching for your kitchen organization pictures - it is so helpful to be organized in a disorganized world.

Label makers Rock!

• Hoffowitz
    11 years ago

a2gemini, I would like you to know that you are the reason that I found GardenWeb! We are building a new house & we have chosen Cambria Buckingham for our countertops. When I saw a sample of this, I loved it however it was only a small sample (probably 12X12)...now that we are plunking down the big $ & ordering it, I am getting worried if I will love it when I have it for real. I googled Buckingham & your post was pulled up ~ your kitchen is beautiful! I was hoping to get your opinion of Cambria & the Buckingham pattern ~ is it all you wanted? Something else I am worried about are exactly what colors "dominate" ~ is is definitely the golds, browns & grays that I see (I ask b/c when I saw a different sample today, I was thinking I saw orange...which I don't necessarily want but can live with...)
    Our flooring is going to be similar to yours & we are going to have an island that will be done in black granite (surprised that my usually pretty basic husband came up with that idea ~ he said, "I guess all of those home shows did it to me!") We are also finalizing our decision on sinks this weekend & Blanco is in the running...saw you have a Miele dishwasher ~ getting that too...know I will love that! Thanks for any help & I am glad that when I googled, your kitchen came up!

This post was edited by Hoffowitz on Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 22:09

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hoffowitz
    Welcome to GW
    I love my buckingham.
    It is warm and inviting.
    It does hide any spills, so sometimes I have to feel for them.
    I was worried if it would look to orange also, but played off the warm tones and I don't see any orange hues with the colors I picked.

The backsplash was difficult to decide what coordinated but when I finally picked- I knew it was right.

If you want a showy BS, I would go with something else. If you want the counter to be the star- buckingham or some similar designs would be great

From iPhone with usual text errors.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump for Zoey

• zoey75
    10 years ago

Thanks so much! Even better than I imagined :)

• shelayne
    10 years ago

I was sure I commented on your kitchen back when you first posted it, but I don't see my comment here. I hate when that happens. :/

It is completely and totally lovely! It is so warm, yet very spacious. You must be delighted! Your banquette turned out so nice! I love that table--such a clever design.

Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

• shelayne
    10 years ago

I was sure I commented on your kitchen back when you first posted it, but I don't see my comment here. I hate when that happens. :/

It is completely and totally lovely! It is so warm, yet very spacious. You must be delighted! Your banquette turned out so nice! I love that table--such a clever design.

Congratulations on your beautiful kitchen!

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zoey -my pleasure - looking forward to your final decision. I see that Badger posted on your BS post.

Shelayne - been there, done that! Since I am on the road quite a bit these days, I frequently will look on my phone but want to wait until I am on a real computer to comment and then realize, I never posted. Thank you for the compliments. I am still working out a few bugs (not 6 legged versions) but loving it!
    I had seen the pop up tables - mostly in mission or traditional - but I wanted a different style - so worked with the furniture store/Amish to come up with this table.

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate - anyone having issues with slow post and then duplicates?

This post was edited by a2gemini on Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 20:06

• zoey75
    10 years ago

Thanks!! I will be posting with granite & backsplash questions soon. And would love your opinion :)

I am lost with this: " I see that Badger posted on your BS post". Might be that I am exhausted from my kids keeping me up all night..

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Zoey - oops - Badgergal responded on SmPops post about backsplash - sorry for the confusion.

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

A2, this is the first that I saw your final reveal! All I can say is wow! I love your nook and I bet Kindling in your nook would be fun too!

I have always wanted a window seat and yours is just gorgeous.

Your glass fronted cabinet is beautiful, I love your sparkling crystal, it is just lovely.

I sure hope to do at least a mini reveal soon. I want to wait til the kitchen is painted and then I will be ABB!

• Peke
    10 years ago

A2Gemini, I love everything about your kitchen. I keep looking at your reveal pics over and over. It is just beautiful! I know you are very excited about being finished. Peke

• a2gemini
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Holly-Kay - Thank you! I am sure a Kindle would work just as great as a Nook! I can't wait to see your reveal- so far I have seen your faucet and know you will have a Never-MT installed. Thought of you as we slid through PA recently.

Peke - thank you as well. I wish I could say it was totally done but still do not have the drawer issue resolved. Hopefully soon! Also, I can't wait to see that gorgeous Sea Pearl slab installed in your kitchen!! I went back to take a peek of Peke's slab!

• kirstenl
    8 years ago

Hello. I know I'm coming to your kitchen party late, but your kitchen is very close to what I am thinking of installing. Maybe you can answer a few questions? I have almost settled on the Cambria Buckingham, but I am worried it will make the kitchen too dark. I am having cabinets made, the stain will be very similar to the cabinets you installed. My floor is a white/off white porcelain tile (existing). I don't have can lights, only pendants over the islad, sitchen sink and light from west facing windows. I would love to know how you feel about your backsplash a many years later? I am thinking of using a plain subway tile, but worried it is too plain for the gorgeous Cambria. Thanks for any help you can throw my way!

• nmh92
    8 years ago

I'm very jealous of that pull-out pantry next to the refrigerator. Beautiful job!

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Kirsten

i just found your post - sorry where do you live? If close, we can arrange a visit

i am very happy with my Buckingham and tiles. I bought some sealer to re-seal them but they look brand new.

The Buckingham looks new as well. I will warn you that it is hard to see crumbs and spills so I use my sene of feel to find things This is true of any busy counter

Areyou doing UCL lights?

I would definitely put dimming bright lights in the ceiling

with a lighter floor - you should be fine

NMH-Tanks! the best thing is DH can find his own bicycle treats and snacks

I have a pantry but it is awkward - narrow and deep

a bit cryptic from my iPhone

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

A2 - I just read that you used Heydlauff's for your appliances. I bought my range, wall oven and hood from them. I really like them. They were great to deal with and really nice answering my zillion questions and installing and coming back to fix a BlueStar issue. My sales guy was Ben, who I think may be new, but he was so sweet (young kid). Someday I'm hoping to get a Speed Queen laundry set, and I'm thinking of buying from them too.

Love A2, btw! My Birkenstock store is on 4th and we just bought a membership to the Hands On Museum and took the grandboys last week. Lots to do in A2.

• a2gemini
    8 years ago

Hi Debbi- they were very nice and stored my appliances until I was ready for them.

Love the 4th stree Birkie store. They also carry Finn Comfort which fit my feet better than Birks.

When my niece and nephew lived closer - loved taking them to the HOM

Did you go to the art fair?

Do you live in A2 or Chelsea? We bicycle to Chelsea(and beyond) almost every Saturday.

I have Miele washer and dryers but if they ever fail - plan to get Speed Queen as well. Good to know Heydlauffs carry them.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

We live in Woodhaven. A little south of Detroit. We love Chelsea. There's a bbq place there that's very yummy. And of course a Biggby! We took the kids to HOM on Friday, so they were just setting up the art fair. I love those, but the boys are kind of little for them (2&4).

• Debbi Branka
    4 years ago

A2 - I lost track of you and can't seem to message you. We just bought hardwood flooring for our entire house at Chelsea Lumber, and I ordered my Waterstone yesterday! So excited! I want to know how your Waterstone is holding up. I would still love to meet up some time. We moved to Ida 2 years ago, so we're in A2 more often now.