Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ssdarb

Not sure how to use my warming drawer

ssdarb
9 years ago

We are a large family, scratch cook almost everyday and we entertain a lot. So when we gutted and rebuilt the kitchen I got a warming drawer. I sort of assumed I would get a lot of use out of it, but I really haven't. I think the problem is that I just don't know all of the useful tasks it can do.

The owner's manual doesn't seem to be written for a cook, it's mostly filled with tables of which temperature to use for which foods.

Everything else I chose for the kitchen has been just perfect and well-used. I may have made a mistake including this appliance, or maybe I am just not used to it yet.

I read in another post that it can be used for slow-cooking. I could do that. As far as bread proofing, I haven't gotten into making bread yet; just don't seem to have the time. Even the simplest task of 'keeping something warm' has eluded me because I have tried that a few times and just dried out the meal I was saving for DH coming home late from work, or made it mushy. So obviously I'm doing something wrong.

Can I get some practical tips on how folks are using theirs on a regular basis for family meals and also how they've used it for entertaining?

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I love it for slow cooking! I love it for bread proofing (which means bread, rolls, pizza dough, any kind of dough that needs to rise). We have "buffet" style meals or parties all the time and I set everything out on the island, and then after the first round, put the warm stuff in the drawer on low. It keeps it warm (or cheese melty or whatever). We rarely use for warming just a plate of dinner, but have done that too. I guess if the plate is getting dried out, I would cover with foil. If stuff is mushy, don't cover. Mine has a setting (a slide bar) for moist and dry. So if I have fried chicken in there, I put it on dry to keep it crispy. If I have mashed potatoes (uncovered) or rolls, I put it on moist. I can't think of other stuff I use it for right now, but I use it all the time!

• Gooster
    9 years ago

If you have moist items, put a small cup of water in there and close the vent. Cover them as appropriate. If you have crisp items, make sure you keep the vent open.

I use ours for sides that need to wait for a main to get done, mains so the oven can be freed, keeping bread/pies warm and, most often, keeping takeout pizza (and other foods) warm.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I don't have one but my toaster oven has a warm feature that I use a lot.

I've been converted to warming plates for hot meals. I REALLY like this, it's just remembering to do it. Having a dedicated space would be great because I'd keep some in there all the time.

I use it to hold foods I'm batch cooking like pork chops, chicken pieces, pancakes, until ready to serve...we like to start the meal together if possible.

I'll hold sides or rolls while waiting for the rest of the meal to come together.

Casseroles and meats always benefit when allowed to rest. Your drawer would be a perfect place to allow that.

Some people put their clean towels in there for a little luxury after a shower! If having a more formal event (or with small kids), it's perfect for keeping moist cloths for cleaning hands/faces, just test the temp for the little ones. Feels wonderful!

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    9 years ago

Wow this sounds like a nice appliance! My DH always wants his dinner to be steaming hot ;-)

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Update: Last night I put dinner (a corning ware full of pulled pork) in the warming drawer because my daughter wanted the oven to bake banana bread. The pork stayed in the drawer while we all ate our salads. This is a very normal use for us.

Just trying to give you more uses as I think of/remember them.

• ssdarb
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great suggestions! I do slow cook a lot, currently using a plug-in slow cooker for that. I can easlily see browning something on the stove, adding whatever needs to be added and then putting it in the warming oven to slow cook. That way only one pot would be needed, eliminating one thing to wash.

My warming oven came with 2 stainless steel racks. Do I have to put the pot on that or can I just put it directly on the bottom of the drawer?

My daughter likes to bake and wants to start learning breads, pizza dough, croissants, and such, so I will read the manual for the bread proofing instructions.

Heated plates sound nice too, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I put mine directly on the bottom of my drawer. I have never used the rack so far in 2.5 years. Does your drawer have a "proof" setting? If so, just set it on that and then follow your bread recipe for how long it should rise. Proof means 90 degrees (or so).

• mostone
    9 years ago

We put our pizza in the warming drawer to keep it hot in between eating slices. I put it on the low and the crisp settings. I also frequently use it when for example I have finished sautéing a meat and the recipe says to tent the meat with foil while making a pan sauce. I don't tent - I use the warming drawer. And also when entertaining it's great to have some courses finished and waiting in the warming drawer while I complete the rest of the meal. I think the key is to keep your settings low so the food is kept warm but doesn't continue to cook.

• mostone
    9 years ago

We put our pizza in the warming drawer to keep it hot in between eating slices. I put it on the low and the crisp settings. I also frequently use it when, for example, I have finished sautéing a meat and the recipe says to tent the meat with foil while making a pan sauce. I don't tent - I use the warming drawer. And also, it's great to have some courses finished and waiting in the warming drawer while I complete the rest of the meal if the timing isn't perfect for everything to be done at the same time. I think the key is to keep your settings low so the food is kept warm but doesn't continue to cook.

• zeebee
    9 years ago

I've been converted to warming plates for hot meals. I REALLY like this, it's just remembering to do it. Having a dedicated space would be great because I'd keep some in there all the time. - alex9179

This is one of the two main reasons we incorporated a warming drawer into our new kitchen. Spouse is compulsive about heating coffee/tea mugs before pouring in the beverage, and heating plates before serving. I cannot tell you how many gallons of water I've wasted, running the hot until it was hot enough and then filling the cup or rinsing the plate so it warmed up enough. We have a 30" w/d in the new kitchen so I can keep a few dinner plates and mugs in there at all times, and still have room to put in food.

(Other reason we got a w/d was that we eat very differently, due to dietary and health restrictions/preferences, and when my timing is off, it'll be nice to keep one dinner hot while the second is finishing cooking).

• alex9179
    9 years ago

Thank you ZeeBee. I read this in time to put my plates on "warm" in my toaster oven for dinner! Almost forgot...

I guess I know what will be on my wish list for a reno :)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County