Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_mb

What should go within easy reach of the cooktop?

emily_mb
14 years ago

What would you put within easy reach of the cooktop? Does it make sense to put:

>> 2 shallow drawers and one deep drawer (36" wide) under the cooktop island?

>> 3 shallow drawers and 1 deep drawer (18" wide) on the left of the cooktop?

>> 1 spice/oil pullout (6" wide) on the right and a tray/cutting board pullout (12") next to that? (There is no space across from the island it in the sink/prep area for a cutting board pullout.)

There is no storage above.

Comments (20)

• plllog
    14 years ago

Oh! Seeing the title of the thread my first reaction was a large lid and a fire extinguisher. Also an open box of baking soda (or, since it's an island, a decorative crock of it. I've never had a kitchen fire, but there's no time to think if it happens.

Also, I keep a spoon rest, salt/pepper and a couple other frequently used seasonings, oil, wooden spoons and silicone stirrers, flipping spatulas, cooking sized regular and slotted spoon, ladle if it fits, spatter guard screen. And pots, pans, lids. I keep my kettle on an unused burner.

Actually, something to wipe up spatters and spills with would be good.

The rest is negotiable. I keep the colanders and knives near the sink. A lot of what isn't very task specific depends on where the place to put it away is.

More smaller shallow drawers could aid in organization, but you get less actual room. The question is if you put heavier organizing baskets in the bigger drawer will you eat up all you've gained? Only you know.

• castironcook2
    14 years ago

Next to the cooktop: your mise en place (frequently used items such as olive oil, vinegar, etc.), one container for your wooden spoons, another container for your frequently used cooking utensils.

Within easy reach: an appropriate, up-to-date fire extinguisher.

Keep the rest of it--your spices, knives, canopener, whatever--in whichever drawer seems handy.

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

So, do the number and size of shallow/deep drawers and pullouts seem reasonable? More deep drawers instead of shallow drawers? Pull out for lids instead of cutting board/tray? If right handed, should the pullout for spices/oils be on the right or on the left?

• plllog
    14 years ago

...well...have you checked your stuff? It's mostly a matter of what stuff you have and how well it fits. Check the inner dimensions of the drawers, because that's what you have to work with. Too annoying to have the pot lid not fit. Same with the pullout location: Does which hand reaches in mean more to you? Or whether it's on the aisle side or the door side? What other stations want access to the pullout, who has to move to open it, etc.?

• John Liu
    14 years ago

What I keep right by the range:
    - Oils (olive, sesame, canola, etc), sauces (soy, hoisin, teriyaki, etc), vinegars, wine (cooking, port, rice)
    - BBQ lighter
    - Salt and pepper in little bowls
    - Utensils (spoons, ladles, spatulas, spiders, etc), one bin for wooden and one bin for metal
    - Tasting spoons
    - Soft butter in a handy crock
    - Towels and hotpads
    - Wine glass

The fire extinguisher lives about 6 feet from the range - theory being, I don't want it too close to the fire. Ditto the lid that is large enough to cover any pot or pan I have. I've never thought of the baking soda idea.

As I have a range rather than a cooktop, all of this lives in an upper cabinet or on the counter.

• stonedude
    14 years ago

a bottle of Scotch :)

I have a small kitchen and I am getting more into cooking, my fiance especially likes it.

for me;

1. spices is a must
    2. a cutting board
    3. spoons and all my utensils I use for cooking. spaghetti spoon (i dont know the real name), whisk, can opener, spatulas etc.
    4. bottle of scotch to sip on while making dinner. Maybe a bottle of wine for the ladies?
    5. I have a storrage drawer in the oven for pans, so thats a big plus.
    6. in the lower cabinets on either side I have mixing bowls, baking dishes etc. as well as pots and pans.
    7. dish rags and towels, I make a mess so I have a drawer full of them next to the oven.

does this help at all, or do I not even belong in here? haha

• plllog
    14 years ago

ACK! I left the wine and potholders off my list. Thanks, John!

Stonedude--you're doing fine! But is the drawer in the oven? Or maybe under it? Bit of advice? Change number 4 to "lady", even if you were including your mom. Fiancee will like the singular. :-)

Oxfordmom, we've had several threads like you mentioned before, but I don't know that anyone has done a compliation. Buehl, who is uberorganized did one for her own kitchen, which a lot of people have found useful. Sometimes one specific one is more useful as a snapshot than averages. I found a version in hsw_sc's clippings but can't even post a link right now with all the problems on the site (I had to use Google to find this). http://clippings.gardenweb.com/clippings/hsw_sc (it's #7)

• Fori
    14 years ago

Small kitchens are great--no need to worry about what goes near the cooktop.

I like that I have a sink and dishwasher right there too. Also the refrigerator. And liquor cabinet. Stonedude, ladies drink rum or gin. ;P

I like a wide shallow drawer for spices. Don't you have to squat to read labels in a pullout? I squat OK still, but prefer to keep my eye on what I'm cooking while looking for spices!

• marcolo
    14 years ago

Thermometers. Tongs. Cooking ladles, spoons, strainers, chopsticks. Wooden spoons and pasta forks. Long cooking chopsticks. Spatter guards. Wire racks. Trivets. Potato ricers. Colanders.

Spices should be near the prep area, too, since if you're making a recipe from, ahem, Cooks Illustrated, you're going to be measuring and mise-ing rather than just chucking weeds and seeds into the cookpot.

I've been in some kitchens where there's a garbage pail right next to the stove. I assume this is for cooks who are less than successful at following Cooks Illustrated recipes.

• plllog
    14 years ago

::snicker:: Marcolo, you're on a roll.

Immersion blender!

On spices in a pullout--you do need to put thing in order and keep them in order if you want to grab things easily, but they're very convenient if you do.

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

this might help!

also kmgards utensil and spice drawers and rhome's dish drawer etc

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0911160119396.html?25

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Buehl
    14 years ago

This might also help...

Cabinet 1: 24" base, 3 drawers
    Cabinet 2: 30" base, 2 drawers + Warming Drawer
    Cabinet 3: 6" filler pullout w/3 shelves
    Cabinet 4: 36" cooktop base, 3 drawers
    Cabinet 5: 6" filler pullout w/3 shelves
    Cabinet 6: 31" base, 1 drawer + Microwave Drawer
    Cabinet 7: 36" corner sink base w/15-3/4" square sink
    Cabinet 8: 24" base, 4 drawers
    Cabinet 9: 27" base, 1 drawer + 2 roll out shelves (2 doors)
    Cabinet 10: 18"W x 15"D x 36"H upper, 4 shelves
    Cabinet 11: 21"W x 12"D x 30"H upper, 3 shelves
    Cabinet 12: 18"W x 15"D x 36"H upper, 4 shelves
    Cabinet 13: 18"W x 15"D x 36"H upper, 4 shelves
    Cabinet 14: 21"W x 12"D x 30"H upper, 3 shelves
    Cabinet 15: 18"W x 15"D x 36"H upper, 4 shelves
    Cabinet 16: 36"W x 24"D over-the-refrigerator cabinet
    Cabinet 17: 33" base, 3 drawers
    Cabinet 18: 18" Trash Pullout + 1 drawer (2 bins)
    Cabinet 19: 36" sink base w/35-1/2" sink
    Cabinet 20: 24" DW
    Cabinet 21: 27" base, 3 drawers
    Cabinet 22: 31.5" double-oven cabinet, 1 drawer + cabinet above w/dividers for tray storage & 1 shelf
    Cabinet 23: 23"W x 12"D x 36"H upper cabinet, 4 shelves
    Cabinet 24: 23"W x 12"D x 36"H upper cabinet, 4 shelves

• emily_mb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW! I am so impressed. Thank you. The list of items helps and of all things, I realized that I don't have a fire extinguisher in my kitchen! Used to, once upon a time...
    PLACEMENT Question... If you are right handed, do you put the spice/oil pull out on your right or on your left??? I know, a bit obsessed, but maybe someone has an opinion.

• oxfordmom
    14 years ago

Wow, you are frighteningly organized. You should see the list I have been making to order my new cabinets. It includes such gems as "spices, oils and stuff". Perhaps I'll just print your list and use that as a guide for what to include in my estimate... Although the "assorted baking items" drawer that I was planning was going to be amazing.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

It really helps you plan what type of cabinets to get where, if you plan your storage ahead of time...before you order cabinets.

If you read the "Planning for Storage" post in the "Read Me" thread, it gives other tips for storage planning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I placed my spices based on where my Prep Zone was, not on left/right handedness.

My primary Prep Zone is to the right of the cooktop, so my spices went in the 6" pullout to the right of the cooktop.

My Baking Center is to the left of the cooktop, so my baking sprinkles, cookie cutters, baking utensils, etc. are to the left of the cooktop.

• firstmmo
    14 years ago

I followed Buehl's advice a few weeks back and did exactly the same thing....planning each and every drawer and I found that I ended up changing a few drawers as a result. It was super helpful!

I also think it helps to think about how you cook. My daughter is a leftie and it's funny how she has mentioned that our drawers are "backwards" for her! Never even thought about it, but potholers are to the left, utencils to the right--for the obvious reason that I am righthanded!

• napagirl
    14 years ago

Buehl -
    I just clicked on the link to "buehl's drawers" posted by desertsteph above, and saw a photo of your "extension cord drawer". I'd like to pass along a tip I got from a sewing instructor many years ago .....

Keep your Extension Cords neat by inserting them into an old toilet paper roll ... (wrap the cord back and forth in your hand, then insert it into the paper roll).

I also want to thank you for the two drawings of your cabinet drawers with a listing of their contents.
    Ingenius and soooo helpful.

• gursk
    13 years ago

My MIL does this - works really well. The heavier roles that come with the expensive 3-ply TP seem to work best. :)

Some people even go to town with the hot glue gun...

Here is a link that might be useful: Fancy fabric-covered roll

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County